U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 07:58 AM

7,041 posts, read 14,199,159 times

Advertisements

This is for my Chicagoan friends: I found that BJ's carries Italian Beef!! Now, there is no juice, so, you will have to make it yourself with some beef stock & Italian seasoning....BUT....it's about as close as you are gonna get here in Charlotte!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 05:05 PM

125 posts, read 229,366 times
Matt's Chicago has it. It is a restaurant so other than buying it off the menu there's no other way of getting it.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:42 PM

7,041 posts, read 14,199,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakekansas123 View Post
Matt's Chicago has it. It is a restaurant so other than buying it off the menu there's no other way of getting it.
I know about Matt's. This is at the deli, however, so, you can take it home.

It is $6.99/pound. You could make 2 very generous sandwiches out of the pound for (roughly) $4.00 apiece...figuring in the cost of of the hoagie bun & the juice...

Old 11-07-2013, 02:35 PM

27 posts, read 55,262 times
Thanks for sharing :-)

Old 11-07-2013, 02:42 PM

6,059 posts, read 9,424,093 times
I want me some good ole Beef on Weck - if that's made around here I would love to know about it!

Old 04-19-2017, 05:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,204 times
If you are looking for a Chicago Italian Beef Sandwich in Charlotte then look no further than Artful Gourmet Carryout & Catering in Matthews, NC. Chef Mike is from Chicago and has worked in some of the best restaurants there. People have said his Italian Beef is as good if not better than Portillo's! He even uses the exact same bread as Portillo's and has it shipped in every week! They also have the best burgers in the Charlotte area.

Old 04-19-2017, 09:48 PM

1,149 posts, read 826,156 times
Yeah, my family is from Chicago. I have tried to make it twice here in the Charlotte area and no where near the same.

Old 04-20-2017, 03:09 PM

391 posts, read 353,587 times
I'm curious. What is Italian beef?

Old 04-21-2017, 07:24 AM

6,800 posts, read 6,448,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff of London View Post
I'm curious. What is Italian beef?
"An Italian beef is a sandwich of thin slices of seasoned roast beef, dripping with meat juices, on a dense, long Italian-style roll, which originated in Chicago where its history dates back at least to the 1930s.[1] The bread itself is often dipped (or double-dipped) into the juices the meat is cooked in, and the sandwich is typically topped off with Chicago-style giardiniera (called "hot") or sauteed, green Italian sweet peppers (called "sweet")."

"Italian beef is made using cuts of beef from the sirloin rear or the top/bottom round wet-roasted in broth with garlic, oregano and spices until cooked throughout. The meat is roasted at medium heat (≤350°), which contributes to the sandwich’s famous ‘jus’ or gravy. This process can result in as much as a 45% reduction in yield. The beef is then cooled, sliced thin using a deli slicer, and then reintroduced to its reheated beef broth. The beef then sits in the broth, typically for hours."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_beef

Old 04-21-2017, 01:21 PM

391 posts, read 353,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
"An Italian beef is a sandwich of thin slices of seasoned roast beef, dripping with meat juices, on a dense, long Italian-style roll, which originated in Chicago where its history dates back at least to the 1930s.[1] The bread itself is often dipped (or double-dipped) into the juices the meat is cooked in, and the sandwich is typically topped off with Chicago-style giardiniera (called "hot") or sauteed, green Italian sweet peppers (called "sweet")."

"Italian beef is made using cuts of beef from the sirloin rear or the top/bottom round wet-roasted in broth with garlic, oregano and spices until cooked throughout. The meat is roasted at medium heat (≤350°), which contributes to the sandwich’s famous ‘jus’ or gravy. This process can result in as much as a 45% reduction in yield. The beef is then cooled, sliced thin using a deli slicer, and then reintroduced to its reheated beef broth. The beef then sits in the broth, typically for hours."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_beef
Thanks for the very detailed definition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte