Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 09:12 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakzero View Post
If your feeling that charlotte is overpriced.. your right! Charlotte's sudden and unsustainable population boom is putting a strain on local housing availability but this will not last. The housing market here is higher for comparable housing vs the similiar sized Sacramento Metro area.. Homes in close proximity to center city are higher.. Hard to believe considering charlotte is located in the middle of nowhere.. closest big city being Atlanta, vs being an hour away from San Fransico and the Spectacular California coastline.. Charlotte is close the the mountains, by Sacramento is closer to Tahoe... no comparison there really. Charlotte metro area has almost no natural land value as its worthless for commercial agriculuture and isnt sitting on top of the largest shale oil field in north america. Also, despite being inland quite a ways, it still has a deep water channel, waterfront and water access to the pacific ocean. I have zero confidence in the charlotte housing market long term and it just doesnt have the track record of value creation that you get by living in California.. especially at these prices. To top that off, for a state that doesnt have all the big fancy public works projects like california does, I would like to know just where the hell my tax dollars are going in this state, because the rate certaintly isnt a whole lot cheaper. Property Taxes are also less in California in general. The property taxes on my monterey home can only ever go up at the rate of the CPI.

Here are some Google times to give some perspective of how out in the middle of nowhwere charlotte really is.

Distance from Sacramento to SF 1:34
Distance from Sacramento to Tahoe 2:00
Distance from Sacramento to Pebble Beach 3:04
Distance from Sacramento to Napa 1:04

Distance from Charlotte to Charleston 3:06
Distance from Charlotte to Atlanta 3:45
Distance from Charlotte to 2:06
It's a matter of taste. I would never want to step foot in California. Have no interest in Tahoe. I much rather go to Charleston or Asheville in the mountains or Tennessee or up and down the East coast. Also to Chicago etc. I have zero interest on the West coast and the states on that half of the US. It's not that it's bad/good, it's just something I am not interested in seeing. So for me Charlotte is in a great location for all that I want to do and see.

I just don't understand people that love to trash Charlotte and try to compare it to California when it's like comparing apples and oranges. You keep your sunny California oranges and we will keep our apples.

(And again want to reiterate that I don't think that half of the US is bad. I have traveled it extensively with family in CA and AZ and spent much of my childhood visiting it all up and down the Western coast etc)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 02:49 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,319,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakzero View Post
If your feeling that charlotte is overpriced.. your right! Charlotte's sudden and unsustainable population boom is putting a strain on local housing availability but this will not last. The housing market here is higher for comparable housing vs the similiar sized Sacramento Metro area.. Homes in close proximity to center city are higher.. Hard to believe considering charlotte is located in the middle of nowhere.. closest big city being Atlanta, vs being an hour away from San Fransico and the Spectacular California coastline.. Charlotte is close to the "great" smokey mountains, but Sacramento is closer to Tahoe... no comparison there really, as grand father mountain is pretty but no awe inspiring. Charlotte metro area has almost no natural land value as its worthless for commercial agriculuture and isnt sitting on top of the largest shale oil field in north america, nor proximity to world class tourist destinations. Also, despite being inland quite a ways, it still has a deep water channel, waterfront and water access to the pacific ocean. I have zero confidence in the charlotte housing market long term and it just doesnt have the track record of value creation that you get by living in California.. especially at these prices. To top that off, for a state that doesnt have all the big fancy public works projects like california does, I would like to know just where the hell my tax dollars are going in this state, because the rate certaintly isnt a whole lot cheaper. Property Taxes are also less in California in general. The property taxes on my monterey home, 1.25% and my property value can only ever go up at the rate of the CPI.

Metro Population

Charlotte

Sacramento

Here are some Google times to give some perspective of how out in the middle of nowhwere charlotte really is.

Distance from Sacramento to SF 1:34
Distance from Sacramento to Tahoe 2:00
Distance from Sacramento to Pebble Beach 3:04
Distance from Sacramento to Napa 1:04
Distance from Sacramento to Los Angeles 6:00

Distance from Charlotte to Washington 6:00
Distance from Charlotte to Charleston 3:06
Distance from Charlotte to Atlanta 3:45
Distance from Charlotte to Asheville 2:06
North Carolina is a third of the size of California. There are much more cities in California. There is much more land in California. There is much more infrastructure in California.

Charlotte is a lot cheaper than Sacramento.

If you're going to post metro population, at least post the correct numbers.

Charlotte metro- 2,296,569 +%3.59
Sacramento metro- 2,196, 482 +%2.20

Old 10-04-2013, 05:31 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
Who the heck wants to live in Sacramento? LOL

Old 10-04-2013, 08:37 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,977,206 times
The question of why someone would move here is a bit like why someone would choose Bermuda versus Nassau versus Puerto Rico. Each one is an island, but they're different kinds of islands.

Charlotte is a smaller "urban island". It's not like Chicago, or Atlanta, or wherever. But it appeals to people who balance out what it has and does not have, from among the other "urban islands" in the USA.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:40 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,191,456 times
you have many conflicting goals.

A "must have" list that only includes new construction at 190K and "active social" area don't go together.

A new home at 190K is gonna be a in a crapbox suburb.

You may find some action on a new loft-type townhome or condo though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte