U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2007, 06:49 AM

1 posts, read 3,947 times

Advertisements

We're looking at the Elizabeth/Chantilly area. How often does the train run through there, and how much of a disturbance is it? If you live a few blocks away from the tracks (5th st or Chesterfield ave), does it shake the house or is it a minor inconvenience?

Thanks
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2007, 08:42 AM

53 posts, read 186,467 times
i live in elizabeth, but not very close to the train, and i very rarely here it. however, i did look at a house that was basically on top of the train tracks (it was on olde chantilly court), and when i was there it came by. i don't recall it shaking the house or anything, but it did blow its horn right as it passed the house - and that was loud.

but if you're looking at 5th St. or the parts of chesterfield furthest away from pecan, i think you'd be fine. not to mention that personally, i think 5th St. is one of the best streets in the city, so i'd live there even if the train was closer to it.

the last thing i'll add, is that i once lived right next to a train track for a year. and while it's annoying at first, you get used to it. after maybe a month, i never noticed it. so while i'm sure it would be a factor when trying to sell your house, i honestly don't think it makes a difference when you live there.

Old 11-12-2007, 01:28 PM

523 posts, read 2,708,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotoms View Post
We're looking at the Elizabeth/Chantilly area. How often does the train run through there, and how much of a disturbance is it? If you live a few blocks away from the tracks (5th st or Chesterfield ave), does it shake the house or is it a minor inconvenience?

Thanks
When I was looking for houses a few months back, I also looked in the Elizabeth/Chantilly area. The reason why I didn't buy one place that I really liked was because it was by the train tracks. The horn is very loud. I don't think it shakes the house but it is loud and the train comes through at least a couple of times a day and also in the middle of the night once (2AM, I think?). I stayed with my friend who was 2-3 blocks from the train tracks one night and I woke up in the middle of the night from the horn.

Old 11-12-2007, 02:56 PM

45,246 posts, read 92,395,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anu2 View Post
When I was looking for houses a few months back, I also looked in the Elizabeth/Chantilly area. The reason why I didn't buy one place that I really liked was because it was by the train tracks. The horn is very loud. I don't think it shakes the house but it is loud and the train comes through at least a couple of times a day and also in the middle of the night once (2AM, I think?). I stayed with my friend who was 2-3 blocks from the train tracks one night and I woke up in the middle of the night from the horn.
When you haven't ever lived near enough to a track to hear the train and then move near one it can be very unnerving for the first few weeks. But after you are there a while you really don't notice so much anymore, and when you do it doesn't bother you. We lived for a year just 3 houses off that same track and when we moved my sons complained because they missed the trains coming thru while they were lying in bed at night So really, don't let the fear of the train noise stop you from considering a house or neighborhood you otherwise find very appealing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte