Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2013, 12:43 PM

31 posts, read 105,528 times

Advertisements

We are a family ( dad 48, mom 40) with two sons ages 13 and 14, one going into 8th grade, the other starting high school. I will be working in Mooresville. We have a budget of $300,000-400,000 for a new house. We are looking for upscale type subdivisons with good schools within Huntersville, Cornelius, and Davidson. We are both from the New England area, but have been living in Boca Raton, Fl the past 15 years. We prefer homes no older than 15 years old. Also want to be as far away from any crime pockets as can be etc, granted there is crime everywhere etc.
We may also want to check out Highland Creek area in zip code 28269 we have been told is pretty nice as well.
My wife will be looking for a job once we settle in and would prob be traveling to north charlotte from these areas I assume or even to Concord.
If someone could name and provide approx. 5 subdivisons within each of the towns above with homes within my price range our family would greatly appreciate it.
Another question we heard Concord is a nice area, while I have mapquest Concord to Mooresville it says around 22 miles on average didn't know if that would be a horrible commute . Again any information with the subdisvions names would be appreciated so we can take a drive around on our initial visit on our own.
Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 04:09 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,959,730 times
I live in northwest Concord (Cabarrus county) right on the line of Meck county. My husband commuted to Mooresville for work and it wasn't a bad commute. You can go right up Rte 3 and end up on Main street in Mooresville.

There are a few neighborhoods you could take a look at around here. Cannon Crossing,Winding Walk (though lots are really close to being sold out), Skybrook (there are 3 neighborhoods and the main neighborhood has a Huntersville address and half the neighborhood is in Meck and the other in Cabarrus) and then Highland Creek. The high school would be Cox Mill (Winding Walk,Cannon Crossing or Cabarrus side of HC and Skybrook) on the Cabarrus side and I think Mallard Creek ( If you live in Highland Creek. If you choose the Meck side of Skybrook it would North Meck and I would not send my child there). The middle school would be Harris Road on the Cabarrus side and Ridge Road on the Meck side for HC but it's Alexander for the main Skybrook and I also wouldn't send my child there. You could also take a look at Christenbury and they go to Harris Road Middle and Cox Mill high.

We moved down here from the NoVa area 6 years ago and really enjoy living here. There are a couple of malls around as well as grocery stores and everything else you would need.

Old 07-14-2013, 06:58 PM

17 posts, read 30,109 times
Greetings! We have lived in Davidson for 14 years, during which I have commuted to uptown Charlotte for most of that time. Davidson is heaven. It purposely does not have lots of subdivisions ... at least not with identifying signs. The Town is very intense about its planning and people love the community. Here are some places to look:

The New Neighborhood *^
McConnell *
Bailey Springs^
Summer Walk^
Lake Davidson

_____
* everyone knows these neighborhoods, but they don't have identifying signs
^ Davidson has a planning principle based on 'density', and these neighborhoods reflect that ... smaller lots, front porches, detached garages out back

Really recommend looking at non-subdivision houses in Davidson also. Very lovely town.

Note that there is a lovely community t hat adjoins Davidson; it is technically in Cornelius; lots of construction heating back up ... it is called Antiquity.

And River Run is a very nice country club community, but you may have a challenge staying within your price range.

By the way, schools in Davidson are outstanding! Good luck!

Old 07-14-2013, 07:22 PM

1,343 posts, read 3,336,348 times
In Huntersville we looked in Northstone and Birkdale, ended up buying in Birkdale and have been very happy here. In Cornelius we looked at the least expensive homes in the Peninsula - a great neighborhood but pricey.

On our first trip to the area we drove around fairly aimlessly to try to get a feel for the area. It is a natural urge to do this. Fortunately, I pulled a realtor's name at random off of a for sale sign and sent her an email. She was very helpful, saved us a lot of time and on subsequent trips she drove us around and showed us houses. It is great to drive around on your own but no substitute for driving around, getting a feel for neighborhoods, AND looking inside a few homes. You could still accomplish this on your own by looking at open houses on a Sunday.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgatorfangirl View Post
Greetings! We have lived in Davidson for 14 years, during which I have commuted to uptown Charlotte for most of that time. Davidson is heaven. It purposely does not have lots of subdivisions ... at least not with identifying signs. The Town is very intense about its planning and people love the community. Here are some places to look:

The New Neighborhood *^
McConnell *
Bailey Springs^
Summer Walk^
Lake Davidson

_____
* everyone knows these neighborhoods, but they don't have identifying signs
^ Davidson has a planning principle based on 'density', and these neighborhoods reflect that ... smaller lots, front porches, detached garages out back

Really recommend looking at non-subdivision houses in Davidson also. Very lovely town.

Note that there is a lovely community t hat adjoins Davidson; it is technically in Cornelius; lots of construction heating back up ... it is called Antiquity.

And River Run is a very nice country club community, but you may have a challenge staying within your price range.

By the way, schools in Davidson are outstanding! Good luck!
Thanks so much for the info.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XcapefromNJ View Post
In Huntersville we looked in Northstone and Birkdale, ended up buying in Birkdale and have been very happy here. In Cornelius we looked at the least expensive homes in the Peninsula - a great neighborhood but pricey.

On our first trip to the area we drove around fairly aimlessly to try to get a feel for the area. It is a natural urge to do this. Fortunately, I pulled a realtor's name at random off of a for sale sign and sent her an email. She was very helpful, saved us a lot of time and on subsequent trips she drove us around and showed us houses. It is great to drive around on your own but no substitute for driving around, getting a feel for neighborhoods, AND looking inside a few homes. You could still accomplish this on your own by looking at open houses on a Sunday.
Thanks so much. We drove around on our own this weekend and fell in love with Cornelius. However lot of folks we spoke to told us that Mooresville is very nice with excellent schools and lot more house and land for your money.
Agree that better with a realtor. thanks

Old 07-20-2013, 06:41 AM

2,203 posts, read 5,084,360 times
I love Davidson!
It's a little college town, but don't let that deter you, it's more of a village type setting, and a very quiet little town.
Everyone I know who lives in Davidson loves it.

I'm not a fan of Mooresville, the traffic is horrendous, and I try to avoid that area at all costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte