U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2013, 03:45 PM

4 posts, read 5,300 times

Advertisements

Snapshot: Me, Wife, Son (7), Son (3)

Living: Would like to know safe/connected neighborhoods in/around Charlotte with nice homes and good school districts. Somewhere not too populated and spread out but still close enough to market/shopping/recreation/schools.

Differences: What are the major differences I will encounter should I move (Taxes, crime, etc)?

Pros: What are the pros of moving here?

Cons: What are cons of moving here?

Weather: Is it really that humid during the summer? Does it snow often?

Missing: What am I missing?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 05:47 PM

74 posts, read 104,944 times
We just moved from NorCal to Fort Mill. So far so good. No traffic Houses are big, taxes are cheap (in SC) schools are #1 in SC. Cons, not quite as diverse as the OC or CA in general. Slower pace of life which is not a con, but if you are impatient... it will drive you crazy. IE, call a contractor to get something done.... weeks.. not days. You have basically everything.. Whole foods, TJs, Costco, etc. If you want to make a killing, start up a great family friendly restaurant and bar. Seems like there is not much around except bar food and chain places. Granted.. have not ventured to "Uptown" that much... (probably should).

Hilton Head is 3 hours away. Snow is not far if you want. Summer.. I hear its humid.. so if you never had it before... its quite different. Im from midwest and was used to it. To me i compare... 100 degree and dry heat to 90 and humid. Either way.. its friggin hot.

Old 11-25-2013, 06:10 PM

298 posts, read 563,094 times
We live in both Southern CA and NC (summers). Our kids attend school in CA but my husband works in NC but travels a lot that's why we opted to stay in CA for now. There are not too many similarities between the 2 places. Overall it is cheaper in NC, especially housing, with the exception of groceries being more expensive. The summers are very, very hot and humid. Two out of eleven summers have been a little milder. It seems to only snow a few days per year so not an issue. Since our kids have never attended school in NC I'm probably not the best judge. From what I have read on this forum the schools seem to be hit or miss. Like the previous posted mentioned, Fort Mill is a good option for schools. All I can say is be very open minded and not expect anything to be the same as CA.

Old 11-26-2013, 06:57 AM

569 posts, read 1,305,012 times
As someone who has strong family ties to S Cali I will try to answer below.

Differences: What are the major differences I will encounter should I move (Taxes, crime, etc)? Biggest differences IMO would be culture, NC is completely different that southern cali. Taxes will be less for sure.

Pros: What are the pros of moving here? low cost of living, cheaper housing, change of season

Cons: What are cons of moving here? somewhat limited outdoor life compared to cali, no beach or mountains within a 30 minute drive like southern cali, Mexican food is limited

Weather: Is it really that humid during the summer? Does it snow often? Yes, it is very humid compared to where you live, I suggest you visit Mid July and find out. We don't get much snow here.

Missing: What am I missing? Comparing NC to CA is like apples and oranges, they are worlds apart. NC is very family oriented, less of a focus on overall health and fitness and more of a focus on food and family. Parts of Charlotte/Raleigh are progressive, specifically inner city Charlotte you will find local food marts, organic farmers markets, trader joes, mom and pop delis, yoga studios and alternative medicine. If you live in the suburbs however you may be stuck with chain restaurants and subway. It really depends on where you live in southern ca and what you are used to.

Old 11-30-2013, 02:11 PM

Default Thanks...

Thanks to all for the feedback...any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 11-30-2013, 04:21 PM

488 posts, read 728,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangert View Post
Thanks to all for the feedback...any other suggestions would be appreciated.
SoCal transplant here -

Cons No good mexican food, no In N Out, no good California pizza. Summer is more humid

Pros - Traffic is better, Homes are 10xs better for the money, More land, Salaries are better here when you figure in cost of living. Less than 4 hours from about anywhere (snow, beach etc). Fall and Spring are spectacular, winters are pretty mild (I have been here 18 year and bought my first coat last year to go to NYC) History right in your back yard

I would not go back to SoCal for anything. LOVE it here.

Old 11-30-2013, 04:29 PM

488 posts, read 728,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangert View Post
Snapshot: Me, Wife, Son (7), Son (3)

Living: Would like to know safe/connected neighborhoods in/around Charlotte with nice homes and good school districts. Somewhere not too populated and spread out but still close enough to market/shopping/recreation/schools.
I would highly recommend Davidson as fitting what you want but we need to know where you are working and the amount of money you are looking to spend on housing.

Old 12-01-2013, 03:30 PM

428 posts, read 732,632 times
I have a few friends who moved here from Southern CA earlier this year, and they both moved to Waxhaw and seem to love it.

Old 12-01-2013, 03:54 PM

62 posts, read 283,654 times
Moved from LA in 05.

Slakkie's post above I would agree with on pros and cons for sure.

The weather (some love it) is still no good for me. Growing up in SoCal, I still love the consistent 70-80's year round.

The food I think out there is way better, more choices and better diversity.

I miss it a ton and would move back for the right job & $. You never know. I never would have said I would ever leave there let alone move to Charlotte. I place I'd never been to or knew much about.

Good luck.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:36 PM

Thanks again to all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte