Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 03:23 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,763,152 times

Advertisements

Hundreds are gathering Uptown at the federal courthouse for a Travon rally. Honestly that crowd looks pretty big compared to what I would have imagined. This also means larger cities should see larger crowds unless we're an anomaly.

https://twitter.com/AudrinaBigos/sta...897283/photo/1

I do not want this thread to be about the court case or GZ or anything like that. I'd like to know what you think of this level of outpouring and especially if you went downtown for the event.

I do want to revisit the chant "NO JUSTICE NO PEACE" which came up a couple of years ago over something I don't remember. This phrase bugs me because the opposite of peace is not usually a good thing and (ironically because they are at the courthouse) relief cannot be granted to them in this jurisdiction.

In other words, we can't give them peace in this matter yet they seem to be directing their chant at whomever will listen. That would be us.

That startles me and I think it dumbs down the power of the phrase. What I think it should mean is that lawful protest will lead to unrest by the police powers and not by the protesters taking an active role in whatever the opposite of peace is. When you are protesting something that happened in another state this phrase makes no sense to me.

Something else I thought of would be good is to put a twist on the phrase. How about KNOW JUSTICE KNOW PEACE and let's strive to meet that. Of course they very well may already be using this version of KNOW but somehow I doubt it.

So what about the protest (size especially) and how do you feel about the phrase being overused (IMO)?

Old 07-20-2013, 03:50 PM

279 posts, read 447,864 times
If they were serious about Justice & Peace they'd be protesting the large number of Blacks shot dead by other Blacks. (Black on Black murder rate is 93%) It's only when the odd shooting from a White, Asian or in this case a Hispanic occurs they get riled up. What does this tell you?

Bunch of noise about nothing, IMO (since you were asking)

Old 07-20-2013, 04:19 PM

628 posts, read 2,078,482 times
Delete.. don't even want to get started.

Last edited by BRKLYN2CLT; 07-20-2013 at 04:32 PM..

Old 07-20-2013, 04:23 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
I do not want this thread to be about the court case or GZ or anything like that.
You should know better. You know people will instinctively make it about that, and it at least has to be brought up if you're going to discuss the protests themselves.

As to your point about the phrase, that's a common refrain for justice-related issues; it's not new at all and at the most might have instances of civil disobedience related to it (think the "Occupy Wall Street" movement) but that's usually not the case for these sorts of instances. It doesn't have any violent connotations.

Old 07-20-2013, 04:35 PM

628 posts, read 2,078,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You should know better. You know people will instinctively make it about that, and it at least has to be brought up if you're going to discuss the protests themselves.

As to your point about the phrase, that's a common refrain for justice-related issues; it's not new at all and at the most might have instances of civil disobedience related to it (think the "Occupy Wall Street" movement) but that's usually not the case for these sorts of instances. It doesn't have any violent connotations.
You're right sucked me in..hook, line, and sinker. I want to retract my earlier post. I don't even want to get into it about this case.

Old 07-20-2013, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barфsa View Post
If they were serious about Justice & Peace they'd be protesting the large number of Blacks shot dead by other Blacks. (Black on Black murder rate is 93%)
In the case of most murders, both the perpetrator and victim will be of the same race across the board. You know what the "White on White" murder rate is? 86%. It's really a matter of proximity as most people live in neighborhoods largely comprised of a significant number of people of their own race.

Quote:
It's only when the odd shooting from a White, Asian or in this case a Hispanic occurs they get riled up. What does this tell you?
Not at all. You didn't/don't see national rallies of this magnitude for other cases where a Black person was murdered by a non-Black person, even in the most heinous of crimes such as this one. The protests really aren't so much about the actual tragedy as it is about the ineptness and negligence of local law enforcement and related entities (e.g., medical examiner's office) in the immediate aftermath. When the powers-that-be do what they are supposed to do in the wake of such tragic events, such as the murders of Jordan Davis in Florida or Darius Simmons in Wisconsin, there's no need for the public outrage over the system.

Old 07-20-2013, 04:46 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,727,148 times
"No Justice, No Peace" is a lot more than a couple of years old. "Know Justice, Know Peace" is nothing new, either. The problem is, the people chanting it, don't truly understand the meaning of what they're saying and all it will take is a couple of clowns spouting off or hitting someone and there will be an all-out riot.

They're having "rallys" here in NY, too. It's not going to solve or change a thing. Justice was done. The law was followed.

I agree with whoever was who asked "why not a rally about black on black shootings??? The rate of black on black crime is astronomical. Why not have rallies about that??? Why not "rally" to take back their neighborhoods/??? Why wasn't there a rally when that guy robbed Rosa Parks a few years ago??? He robbed an icon of the Civil Rights Movement ----- there were NO rallies against him!

I'm just annoyed that Obama got involved. He's a race baiter, not a leader. This fool should be bringing the country TOGETHER, not causing a larger divide by saying "that could have been me 30 years ago" No, I don't think so, Barry Obama ---- your WHITE mama and her WHITE parents made sure you went to private schools, etc. No, Barry, you wouldn't have been walking around with a hoodie and calling someone a 'cracker'.

Old 07-20-2013, 04:48 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,727,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The protests really aren't so much about the actual tragedy as it is about the ineptness and negligence of local law enforcement and related entities (e.g., medical examiner's office) in the immediate aftermath. When the powers-that-be do what they are supposed to do in the wake of such tragic events, such as the murders of Jordan Davis in Florida or Darius Simmons in Wisconsin, there's no need for the public outrage over the system.

Hmmm.... where were the rallies when OJ Simpson got away with murdering two people??? Oh, wait, I forgot, there were CELEBRATIONS.

Old 07-20-2013, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
They're having "rallys" here in NY, too. It's not going to solve or change a thing. Justice was done. The law was followed.
Although probably unlikely, a civil rights suit could be launched. More realistically, a civil suit could be filed. The rallies are also putting a spotlight on "Stand Your Ground" laws which are on the books in several states, which may warrant another look.

Quote:
I agree with whoever was who asked "why not a rally about black on black shootings??? The rate of black on black crime is astronomical. Why not have rallies about that??? Why not "rally" to take back their neighborhoods/??? Why wasn't there a rally when that guy robbed Rosa Parks a few years ago??? He robbed an icon of the Civil Rights Movement ----- there were NO rallies against him!
See my previous post about this. It's a bit puzzling to me that a lot of people don't see the difference.

Old 07-20-2013, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
Hmmm.... where were the rallies when OJ Simpson got away with murdering two people??? Oh, wait, I forgot, there were CELEBRATIONS.
I don't even see how the OJ case is relevant here. For a more apples-to-apples comparison, since you live in NY, consider the verdict after the NYPD officers were acquitted in the killing of Sean Bell. There was much disappointment and some local rallies, but nothing on a national scale like we're seeing now because, again, the powers-that-be did what they were supposed to do in the immediate aftermath of the tragedy.

Many people on both sides of this debate are so impassioned to the point where all logic is thrown out the window and that's really sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte