U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-15-2013, 10:12 AM
 
Location: The 12th State
22,974 posts, read 60,729,661 times
Reputation: 15002

Advertisements

Included in the $162,523: $14,361 dollars for food and alcohol for the VIP reception; $74,314 for stage and production; $33,000 for singer Jo Dee Messina.

$162,000 price tag for Romare Bearden Park's Grand Opening - WBTV 3 News, Weather, Sports, and Traffic for Charlotte, NC
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-15-2013, 11:10 AM
 
2,603 posts, read 4,489,381 times
Reputation: 1955
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Included in the $162,523: $14,361 dollars for food and alcohol for the VIP reception; $74,314 for stage and production; $33,000 for singer Jo Dee Messina.

$162,000 price tag for Romare Bearden Park's Grand Opening - WBTV 3 News, Weather, Sports, and Traffic for Charlotte, NC
The county taxpayers got their money's worth for that park. It's well-used already and much better than what was there before.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2013, 11:37 AM
 
8,402 posts, read 21,630,216 times
Reputation: 6791
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
The county taxpayers got their money's worth for that park. It's well-used already and much better than what was there before.
The park, yes. Three days of celebration, not so much. Aren't we still short staffed in Parks and Rec to the point that volunteers have been doing some of the maintenance?


Maybe this gets us a little closer to being world class.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2013, 02:46 PM
 
13,436 posts, read 10,366,450 times
Reputation: 6309
33K for who? Never heard of her....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2013, 08:47 PM
 
2,341 posts, read 4,215,931 times
Reputation: 1670
I think people like to complain too much. It was budgeted for and if the county commission wanted to know detailed line items they should have asked for that before they approved the budget last year. It was a 3 day holiday weekend and I believe the park actually opened on Friday making it 4 days.

The only think I take issue with is the money spent for a VIP reception.

Messina is a country music singer. I don't think she's had a hit in a while, but I"m guessing you pay for her band and assistants as well.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2013, 04:14 AM
 
Location: The 12th State
22,974 posts, read 60,729,661 times
Reputation: 15002
This is break down of the expense:

Romare Bearden Expenses
Opening Weekend
Reception Food $14,360.89
Tents for weekend event $8,542.68
Décor $290.65
Children's Art Tent $589.06

Stage and Production $74,313.50
Blue Tulip $600
Carrie Marshall $1000
Buff Dillard $1000
Shableek $ 1000

Saturday
Caroline Calouche $750
Roving Entertainment $8,600
Kojo Bey Drummers $300
JAI $400
Who Rescued Who $1,000
Karla Davis $1,500
Rough Draft $2,500
Jo Dee Messina $33,000
Backline $650
Labor $2000
Vans $786
Plywood $1,600
Tie Downs $2,000
Artist Hospitality (hotel, meal, rides) $2,740

Sunday Entertainment Charlotte Folk Society $3,000

When it was in the budget, it was not a line item for this event.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2013, 08:47 AM
 
8,402 posts, read 21,630,216 times
Reputation: 6791
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
I think people like to complain too much. It was budgeted for and if the county commission wanted to know detailed line items they should have asked for that before they approved the budget last year. It was a 3 day holiday weekend and I believe the park actually opened on Friday making it 4 days.

The only think I take issue with is the money spent for a VIP reception.

Messina is a country music singer. I don't think she's had a hit in a while, but I"m guessing you pay for her band and assistants as well.
Many billions of completely wasted $$$$ are "budgeted for" by various levels of government, and that money is allowed to be thrown away by the very people who are tasked to make sure it is spent properly. That is the point of this thread.

How many people were fed for over $14K?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2013, 08:57 AM
 
13,436 posts, read 10,366,450 times
Reputation: 6309
only issue I have is the singer making 33K... that's a lot of cash for someone who hasn't had a hit in a minute.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2013, 09:03 AM
 
6,123 posts, read 8,577,643 times
Reputation: 3617
I don't know what the going rate is for performers but I was actually surprised they got a name even as big as Jo Dee Messina to play a free concert in a park.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2013, 10:48 AM
 
8,402 posts, read 21,630,216 times
Reputation: 6791
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I don't know what the going rate is for performers but I was actually surprised they got a name even as big as Jo Dee Messina to play a free concert in a park.
For $33K I'm sure a has been like her (no offense; she's definitely on her way down) would play a lot of gigs less than a park opening.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte

All times are GMT -6.

¬© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top