Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 08:10 AM

5 posts, read 74,492 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to decide between NJ and Charlotte. I'm thinking Charlotte will offer the best quality of life, but NJ the better jobs market (MBA from top-tier school). I'm leaning toward Charlotte, but have one lingering question.

As an African-American female I'm concerned that Charlotte might be the kind of place where everyone is expected to be with "their own" aka people of the same race. Having lived in the east for 10 years my friends/roommates were every color of the rainbow, not to mention I date outside of my race.

All that being said, might I be uncomfortable in Charlotte?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2007, 08:56 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,305,693 times
charlotte demographics
//pics.city-data.com/craces/15227.png (broken link)

base on this chart you will be moving to a safer area than where you are at now.
StateMaster - Hate Crimes > Race related (per capita) (most recent) by state (broken link)

Old 11-18-2007, 08:59 AM

199 posts, read 955,780 times
You can also live in Charlotte and commute to NJ -- that's what I do. Not sure why only these two locations are options for you, shouldn't you be able to find a job pretty much anywhere?

I think that NJ is the worst state I've worked in / visited so far (I've seen 40+ states) and I cannot wait until I'm done w/ my project. But hey, now I appreciate Charlotte 100x more when I arrive at the end of the week. People down here are courteous, they smile, say hello - it is really a different world.

I'm not sure how it is for African-Americans to live here but I'm originally from Western Europe and haven't had any problems so far. In fact, people are interested in meeting me.

Old 11-18-2007, 09:09 AM

1 posts, read 3,599 times
Not sure where you're thinking of moving in NJ, but I live here now and am moving to Charlotte with my husband at the end of '08 (we're an intercultural couple - -I'm AA, he's Greek). I think that depending on where you live in NJ, you'll experience the same things that you're concerned about with the move to Charlotte, especially if you're going to be more than 20 minutes or so outside of NYC.

Old 11-18-2007, 09:46 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,100,008 times
I moved from Monmouth County (Central New Jersey) two years ago to Charlotte, and it was the smartest decision I made. Don't get me wrong, I miss things about New Jersey (pizza, bagels, better drivers, Madison Square Garden) but the people in Charlotte are a lot friendlier, the weather is better, tons of jobs in finance, and New Jersey is just too damn crowded now.

As for worrying about race, I am an Irish-American (my parents were born in Ireland) and not an African-American and I will be honest with you, I did expect to see traces of racism toward African-Americans. I have been pleasantly surprised that this hasn't been the case. It's unfortunate that I am sure that there is racism here in Charlotte, but I think that's the case almost everywhere. But I would bet you would be very happy here in Charlotte and would strongly recommend moving here.

Besides, half of New Jersey and New York are moving here as well.

Good luck!

Old 11-18-2007, 11:00 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,424,920 times
Charlotte is very diverse. You will be fine. This is 2007 afterall.

Old 11-18-2007, 01:24 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,850,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grace9090 View Post
I'm trying to decide between NJ and Charlotte. I'm thinking Charlotte will offer the best quality of life, but NJ the better jobs market (MBA from top-tier school). I'm leaning toward Charlotte, but have one lingering question.

As an African-American female I'm concerned that Charlotte might be the kind of place where everyone is expected to be with "their own" aka people of the same race. Having lived in the east for 10 years my friends/roommates were every color of the rainbow, not to mention I date outside of my race.

Thanks!
So what you are saying in reality is that you believe that Charlotte might be a city of ignorant people that think that people of different races should stay with their own. I personally think that you will look hard for signs of racism if you come here, and when you do, you will find it like you would anywhere else. I would suggest that you stay in NJ. It appears that you have racial hang-ups and you might step on toes with what appears to be a prejudiced attitude. You might not only be uncomfortable here, but you might make others uncomfortable. In Charlotte, nobody really cares about race if you don't act like a jerk.

Last edited by vindaloo; 11-18-2007 at 01:34 PM.. Reason: change wording

Old 11-18-2007, 01:27 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,631,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grace9090 View Post

Thanks!
What in the world has given you any inclination that a racial divide is what you will find in Charlotte? Not sure who you've been listening to or what you've been reading, but the only color that divides people in Charlotte is GREEN. It may behoove you to use the "search" tool to read up on other similar questions.

Old 11-18-2007, 04:31 PM

206 posts, read 512,078 times
Arrow Give her a break

Please give her a break! Her fears are legitimate, we cannot ignore the racist image of the south ... come on guys.

I must assure you Grace9090, I have been to Charlotte several times in the past 2 years on business and have been pleasantly surprised at the friendliness of all the people I have encountered both insocial and business settings Kudos to Charlotte!! I can't say the same for places like Raliegh and Atlanta. We both have similar educational backgrounds and I am also AA. I had some of the same concerns but was pleasantly surprised. The other posts are correct, Charlotte appears to be divided by economic class, not necessarily race.

What I will tell you is this... New Jersey has way way less racial tolerance than Charlotte (I live in Westchester county, NY). I have done business and have friends in both places. My suggestion is that you visit to see for yourself. The city is not that big so you can get a lot done in a few days. I suggest that you try to attend a networking/business event to get a flavor of attitudes. If you love the area and desire to move there, find a job then relocate.

Old 11-18-2007, 04:39 PM

578 posts, read 2,590,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westchestergal View Post
Please give her a break! Her fears are legitimate, we cannot ignore the racist image of the south ... come on guys.

I must assure you Grace9090, I have been to Charlotte several times in the past 2 years on business and have been pleasantly surprised at the friendliness of all the people I have encountered both insocial and business settings Kudos to Charlotte!! I can't say the same for places like Raliegh and Atlanta. We both have similar educational backgrounds and I am also AA. I had some of the same concerns but was pleasantly surprised. The other posts are correct, Charlotte appears to be divided by economic class, not necessarily race.

What I will tell you is this... New Jersey has way way less racial tolerance than Charlotte (I live in Westchester county, NY). I have done business and have friends in both places. My suggestion is that you visit to see for yourself. The city is not that big so you can get a lot done in a few days. I suggest that you try to attend a networking/business event to get a flavor of attitudes. If you love the area and desire to move there, find a job then relocate.

^^^ Yeah, what he said. The reality in the South (is Charlotte really the South?) and the perception from Northerners (speaking as a recent transplant) is waaaaaaaaaaay off, thus the question needs to be asked and answered so that the incorrect pre-conceived notions can be put to rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte