Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 11:10 PM

11 posts, read 16,714 times

Advertisements

We also are planning on moving to North Carolina in October this year from Juneau, Alaska...its definitely going to be a big move and unfortunately we have to do all our research on google and through various blogs. We would love a tour, but its not really feasible before the move. We are searching for a two bedroom place that offers lots of ammenities; more specifically a pool, access to a washer and dryer, great schools and not too far from charlotte so we can enjoy taking our son places and enjoy adult time as well. But as a young family (low-mid income) would searching for apartments between $600-1000* be a safe price range?

I am 25 and have no college, but have worked in several restaurant and retail positions in Kentucky and have worked 4 years with the State of Alaska,* Department of Administration,* Division of Retirement & Benefits in their accounting/payroll section as well as their call center. My fiance has a couple years of college in Buisness Management.* Is there a good outlook for us living here and finding jobs to pay to live here? Any advice or knowledge of this area would be deeply appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 11:42 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjholloway View Post
We also are planning on moving to North Carolina in October this year from Juneau, Alaska...its definitely going to be a big move and unfortunately we have to do all our research on google and through various blogs. We would love a tour, but its not really feasible before the move. We are searching for a two bedroom place that offers lots of ammenities; more specifically a pool, access to a washer and dryer, great schools and not too far from charlotte so we can enjoy taking our son places and enjoy adult time as well. But as a young family (low-mid income) would searching for apartments between $600-1000* be a safe price range?

I am 25 and have no college, but have worked in several restaurant and retail positions in Kentucky and have worked 4 years with the State of Alaska,* Department of Administration,* Division of Retirement & Benefits in their accounting/payroll section as well as their call center. My fiance has a couple years of college in Buisness Management.* Is there a good outlook for us living here and finding jobs to pay to live here? Any advice or knowledge of this area would be deeply appreciated.
What's bringing you to Charlotte as opposed to other places? Unemployment is high.

Old 07-15-2013, 05:11 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,822,090 times
Retail jobs here start at $8.00 an hour if lucky. And accounting/payroll jobs are scarce like the one you mentioned as they are in high demand from jobseekers. Not sure what jobs a couple of years of business management school gets your fiancee. What jobs has he worked?

Old 07-15-2013, 01:56 PM

W are trying to move to the west side of NC because my ex-husband lives in Chucky, TN (on the eastern boarder by the mountains) and currently, as Im in Alaska, we have alternate year custody. Im trying to move a lot closer so this arrangement can be changed. I really don't want to live in the same state as him and im interested in going somewhere other than kentucky this time around so I thought NC since its so close and sounds great from what ive heard online...I was also considering Columbia, SC for a little while? Would this be a better/safer option as far as obtaining a job and comfortable life? Im open to any suggestions really as long as it it with in a reasonable distance of eastern Tennessee. Thanks again for posting! Any info helps!

Old 07-15-2013, 02:11 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
W are trying to move to the west side of NC because my ex-husband lives in Chucky, TN (on the eastern boarder by the mountains) and currently, as Im in Alaska, we have alternate year custody. Im trying to move a lot closer so this arrangement can be changed. I really don't want to live in the same state as him and im interested in going somewhere other than kentucky this time around so I thought NC since its so close and sounds great from what ive heard online...I was also considering Columbia, SC for a little while? Would this be a better/safer option as far as obtaining a job and comfortable life? Im open to any suggestions really as long as it it with in a reasonable distance of eastern Tennessee. Thanks again for posting! Any info helps!
For overall job availability I'd suggest looking at the area around Greenville, SC & Spartanburg. Columbia could work because it's the state capital. You should ask on those boards.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:35 PM

Thank you for the suggestion. I will do that now. But id still like some information about the Charlotte area and the Mecklenburg area please ")

Old 07-15-2013, 05:13 PM

2,348 posts, read 4,818,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
What's bringing you to Charlotte as opposed to other places? Unemployment is high.
8.9% as of May 2013, which is high by comparison. Eeek! Boston is 6%.

This is by far the biggest challenge my research has presented me with when it comes to Charlotte. The lack of employers is making it tricky for me to target companies.

To the OP, I would consider this advice Southbound is giving.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:07 PM

821 posts, read 1,855,159 times
I recommend you not consider Charlotte based on what you wrote in your posts. Unemployment is higher here than the state average, if I remember the last reports on unemployment. I have a 32 year old daughter with two degrees and has a job. She has been looking for something better for well over a year. She has no benefits and her rent on a one bedroom in a reasonably safe area is $1200 per month. There is a pool and exercise facility. There is a washer and dryer in the apartment. Before her lease expired, she looked for something cheaper in an area where she felt safe. These days, it is an apartment complex owner holding all the cards and raising the prices. I can understand your problem, but Charlotte is not the place to meet your requirements.

Old 07-17-2013, 05:30 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,279,397 times
Quote:
Thank you for the suggestion. I will do that now. But id still like some information about the Charlotte area and the Mecklenburg area please ")
The unemployment rate is a factor but larger metros tend to have more opportunities. Smaller metros with slightly lower unemployment rates are just as if not more competitive. Based on your provided background and work experiences listed I'd focus on Charlotte or Atlanta.

Take into account everyone situation is totally different so the unemployment rate isn't really the ultimate litmus test....companies are still hiring so take all the gloom and doom employment comments with a grain of salt.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:33 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I agree. If you are 25 without a college degree or marketable experience, Charlotte probably isn't the OP's best option. Unemployment is very high and job competition is stiff. I wish that weren't the case because Charlotte is a great city, but that is the way of things right now. The Great Recession has ended in some parts of the country but Charlotte hasn't received the memo yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte