Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 06:47 PM

2 posts, read 15,140 times

Advertisements

Can anyone (students/parents) speak to the quality of the Computer Science program at UNCC? My son is a high school senior, and UNCC was a choice on our list...how is the program's reputation? Is it on the cutting edge? Are the professors helpful and engaging with students in this program? I would hate to think I could blow a ton of money for a useless degree for my son...would appreciate any info from anyone with good inside information! Our other option was ECU (my own alma mater), but looking at their curriculum requirements, it doesn't seem to be as intensive or have the specific courses offered at UNCC in the CS degree program. My son is specifically interested in Game Development.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2013, 07:28 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,610,657 times
game dev group in flux

Old 09-08-2013, 04:24 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,520,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bj27983 View Post
Can anyone (students/parents) speak to the quality of the Computer Science program at UNCC? My son is a high school senior, and UNCC was a choice on our list...how is the program's reputation? Is it on the cutting edge? Are the professors helpful and engaging with students in this program? I would hate to think I could blow a ton of money for a useless degree for my son...would appreciate any info from anyone with good inside information! Our other option was ECU (my own alma mater), but looking at their curriculum requirements, it doesn't seem to be as intensive or have the specific courses offered at UNCC in the CS degree program. My son is specifically interested in Game Development.
I can't say I have inside info but know several UNCC Comp Sci grades (having a Computer Engineer and Comp Sci degree myself I hang around these types quite a bit) and they know their stuff. A UNC degree is well respected. So I don't think your money would be wasted especially if you can get in-state tuition rates.

Old 09-08-2013, 08:30 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,420,258 times
A degree in Computer Science from almost any university will not be considered "useless." The technology field is always looking for people. The key is for your son to start thinking about innovation and not just operational work.

Old 09-08-2013, 01:05 PM

40 posts, read 122,394 times
My husband is a programmer (graduated from UNCC) and said that a degree from there (along with some experience -- internships would be a good start) should mean that he gets a job. Probably a better CS degree than ECU. He has heard that the game development group at UNCC was removed, but not sure if it came back? Game development is a very popular field, so it's VERY competitive in terms of the CS specialties. There's not a lot of jobs in it in the Charlotte area, either. Your son will want to look closely at what he needs to do to be successful in that area (ex heavier emphasis on graphics and math, possibly?) if he has his heart set on it.

Old 09-08-2013, 08:17 PM

2 posts, read 15,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
game dev group in flux

baybook--could you expand on your comment a little more?

Old 09-09-2013, 07:38 AM

533 posts, read 930,757 times
Full Sail University: Campus and Online Degrees

If you son is serious about game development.

It's going to be more $ than UNCC, but it's one of the best.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:39 AM

69 posts, read 122,229 times
I'm a Charlotte CS grad back when it was a part of the engineering college, now it's grown and has it's own college, College of Computing and Informatics. I credit my start in the IT field to my education at Charlotte, however just like computers the output depends upon the input. I participated in the co-op program which really helped jump start my career in the field. Charlotte CS is a very solid program with vast resources to enable success. I am not from Charlotte and I do not live in Charlotte now but it was a perfect fit for me at the time and now the university has grown and developed so much since then.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:28 AM

6 posts, read 24,286 times
I didn't have any complaints. I graduated with a CS degree in 07 from UNCC. But right when I was graduating was when they released their new 5 year Computer Science Master plan with only a year extra instead of 2 years of grad school.

5-Year BA/BS-MS Degree Program | Department of Computer Science | UNC Charlotte

Old 09-11-2013, 10:51 AM

398 posts, read 978,326 times
UNCC CS > ECU CS

I'm an UNCC Computer Science '04 grad and gainfully employed in Charlotte. Currently working on my MS at UNCC too, but in a different field. I very highly recommend UNCC and assure you that your son won't have any issues finding a job and learning Computer Science, given he works hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte