Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 08:50 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times

Advertisements

I am really disgusted with how high my water bills are running . . . and I am not consuming that much water.

Looks like the storm and sewer fees are what are running it up, but my water consumption also looks too high, so I am looking for any leaks around the house (running toilet, for example).

Before I freaked out, though, I thought I would see how my bill stacks up to other people's. Only hubby and I are in the house, so consider that as normal useage. However, both of us are not here fulltime, due to travel.

Our water consumption went up a LOT this past billing period and we are very perplexed about that, as we have done nothing to cause this increase, i.e., powerwashing, water plants, washing a car, etc. So that is quite puzzling.

Here is the breakdown of our bill:

Water Use: 31.60 (which is 1/3 higher than our typical use in the preceding months of this year)
Sewer: 53.52
Water fees 5.09
Sewer fees: 7.25
Storm water fee: 10.01

How does this compare to other people's bills/use, if you don't mind sharing?

Getting a bill for over $100 in a month where both of us have not even been here 24/7 and when we have done nothing to run extra water is the pits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2013, 09:55 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,569,264 times
Anifani - here is my last water bill - it was for 30 days of service.
Two people in the house (One goes to the YMCA pretty regularly and takes a shower there).
This was probably my lowest bill this year.

water usage 2.40
sewer usage 8.92 ($4.46 per ccf of water usage)
water fees 4.93
sewer fees 7.02
storm water fee 10.65

Your water usage (and sewer - based on water use) seems really high to me.

Any chance you have a broken pipe or something? Years ago I had to replace the water line from the street to my house. All of the houses on my street were built in the early 60's and it seems like everyone had to replace this pipe over about a 2 year period. I think that is the only time I ever had a $100+ water bill.

Old 11-29-2013, 09:58 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,951,581 times
My bill is about half of yours Ani.

Old 11-29-2013, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
Anifani - here is my last water bill - it was for 30 days of service.
Two people in the house (One goes to the YMCA pretty regularly and takes a shower there).
This was probably my lowest bill this year.

water usage 2.40
sewer usage 8.92 ($4.46 per ccf of water usage)
water fees 4.93
sewer fees 7.02
storm water fee 10.65

Your water usage (and sewer - based on water use) seems really high to me.

Any chance you have a broken pipe or something? Years ago I had to replace the water line from the street to my house. All of the houses on my street were built in the early 60's and it seems like everyone had to replace this pipe over about a 2 year period. I think that is the only time I ever had a $100+ water bill.
Wow. I am stunned.

Charlotteborn, how do I go about having the pipe from the road checked - to see if there is a leak? As it happens, my next door neighbor had a rupture in a pipe to his house several years ago, and our houses were built about the same time.

My mouth is still dropping open hearing how much less water your family uses. Our bill has always been too high and I called CharMeck about it several years ago and they said my use was about normal so I thought - oh well.

I think I need to check for a leak but don't know how to go about that.

Old 11-29-2013, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
My bill is about half of yours Ani.
This really concerns me, Barkingowl.

I think it is time to find out about any leaks.

Old 11-29-2013, 10:07 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,951,581 times
I'm surprised frankly since you seem to be living at your mountain home most of the year.

Old 11-29-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
I'm surprised frankly since you seem to be living at your mountain home most of the year.
Yes, I have been at the mtn. house a lot while doing renovations on that property, but hubby has been here in Charlotte most of the time when I am not. He has just recently retired so now he will be doing renovations at this house . . . not letting him get too comfy on that sofa, lololol.

Old 11-29-2013, 10:23 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,569,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Wow. I am stunned.

Charlotteborn, how do I go about having the pipe from the road checked - to see if there is a leak? As it happens, my next door neighbor had a rupture in a pipe to his house several years ago, and our houses were built about the same time.

My mouth is still dropping open hearing how much less water your family uses. Our bill has always been too high and I called CharMeck about it several years ago and they said my use was about normal so I thought - oh well.

I think I need to check for a leak but don't know how to go about that.
The way I found out was the front yard (above water pipe) was sopping wet! Almost like a marsh. Do you know where your water line comes into the house? I would walk every foot of your yard and see if you find any wet ground.

When I had my pipe replaced the plumber said that it is not unusual for neighbors pipes to follow. Apparently when you fix one pipe that leads to higher water pressure for the nearby pipes.

I seem to remember that CMUD gave me a slight credit for the month that my bill was excessive.

Old 11-29-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
The way I found out was the front yard (above water pipe) was sopping wet! Almost like a marsh. Do you know where your water line comes into the house? I would walk every foot of your yard and see if you find any wet ground.

When I had my pipe replaced the plumber said that it is not unusual for neighbors pipes to follow. Apparently when you fix one pipe that leads to higher water pressure for the nearby pipes.

I seem to remember that CMUD gave me a slight credit for the month that my bill was excessive.
There is one area on the side that is shady and seems to stay more moist but overall, it is a very dry yard. However, the upper yard is not a lawn - it is "naturalized" -- it is on a hill and there is mulch and various types of foundation plants, azaleas, etc. So it would be about impossible to tell (if the pipe runs down from that hill).

If I call the CMUD, will they come and mark where the water pipe is? I would think a plumber would need to know where the pipe is b/f he/she could be of any help . . . but I am rather clueless about all this (obviously).

Old 11-29-2013, 10:29 AM

1,508 posts, read 2,978,848 times
About a year and a half ago I started paying close attention to how much water I use, and I cut back. If I have not had an active day, it's enough to just wash up at the sink. I rarely use the dishwasher, just rinse my own plates. A single person can cut back to 1 CCF a month with effort. (I'll admit my bills usually alternated between 1 and 2 CCF a month).

But then you have those fixed sewer fees, which are unavoidable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte