Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 08:34 AM

184 posts, read 244,469 times

Advertisements

Wow, this discussion is eye opening. I had no idea getting an antenna, proper placement, etc, would be so complicated or tricky. Can I HIRE someone to get a more reliable/workable antenna situation? Just got an indoor antenna, given and set up for me and I don't know the name, It says 1080p and 4K ready. I am in Kannapolis and get 13 channels with it , but some have pixel failure and not sure How to get best set up. I will do research, but , can anyone recommend an installer or expert on the issue for me?? THANKS these discussions are helpful, but it;s still hard for me to deal with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2018, 12:08 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debnova View Post
Wow, this discussion is eye opening. I had no idea getting an antenna, proper placement, etc, would be so complicated or tricky. Can I HIRE someone to get a more reliable/workable antenna situation? Just got an indoor antenna, given and set up for me and I don't know the name, It says 1080p and 4K ready. I am in Kannapolis and get 13 channels with it , but some have pixel failure and not sure How to get best set up. I will do research, but , can anyone recommend an installer or expert on the issue for me?? THANKS these discussions are helpful, but it;s still hard for me to deal with.
Weather can play a factor.

I normally get about 30 stations, frequently more. If you can elevate the antenna, it would help. I use an antenna with an amplifier. Which stations do you get now?

Old 06-25-2018, 11:12 PM

5,159 posts, read 7,346,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debnova View Post
In Kannapolis WSOC and WCCB should be very strong and easy to receive. But you should also get WBTV, WCNC, and WJZY. And you should also possibly receive Greensboro.

Walmart has a good selection of indoor antennas. The RCA amplified flat panel performs well, and so does the GE Bar 200. There are also some outdoor versions. And the Clearstream 2V from Antennas Direct is an excellent antenna, and comes with a stand that can be used indoors or outdoors. But I would add an amplifier to stabilize distant signals.

And the Antop antennas sold on Amazon are very good. The best model is the Antop 400B which comes with an indoor stand and amplifier. Currently sold for $98. The 400BV adds a VHF dipole but is not really needed unless you really want WTVI. Also Winegard Flatwave AIR is very good and sells for $69 with amplifier.

Old 07-26-2019, 04:33 PM

6 posts, read 12,595 times
I live in Taylorsville, NC. I don't have cable or satellite and I only watch General Hospital. I only have an antenna to receive my channels. I found out about the outage on channel 9 and I was wondering how long would this new system will take place? Also, will it affect my viewing with antenna or do I need to update my equipment?

Old 07-26-2019, 08:19 PM

5,159 posts, read 7,346,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanillaheartwings View Post
I live in Taylorsville, NC. I don't have cable or satellite and I only watch General Hospital. I only have an antenna to receive my channels. I found out about the outage on channel 9 and I was wondering how long would this new system will take place? Also, will it affect my viewing with antenna or do I need to update my equipment?
WSOC Channel 9 is operating a reduced power signal while their main antenna is being replaced as required by the FCC repack. The target date for returning to full power with an improved signal may be around Sept. 6th. You may suffer a loss of reception from Channel 9 until sometime in September. You should not require any new equipment other than a good antenna and possible amplifier. However you will be required to rescan your TV tuner to receive the new signal from Channel 9 in September. And they also have certain translator signals you may be also to receive, including Crowder's Mountain. But you still may need to rescan. Walmart has a decent selection of indoor antennas, and the Clearstream 2V is one of the best. On Amazon a very good antenna is the Antop 400BV. Initially expensive but a good investment that will pay for itself.

Old 07-26-2019, 10:52 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanillaheartwings View Post
WSOC has been putting up trouble slides occasionally alerting viewers that they are operating at partial power until September 6th, when you will have to rescan your TV.

Old 07-27-2019, 04:55 PM

265 posts, read 686,536 times
This makes no sense to me, why can't WSOC take care of it's customers with another feed or whatever for us to watch their channel. I have bought several different indoor antennas to no avail. The channel has worked 2 days for me and the rest of the last two weeks I haven't received the signal day or night. I live in Mooresville which is only 35 miles from the city on the North side. I bet the dish networks or cable networks get a signal for people able to pay the absorbent prices and they forget the people that can't afford those prices and forced to use the 'free' signal that the FCC says they have to produce, so the 'free' signal they care less about with a lame excuse that you'll have a non existent or intermittent signal for a month? We are customers too!!. I have two antennas that pick up 45 to 200 miles and I can't get a low signal 35 miles away? Something is seriously wrong here. I might have to go to the FCC to complain about this!!. Am I wrong? Thanks for any info in advance.

Old 07-27-2019, 06:13 PM

19 posts, read 17,995 times
Yeah,
But why deal with local jerk offs?

use Kodi, internet or dish and get the network feed.
It's much better and you don't have to watch the local car commercials.
:-)

Old 07-27-2019, 07:55 PM

1,154 posts, read 1,424,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmajoe View Post
Decided to try Tivo/Hulu/Netflix instead of Directv after 20 years. I live in South Charlotte, Weddington area. I started with indoor antenna to test and got 18 channels. Then just installed Channel Master CM4228HD in attic after much research. Now I get 28 channels. My problem is dropouts for only channel 9.1 ABC WSOC. I don't understand why I only have a problem with this one station. I could not get it at all with the indoor antenna. I have the attic antenna pointed right at it. Any ideas? thank you.
Here's hoping your post gets a 'fix' for this question of WHY we cannot get Channel 9 WSOC on antenna or any other TV but cable. I live 30 min out of Charlotte and have Sling TV and Roku set on all our TVs (3). I have MOHU antennas on 2 of them and only get Channel 9 on a clear day when the birds are chirping and the pollen counts are low (just kidding). I can move the antenna pad daily and some days I get WSOC and then the next it says, NO SIGNAL again. It's annoying but thankfully I only watch it for a very few shows.
Still, not paying $200./month for cable and their rude and uncaring people who always are trying to UP the bill is worth not watching Kelly & Ryan except by another way on a delay. I'm very happy with Sling/Roku set up.

Old 07-27-2019, 08:42 PM

869 posts, read 1,786,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooksmom View Post
Here's hoping your post gets a 'fix' for this question of WHY we cannot get Channel 9 WSOC on antenna or any other TV but cable. I live 30 min out of Charlotte and have Sling TV and Roku set on all our TVs (3). I have MOHU antennas on 2 of them and only get Channel 9 on a clear day when the birds are chirping and the pollen counts are low (just kidding). I can move the antenna pad daily and some days I get WSOC and then the next it says, NO SIGNAL again. It's annoying but thankfully I only watch it for a very few shows.
Still, not paying $200./month for cable and their rude and uncaring people who always are trying to UP the bill is worth not watching Kelly & Ryan except by another way on a delay. I'm very happy with Sling/Roku set up.
The fix is that CH 9 & ch 64 is on reduced power while they are upgrading their antenna. By September their new tower will be completed and when you rescan your TV you will get both without a problem. I live in Indian Trail, have an indoor Elecwave antenna and am having no problem getting ch 9, but am getting a lot of pixelization on ch 64 and its subchannels. That just started in the last week.

I use Playstation Vue and get all of the locals. I think Sling is one of the few streaming services that doesn't them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte