Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2019, 09:45 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
The wsoctv.com website has an updated picture of the new antenna being installed on top of the tower last Thursday. Probably begin testing in the next few days. Meanwhile I am watching the 11pm news on the translator as I type right now. So hopefully the main signal will be improved if I lose the new translator after Sept. 6.
I strongly suspect that WSOC knows that they are providing the ABC service to eastern Rutherford County, Cherokee County, and at least part of Spartanburg County, just as WYFF knows that they have been providing NBC to Cleveland County and a bit of western Gaston County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2019, 08:29 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,355,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
You may have better luck with the main signal. I'm looking forward to September 6th. I'm hoping that I get as good a signal from 33 as I got from 62.
Although UNC-TV is changing channels on Sept. 6, I have heard they may be at reduced power for a few weeks at their new tower site until their technical work is completed. Both 33 and 17 apparently will not be full power at first. You may have to be patient a few more weeks, but still rescan on Sept. 6 nevertheless.

Also unconfirmed sources may indicate WCNC has not yet top mounted their new antenna on the tower, so they will be down to the wire to meet the Sept. 6 deadline. So far we know WSOC, WJZY, and WYFF are on time and on target. WCCB will use a temporary antenna at reduced power on Sept. 6, and their permanent repack antenna will be installed around October. But they will indeed be moving to their new channel on repack day, as they will be using their old analog 18 antenna on top of their tower. The new WCCB side mount antenna will then be installed, also using the repack 18 channel for digital, which was their original analog channel.

So despite most major changes on Sept. 6, additional rescans may be needed in the coming weeks as some stations make final adjustments.

Old 08-20-2019, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Although UNC-TV is changing channels on Sept. 6, I have heard they may be at reduced power for a few weeks at their new tower site until their technical work is completed. Both 33 and 17 apparently will not be full power at first. You may have to be patient a few more weeks, but still rescan on Sept. 6 nevertheless.

Also unconfirmed sources may indicate WCNC has not yet top mounted their new antenna on the tower, so they will be down to the wire to meet the Sept. 6 deadline. So far we know WSOC, WJZY, and WYFF are on time and on target. WCCB will use a temporary antenna at reduced power on Sept. 6, and their permanent repack antenna will be installed around October. But they will indeed be moving to their new channel on repack day, as they will be using their old analog 18 antenna on top of their tower. The new WCCB side mount antenna will then be installed, also using the repack 18 channel for digital, which was their original analog channel.

So despite most major changes on Sept. 6, additional rescans may be needed in the coming weeks as some stations make final adjustments.
I'm sure that it won't all be one and done.

Old 08-21-2019, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I'm sure that it won't all be one and done.
Just remember UNC-TV may be at reduced power several weeks after Sept. 6. But when they are finally improved the new Channel 33 signal from Asheville should be easier for you to receive. Not sure about 17 or 58 from Concord. But just be patient a little while longer.

Old 08-21-2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Just remember UNC-TV may be at reduced power several weeks after Sept. 6. But when they are finally improved the new Channel 33 signal from Asheville should be easier for you to receive. Not sure about 17 or 58 from Concord. But just be patient a little while longer.
I've been used to getting UNCTV from either 33 or 58, but, lately I've had to actually be in the room with the TV, ready to flip back and forth between the two, and even then I sometimes lose both.

Old 08-21-2019, 05:05 PM

113 posts, read 127,597 times
Looks like many stations have been waiting until the last second to do whats been mandated for years for them to do. Now it's sh** or get off the pot time and it looks like more than few providers are going to be sh**ing and we the viewers will be paying the price for their incompetence.

Old 08-22-2019, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnow101 View Post
Looks like many stations have been waiting until the last second to do whats been mandated for years for them to do. Now it's sh** or get off the pot time and it looks like more than few providers are going to be sh**ing and we the viewers will be paying the price for their incompetence.
Some stations have been dumping on viewers for a long time. Since I live 10 miles from the crossover to the Greenville/Spartanburg/Asheville market, I used to get all of the stations for both markets, before the changeover to digital.

Several years ago WCNC put a null in their signal and quit providing an over the air signal west of Crowders Mountain, even though we are in the Charlotte market, which NBC contracts with them to serve. WYFF in Greenville, SC provides a signal to their entire assigned area, so we get NBC, but we are not served by their weather forecasting. WLOS in Asheville has pretty much failed to provide a signal to most of their assigned area. WSOC picks up the slack for a large portion of the area assigned to them, partially because of the Crowders Mountain transponder. The FCC has now assigned a vhf signal to that transponder which may effect the reception to a lot of the areas that are actually assigned to WLOS.

If, after a reasonable period of time after September 6th, people are not being served by their assigned stations, it will be time to write formal letters of complaint to the stations, the FCC, and the networks.

Old 08-22-2019, 06:25 PM

The old analog signal for WCNC channel 36 was omnidirectional and did not have a null. When they switched to digital they added a directional antenna with a null to the west because they did not want to overlap in the WYFF coverage area of the GSP market. However, the null was too strong and caused lapses of coverage in some areas assigned to the Charlotte coverage area. However, despite the null, I could pick up WCNC when I lived in Greenville, SC with my attic antenna. However, their signal was much weaker than WBTV, which is omnidirectional from the same location near Dallas.

Unfortunately with the repack, WCNC will continue to have a directional antenna to the east. But hopefully the increase in power, height, and new elliptical pattern will eliminate most of the null and improve their coverage in the designated area. But that remains to be seen on Sept. 6. Although despite the null, I still receive WCNC in Spartanburg right now, although not as strong as WBTV, which is a powerhouse. Supposedly after the repack WJZY will also have a very strong signal like WBTV, and WSOC is supposed to have their strongest signal ever. So I hope I will be able to receive their Charlotte signal, as I am concerned I may lose the transponder. And hopefully WCNC will improve also. We shall see.

But I still recommend an outstanding indoor/outdoor antenna, the Antop 400BV or Antop 800SBS. Outstanding performers, reliable reception, designed especially for modern digital signals. They have adjustable gain amplifiers which is very important and may help you achieve better reception. Some of the older style antennas have poor amplifiers and do not perform well for digital.

Old 08-22-2019, 06:42 PM

869 posts, read 1,787,083 times
I'm in Indian Trail (Monroe border). Rocky River Rd & Unionville-Indian Trail Rd. I have an indoor Elecwave antenna on the 2nd floor. I am getting all of the Charlotte stations(issues with ch 64 since they've reduced power) and pick up the Greensboro stations as well, but not consistently. Ch 45 comes in pretty consistently, the others, mostly after dark or on cloudy days. Not sure if any of the stations there have any changes scheduled on 9/6.

The last time I rescanned I picked up a signal from ch 38, looks like it's a Raleigh Durham station, but I've never received any programming. Thinking of mounting a stronger outdoor antenna that the HOA will allow and that I can then distribute thru out the house instead of just the 1 TV upstairs. Antenna has to be 1 meter or less, so satellite dish size.

Old 08-22-2019, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkman View Post
I'm in Indian Trail (Monroe border). Rocky River Rd & Unionville-Indian Trail Rd. I have an indoor Elecwave antenna on the 2nd floor. I am getting all of the Charlotte stations(issues with ch 64 since they've reduced power) and pick up the Greensboro stations as well, but not consistently. Ch 45 comes in pretty consistently, the others, mostly after dark or on cloudy days. Not sure if any of the stations there have any changes scheduled on 9/6.

The last time I rescanned I picked up a signal from ch 38, looks like it's a Raleigh Durham station, but I've never received any programming. Thinking of mounting a stronger outdoor antenna that the HOA will allow and that I can then distribute thru out the house instead of just the 1 TV upstairs. Antenna has to be 1 meter or less, so satellite dish size.
To keep HOA happy check out the Antop 400BV or Antop 800SBS. Compact flat panel, nice design and good reliable reception.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte