Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 05:12 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,436,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Charlotte View Post
Oh, I agree. I'm just saying that there are places like Good Ol Days around. I've been to quite a few "grills" that are just like diners, and of course, owned by Greeks.

Maybe we'll finally get together for coffee when the new place opens?
ya think??? ROFL

yes im still waiting my friend..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 05:14 AM

thanks Keith, I think I will pass on that, however there are quiet a few of us that do get together already, but it all women, You are more than welcome to join us..

Old 11-15-2007, 05:27 AM

138 posts, read 413,914 times
Smile Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryjuice4life View Post
well there is a place on Providence rd past Cureton, it was very good when a friend and I took our kids there for lunch..they also serve breakfast...otherwise you will have to wait for this new Diner to open...Ms Charlotte there is nothing like a cheeseburger Deluxe from a real diner, lol. and being from NY yum.We are going on thursday a bunch of us to Good Ole Days in the Arboretum, for breakfast she is from NY the owner.
The Big Dog Cafe - great place - nice people. Hamburgers are very good for lunch - Try the Southern style pecan pancakes for breakfast! Also, omelettes are HUGE.

Old 11-15-2007, 06:08 AM

yumm Where is that??? Big dog Cafe??

Old 11-15-2007, 06:17 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,341,468 times
Praise for Good Ol Days?
We live about 1 mi from the Arboretum.
Tried Good Ol Days 5-6 times through the years and the results are always the same:

Service, good.
Food, bad to mediocre.
Restaurant, filthy.

For full disclosure a few meals were even free using comp coupons from a friend in the advertising business.
Not liking something free is quite telling.

And why can't it be a 'NC Diner opening soon in Ballantyne' since it will be in NC, or just split the difference, 'Diner opening soon in Ballantyne'.
Why the hoopla that it is a NY/NJ Diner?

There has been a place around for decades that offers a varied menu with bar stools and is open 24 hrs/day: Waffle House

Last edited by mullman; 11-15-2007 at 07:15 AM..

Old 11-15-2007, 09:05 AM

620 posts, read 2,123,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
Praise for Good Ol Days?
We live about 1 mi from the Arboretum.
Tried Good Ol Days 5-6 times through the years and the results are always the same:

Service, good.
Food, bad to mediocre.
Restaurant, filthy.

For full disclosure a few meals were even free using comp coupons from a friend in the advertising business.
Not liking something free is quite telling.

And why can't it be a 'NC Diner opening soon in Ballantyne' since it will be in NC, or just split the difference, 'Diner opening soon in Ballantyne'.
Why the hoopla that it is a NY/NJ Diner?

There has been a place around for decades that offers a varied menu with bar stools and is open 24 hrs/day: Waffle House
Just wondering why you get so defensive? Waffle House's menu is nothing like a diner menu. Just because they serve breakfast all day doesn't make it a diner. We are talking pickles and coleslaw when you sit down, a menu that is like a novel, jukebox at every table, open 24/7 so when you have the drunk munchies there is always a place to go, french fries with mozzarella and gravy!, tuna melt deluxe on an english muffin mmmm, lol. Don't get me wrong, I go and enjoy local places here too, such as the Penguin, Thomas St Tavern, Waffle House, etc and yes, I love fried pickles with ranch dressing - they are so good. At the same time, I wouldn't mind to see a diner like the ones in NY open up here. To most of you it doesn't sound like anything special, but you have to go to one to understand. Trust me, I took one of my friends from Charlotte up to NY with me and she thought the diner was awesome - we went like 3 times.

Last edited by nyxmike; 11-15-2007 at 09:35 AM..

Old 11-15-2007, 09:09 AM

54 posts, read 157,019 times
Default Huge menus

Personally I always find it amazing that a diner can prepare all those different meals during different hours of the day...they must get deliveries all week long. I especially like the triple layer chocolate cake that sits in that showcase near the front entrance. 24 hour diners are great!

Old 11-15-2007, 09:10 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,662,671 times
Landmark Restaurant off Central Avenue sounds like what you are describing.
There use to be another restaurant off Independece and thankfully it closed it was called Athens.
Also try Acropolis in Cornelius they also have a huge menu.

Old 11-15-2007, 11:06 AM

716 posts, read 2,164,094 times
I'm from Jersey originally, which if you don't know is the diner capitol of the world! I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to this, especially because it will be just down the street!!! Good thing I bought a treadmill because I don't know how else I'll be able to manage all those gravy fries...

I love Charlotte dearly, I do. I don't want it to become "NYC Jr." or "Little Jersey." But there's always been two things I've said I miss terribly and they will draw me back to NJ. One of them was a "real" diner. Don't get me wrong, I've tried all the places everyone else has mentioned, and many come really really close... It's difficult to articulate the differences, but they are there. And there's probably a little part of it that's just nostalgic-comfort-factor. So again, I'm looking forward to this new place to see how it works out.

Now, if we could just get a 24-hour convenience store that sells Slurpees!!!

Old 11-15-2007, 11:14 AM

674 posts, read 808,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet* View Post
I'm from Jersey originally, which if you don't know is the diner capitol of the world!
They should put that on the license plates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte