U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 10:21 AM

1,199 posts, read 1,801,441 times

Advertisements

We're back home to the cold weather after visiting Charlotte and the surrounding area on a vacation/retirement fact finding trip. Our thoughts:

*Charlottes a beautiful city with a lot to do. Weather wasn't much warmer than Vermont while we were there, but you had more sunshine.
* Panther fans, for the most part are a class act. We wondered, since we're Pats fans on your turf, but everyone was nice and friendly. Your stadium beer selection sucks.
* Beer. Vermont has some awesome beer, but your breweries make some damn good stuff too. Heist Brewery has a great brunch. Too bad we had just eaten .
*Food. We ate well on our trip. The food was very reasonable compared to home and we had no bad meals. We were extremely pleased. Our only complaint was about a waitress at the Black Finn. I hope she's looking elsewhere for work, since she obviously didn't like what she was doing.
*Homeless/beggars: We got hit up daily for money. A couple were somewhat aggressive. It was the only time in your city that I felt somewhat nervous, as I had to tell one guy to "Back Off". I'm not sure how I'd feel having my wife traveling the streets in a women only group.
*Stuff to do: Hands down, a great city for things to do. Sports, racing, museums, theaters. Charlotte has it all.
*On that front.We're not NASCAR fans. However, after the museum and a trip to the speedway, I want to see a race. The tour was awesome. From someone who thought NASCAR was stupid, I apologize. I get it now.
*Traffic: It was slow to get around at times. We felt like rats in a maze trying to get to our hotel. What's up with the one way streets and then no right or left turns? It's like y a can't get there from here.
* We had a great time. I could retire around Charlotte. Lots to see and do but I'd want to be out away from the city for every day living. Thanks NC...now let me go wax my snow shovel!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2013, 11:16 AM

11,838 posts, read 27,259,481 times
Quote:
*Homeless/beggars: We got hit up daily for money. A couple were somewhat aggressive. It was the only time in your city that I felt somewhat nervous, as I had to tell one guy to "Back Off". I'm not sure how I'd feel having my wife traveling the streets in a women only group.
I have to deal with these folks on a daily basis. You're right, some of them are quite aggressive. Aggressive to the point where one of them has taken a swing at me. If your wife was in a group I doubt that she'd be victimized. In my case I have the 911 dispatchers on speed dial. I've found with the majority of them that if you nicely ask them to leave, they comply. The aggressive ones get to have a chat with CMPD.

Thanks for coming down & seeing what we're all about. I hope you have a good visit when you return.

Old 11-22-2013, 01:05 PM

14,691 posts, read 25,258,720 times
Ya, the one way streets can get to you especially uptown. Because you can't just go around the block due to construction and/or "no turns" during certain hours. I've always said that I've never made as many U-Turns as I have to in Charlotte.

I've only had one aggressive panhandler, but they may think twice about starting with me just based on my size.

Old 11-22-2013, 01:27 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,190,857 times
I'm uptown all the time, for over 15 years, and I have never been approached. Not saying you all are making it up, I just never see it.

Old 11-22-2013, 03:02 PM

1,199 posts, read 1,801,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles34 View Post
I'm uptown all the time, for over 15 years, and I have never been approached. Not saying you all are making it up, I just never see it.
We were asked for money daily. Maybe because we were in the Tryon St. Area every day? I'm a big guy and don't usually get hassled. The incident that bothered me happened on Tryon st. The girls were walking ahead of us and it was later at night. As we waited for the light to cross, she was approached by a guy (appeared homeless) who asked for a light. She ignored him and he kept pushing towards her. She moved over and he was following until I told him to "Back off". We continued down the street and he came up behind us again. I moved behind my wife thinking purse snatch and boxed him out. He turned and went and sat with a group on the benches.
My friends wife was approached by a guy in the corner lobby of the Courtyard Marriot as she was waiting for our tour. She came outside with us because he kept asking for money. He then came outside and approached my friend, telling him he was an ex police officer and he'd been watching him. He said my friend looked like he'd help out an ex-cop.
The other approachs were simple money requests which I'm used to.
I only brought it up because as part of visiting possible future retirement locations, safety and walkability is a consideration. The aggressive nature of the encounter hopefully is out of the norm and can happen anywhere. My short visit doesn't give me that info. Hoping residents would.

Old 11-22-2013, 03:59 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,088,710 times
I really think you just had bad luck. I have never been approached for money in Charlotte that I can remember. I don't work uptown, but have been there often for events, dinner, etc. Not saying it does not happen, but I doubt it is a regular occurrence.

Old 11-22-2013, 05:50 PM

1,056 posts, read 1,987,408 times
One of my favorite places to tell visitors to go to is the National Whitewater Center. Did you happen to visit there? It's a world class facility, largest of its kind anywhere. It's even an Olympic training center. You pay $5 to park but it's free to go in, roam around and watch the excitement. They have a great restaurant there, and they do serve beer and mixed drinks. The food is great too. It's open every day of the year I think. Check that out if you happen to come back.

Old 11-22-2013, 05:52 PM

125 posts, read 228,796 times
If you do make a trip back check out the suburbs. There are very nice areas of charlotte that are polar opposites of downtown. I have lived here for 7 years and have stepped foot in downtown maybe six times. It would help you get a real feel of what most people experience in this city. The homeless problem downtown needs to be somehow addressed in my opinion, two of the times I went uptown I had a homeless person, who was very drunk, fall on the hood of my car and dent it and another time someone tried to swing a cane at my vehicle. Given, I was not in the best neighborhood when they both happened but it definitely put a tarnish of my view of an otherwise beautiful city. Back to the visit, definitely visit some of the surrounding areas if you return and if you don't I hope for the most part you had an enjoyable trip, minus the ridiculous flag at the end of the game.

Old 11-22-2013, 06:39 PM
LLN

5,240 posts, read 10,005,967 times
I worked for several years in the 200 block of Tryon. I was approached frequently. It is inconceivable to me anyone who is in that area is not approached. I guess I am a tough guy since a firm "no" always turned the beggars. I thought that trash was really beginning to take its toll on Charlotte's aura!

Old 11-23-2013, 12:43 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,859,029 times
I can remember @ one time it wasn't that much of a problem, but it has gotten worse in the last couple of years, especially since the Great Recession! They even had a report on Channel 9 Eyewitness News a couple of weeks ago that a lot of cities are busing their homeless people to Charlotte promising them a better life in Charlotte, makes you wonder if that is the case with the more aggressive panhandling that's going on lately! The city really needs to do something about that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte