Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 06:51 AM

841 posts, read 2,475,843 times

Advertisements

Anyone know of any place in or around the Charlotte area that rent out bicycles for a few hours - that is also near a park with trails? I did a google search online and it took me to the Charlotte Segway Tours page, but I don't want a 'tour'. I am simply looking to rent a bike and ride around in a park setting and trails.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2013, 06:55 AM

1,241 posts, read 2,322,069 times
This place has racks of bikes at different locations throughout uptown.

Bike Sharing | Community & Public Bikes | B-Cycle | bcycle.com

Old 10-03-2013, 07:05 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,598,740 times
you could always do the bike share around town they are trek and only about $8 a day.

edit: just saw it was posted by the person above me.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:06 AM

3,365 posts, read 10,023,921 times
Need A Rental?

Not that cheap, personally I would go to the whitewater center.

Mountain Biking | U.S. National Whitewater Center

That way you can rent and ride there.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepulgeek View Post
This place has racks of bikes at different locations throughout uptown.

Bike Sharing | Community & Public Bikes | B-Cycle | bcycle.com
I am not really interested in the bike sharing because I read on their website that they're only for 'sharing' and not 'renting'. So I can't go on trails or use it for the entire day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post
Need A Rental?

Not that cheap, personally I would go to the whitewater center.

Mountain Biking | U.S. National Whitewater Center

That way you can rent and ride there.

I knew the Whitewater Center had bike trails, but I had no idea they rented them there. I just called and they do rent them so this is exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks!

Old 10-03-2013, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samana View Post

I knew the Whitewater Center had bike trails, but I had no idea they rented them there. I just called and they do rent them so this is exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks!
Once you go post a review and let us know how you liked it.

Old 10-03-2013, 08:07 AM

samana sharing is just the name of the program when you rent it for the $8 you get it for the whole day

Old 10-03-2013, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumbaa View Post
samana sharing is just the name of the program when you rent it for the $8 you get it for the whole day

Actually it is $8 for the right to rent the bike, which gives you 1/2 an hour, it is then $4 ever subsequent 1/2 hour, up to a max of $75 for the day.

If you wanted to not pay extra you would have to check the bike in before the 30minutes are up and then check it back out again. I had been going to buy a membership but never got around to it.

I quoted from the website below.

Charlotte B-cycle is priced for short rides. Remember, it is bike SHARING, not bike renting. After purchasing a 24-hour Pass or becoming a member, you can take an unlimited number of rides during your pass/membership period. All trips lasting 30 minutes or less (60 minutes or less for student memberships) are included with your purchase and trips longer than 30 minutes will incur additional user fees.

Think of the user fees as similar to keeping a DVD for an extra day. There's a fee, right? Same with bike sharing: Keep the bike longer than a half-hour if you wish, but there's an added charge. We charge for any trip over 30 minutes (60 minutes for student members) to discourage people from having the bikes checked out of the system for an extended period of time. If everyone kept the bike out all day for themselves, it would not be bike sharing.

Old 10-03-2013, 08:41 AM

ohh did not know that, it did not say that on the screen when we rented them. it just said a single day was $8 and the yearly pass was something like $64. it never said anything about needing to be returned every 30 minutes, and my card was never charged and we had 2 of them all day. we rode from the courthouse down to sugar creek greenway, down to freedom park, and back and my card was only charged $16 for the 2 bikes. i did use a student membership and it was right when they were released so maybe they were just letting you rent it for the $8 to start off.

Old 10-03-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumbaa View Post
I agree with flyingscotsman - it's just for sharing. Plus, I want to take the bike off-road and those bikes probably are not meant for trail riding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post
Once you go post a review and let us know how you liked it.
Definitely!

I plan on going next weekend. I already called them and it's anywhere between $20-$35 to rent their bikes - the price depends on the kind of bike you want (single speed, etc). But I will come back and comment on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: