U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 11-22-2013, 10:30 AM
 
8,402 posts, read 22,251,608 times
Reputation: 6800

Advertisements

an area near the western end of Sardis Road North. I can't find anything to explain why. Any ideas?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-22-2013, 11:01 AM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
11,838 posts, read 26,747,642 times
Reputation: 2798
They could be chasing someone who ran onto a greenway. I see them all the time over by Nations Ford & Woodlawn.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2013, 11:04 AM
 
Location: Matthews, NC
14,693 posts, read 24,766,448 times
Reputation: 14378
The CMPD doesn't have an online scanner, I've been listening to the one for the fire dept but they haven't said anything for that area.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2013, 11:08 AM
 
8,402 posts, read 22,251,608 times
Reputation: 6800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
They could be chasing someone who ran onto a greenway. I see them all the time over by Nations Ford & Woodlawn.
Someone, as in criminal? That was my first thought too. It was making very tight circles over an area just a couple streets from mine. Gone now.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2013, 11:10 AM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
11,838 posts, read 26,747,642 times
Reputation: 2798
Criminal or a suspect in something. Criminals seem to think that they can disappear in a greenway. If I remember correctly the helicopters have thermal sensors on them.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2013, 04:04 PM
 
8,402 posts, read 22,251,608 times
Reputation: 6800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Criminal or a suspect in something. Criminals seem to think that they can disappear in a greenway. If I remember correctly the helicopters have thermal sensors on them.
They do. I attended a meet and greet with the CMPD a few weeks ago. They brought a bunch of their toys, including one of their new Bell 407 helicopters.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2013, 04:40 PM
 
373 posts, read 723,631 times
Reputation: 674
Thermal images are not very useful in dense forest, should that area have dense forest.
The police helo usually circles an area when searching for a suspect.
News choppers usually circle over a fire or bad traffic accident.

If the helo left the area, it may have just needed to re-fuel.
Then again, it is possible that the event that brought them there is over.

From a personal safety standpoint, whenever a helo is circling above and near my location, that is a good time to check the doors and windows to ensure they are locked. It is also a good time to have unobstructed access to a fire-arm for personal protection.

Not saying over-react.
Just saying act accordingly.
When you have lived in bad areas where crime happens a lot and the police helo often circles your neighborhood, you learn to simply make your personal safety a priority.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2013, 06:57 PM
 
2 posts, read 3,046 times
Reputation: 10
The damn news choppers drive me crazy most mornings hovering over I-485 nearby from 6-7am. Do we really need live pictures of traffic congestion which happens every workday?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2013, 07:10 PM
 
373 posts, read 723,631 times
Reputation: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
Does President Obama and Nancy Pelosi know about your plan?
What????
This makes no sense, not even in a joking way.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2013, 07:41 AM
 
821 posts, read 1,693,104 times
Reputation: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesecracker View Post
Thermal images are not very useful in dense forest, should that area have dense forest.
The police helo usually circles an area when searching for a suspect.
News choppers usually circle over a fire or bad traffic accident.

If the helo left the area, it may have just needed to re-fuel.
Then again, it is possible that the event that brought them there is over.

From a personal safety standpoint, whenever a helo is circling above and near my location, that is a good time to check the doors and windows to ensure they are locked. It is also a good time to have unobstructed access to a fire-arm for personal protection.

Not saying over-react.
Just saying act accordingly.
When you have lived in bad areas where crime happens a lot and the police helo often circles your neighborhood, you learn to simply make your personal safety a priority.
Excellent advice. My wife once owned a business on Sardis Road North and kept a scanner on her desk. Anytime she heard the chopper circling overhead or police report about a bank robbery, she put her offices on lock down.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top