Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2013, 05:36 PM

3 posts, read 6,067 times

Advertisements

Hi there! We are looking at buying a lot in the Point. My husband was concerned about the commute as he does not want an hour commute. We live in Skybrook near Concord Mills and he has a 30 minute communte. We want a boatslip and were looking at the Point in Mooresville. I thought the commute may have gotten better with the recent opening of exit 35. Does anyone know if this is the case? Also, I had heard getting down Brawley School road was a nightmare. I am not sure if that is still the case now that the construction is over and the road is widened. Does anyone know if it is pretty easy getting down Brawley School now and when school is in session? Thanks for your help! Also, any news on the redline or express buses being approved?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 06:26 PM

I forgot to mention that my husband leaves the house at 7am and leaves uptown for the commute home between 6-6:30pm.

Old 07-07-2013, 06:30 PM

298 posts, read 628,122 times
We live in the Point and there is no traffic on Brawley Rd anymore. I took my son to the airport at 6:00am recently and it took 40 minutes. There was a slight amount of traffic around Exit 25 but it freed up pretty quick.

Old 07-07-2013, 06:43 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,914,217 times
Previous poster is correct that Brawley School Rd is traffic free now with the completion of construction.

The new Exit 35 should relieve the little bit of sluggishness between exit 33 and Brawley School Rd on Williamson Rd.

Going south in the mornings on 77 is not too bad now because of school recess and summer vacations. The new exit will not do anything for that Fall to Spring congestion from exit 33 to 25 in the mornings.

I went to the airport about 2 weeks ago for a 7:50AM flight and did pretty good on traffic. But once school starts again.... Oh Boy!

Old 07-07-2013, 06:53 PM

Oh and BTW, the Red Line is in limbo as far as I know right now. The biggest issue right now is with Norfolk Southern holding the cards. You can some read some information here: LYNX Red Line - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not sure what's new with express busses. I know Mooresville cut subsidies for one line awhile back. Not sure if anything developed after that.

The biggest thing now on the I-77 corridor between Mooresville and Charlotte are the Lexus Lanes that our local politicians want to put in. Rather than forcing Raleigh to spend some dollars on Charlotte area roads, our leaders want to enter a 50 year contract with a private company to install toll lanes along I-77.

You can read here about a local grassroots group that is exposing the fallacy that these lanes are in our best interests: Widen I-77 | A Citizen's Group Dedicated to Widening I-77 with General Purpose Lanes I wish them success against these pro-toll zealots.

Old 07-07-2013, 07:53 PM

Approximately how long in minutes does it take to drive from the Point to uptown then? Thirty to 45 minutes? How about the drive home? How much does that change in the fall?

Old 07-07-2013, 08:29 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,464,792 times
Leaving at 7am would get him ahead of some of the traffic congestion in the morning, would be even better if he could leave at 6:30-45. I'd say probably 40 minutes or so but obviously that could vary considerably depending on traffic, weather, accidents, etc. of course.

Coming home at 6 wouldn't be a lot of fun from exit 18 north until he gets to 25 or so, sometimes further north. Backs up through that area due to the lanes narrowing down to just two on 77n. I'll let someone else that drives it daily comment on the time to get home though at that time of day.

Old 08-01-2013, 02:01 PM

2,028 posts, read 5,429,728 times
Husband commutes daily to Charlotte from just off Canvasback Rd off Brawley-we're 1.5 miles from Williamson.
Yes the new exit (plus the opening of the 4 lanes on Brawley from Williamson to it) has made a difference-maybe 5 minutes. There are 3 sets of signals on Williamson between exit 33 and Brawley, plus other roads into SDs and retail and it's only 2 lanes. From exit 35 to Williamson on Brawley there are fewer signals and roads to SDs and retail- so quicker.
My husband tells me that even in commute times the new intersection is very quiet and unlike the signal at the top of the exit33 off ramp, the signals change quickly.
He leaves the house anywhere between 6 and 6.45 and travels to Morehead street (exit 9) and it takes him 30-35 mins.
Coming home at 3.30 is about the same. if it's 4.30-5.30 then maybe an hour. After 5.30 it starts to improve again, and after 6 is fine.

Brawley is no where near as bad as exit 28 (Catawba/Cornelius), exit 25 (Sam Furr/ Huntersville) or exit 23(Gilead Rd/Huntersville)

Old 08-01-2013, 06:56 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,240,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macypalmer View Post
Approximately how long in minutes does it take to drive from the Point to uptown then? Thirty to 45 minutes? How about the drive home? How much does that change in the fall?
Exit 35 doesn't really have an impact on morning commute times on I-77. The bottlenecks are south of exit 35, so it doesn't help with the morning commute. It hasn't seemed to help with the evening commute either on I-77.

Old 08-02-2013, 05:54 AM

Exit 35 has taken time off my ride home as now I can hop on 77N and get off at the new exit with barely one or two cars waiting at the traffic light. You can get to Brawley School Rd and Williamson much quicker. When I used to come up Williamson from Exit 33, it was a hard ride to Brawley School Rd.

BUT, it's not all a bed of roses. This is summer and there is considerably less traffic on the roads right now during the commute times. Once we hit late August and we have people back to normal schedules with work, school, etc, there will be more volume on all routes. Then we'll see what the benefit of the new Exit 35 will be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte