Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2013, 11:39 AM

11 posts, read 27,045 times

Advertisements

Hi,
we are planning a move from Virginia to north Charlotte.

Ideally, we would like to find a place on the Eastern side of Lake Norman, on the water, so that we can also bring our boat and jet ski.
Work location is close to I-77, exit 18, and we will need Elementary school for 2 children.

We recognize that to get a nice house on the water we will need to have a $700K - ~$1+M budget in mind.

To narrow down the specific neighborhoods, which areas of the lake would you recommend? We saw that some areas have better schools than others.
We are not opposed to a private school, but we would still like to have a choice between a good public school and private.
Also, the closer to the office (and downtown for social activities) the better. We assume that traffic from Cornelius or Davidson down to exit 18 shouldn't be too bad (do you agree?).

Thanks for your suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 09:34 AM

356 posts, read 370,648 times
Hi! Just moved to Mooresville 4 mos ago from NY. We love it here! One Child goes to Woodland Hts Elementary and the other Brawley Middle. The schools,so far, have been excellent! My kids are very happy. Just about everything I need is within 3 miles. We are renting on the lake now and it is heaven! I feel like I'm on vacation every day! We are so pleased with this area and neighborhood ( The Harbour) we are purchasing the house next door. If you have any interest in renting first, DM me and I can give you info on the house we are renting now. Best of luck to you and your family!

Old 10-17-2013, 03:22 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,017,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeliving View Post
Hi,

Ideally, we would like to find a place on the Eastern side of Lake Norman, on the water, so that we can also bring our boat and jet ski.
Work location is close to I-77, exit 18, and we will need Elementary school for 2 children.

We recognize that to get a nice house on the water we will need to have a $700K - ~$1+M budget in mind.

To narrow down the specific neighborhoods, which areas of the lake would you recommend? We saw that some areas have better schools than others.
We are not opposed to a private school, but we would still like to have a choice between a good public school and private.
Also, the closer to the office (and downtown for social activities) the better. We assume that traffic from Cornelius or Davidson down to exit 18 shouldn't be too bad (do you agree?).

Rush hour traffic in this area is the worst in town. There are back roads, but not many other options.

Old 10-20-2013, 11:56 AM

162 posts, read 213,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeliving View Post
Hi,

I-77, from exit 18 to 25 northbound, is a parking lot from 4pm to 7pm every weekday. Not as bad in the mornings going southbound, but still very frustrating.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:44 AM

300 posts, read 763,300 times
What about Huntersville is the next town from Cornelius exit 25 and 23. I do not have kids but a brand new elementary school Grand Oak opened this August. I know you mention a lake house. But I think its a good compromise.

Old 10-23-2013, 03:37 PM

356 posts, read 370,648 times
Default Lake Norman Traffic

People on this site are obsessed with traffic. I have been in Mooresville for four months now and honestly I don't know what everyone is talking about. Yes there is some traffic during rush hour (or during a NASCAR race) but it is not nearly as bad as people make it out to be. Any place worth living has some traffic.

Old 04-30-2015, 12:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,612 times
To update this thread, I've been in Mooresville for nearly two years and currently live in this community. We moved here from another state with our punch list being:

1) Great public schools
2) Lots of kids in the neighborhood
3) On the water

The Harbour met all of those requirements, and with a much lower HOA and property cost than the Pointe- and lower taxes than the Peninsula. You can be off water with a deeded boat slip for under $500K, on water starting at about $800K. Ignore any traffic comments before summer 2013, as that's when the Brawley School Rd exit opened on 77-so you can bypass River Highway. Brawley School Road was widened going into the community some time before that, and there are also 2 ways out of the Harbour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte