Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2013, 10:13 PM

2 posts, read 2,753 times

Advertisements

Several months ago I visited Charlotte to check out a program at UNCC's Center City campus. I'm set that this is the right fit for me and want to make sure I know as much as possible as upon admission decision, assuming this goes my way I would have about 3 months from now to transition. I would like to be able to be close to the grad building and it would be incredible to have quick access to Hornets games (by time I'd start classes). I like Uptown but really didn't get to see much outside Center City as to where mid/late 20's students/young professionals would live. Is it necessary to have a car in Charlotte? If I wouldn't need to pay for car insurance, gas, car payments and could just do Zipcar or a similar service when absolutely necessary I think this would affect where I'd be looking to live. I would also try to find a roommate as being completely new to the area that would certainly help with meeting new people.
Since I didn't get to see as much as I would've liked of the surrounding areas are there somewhat affordable apartments actually in the city itself or are these developments several miles outside but close enough to be considered in the city?
I have no need for a house or a yard at this point in time and it would just be nice to be close to Center City but maybe there are complexes worth checking out with a pool and access to people my age in similar situations.
There's like 5 questions rolled into one here. Appreciate any feedback as I've done some searches but just really couldn't figure out what's what looking at Apartmentfinder sites. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 01:53 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,282,281 times
Most actual apartment complexes would be further out. The exception would be the booming South End from which you can ride the light rail to school. There are a whole bunch of brand new apartment complexes there but they may be too pricey since they are new and on the light rail. I don't know your budget. If I were young and starting grad school, I would look on Craigslist for houses or apartments to share in one of the neighborhoods surrounding uptown - like Elizabeth, Plaza Midwood, Noda, or Dilworth. All of these neighborhoods have very good bus service and you would not need a car. The one neighborhood I would be leery of is in between Noda and UNCC (Belmont) as there are crime issues there.
A bike would also be useful. You can easily live without a car if you live in one of these close-in neighborhoods.

Old 12-15-2013, 04:57 AM

2 posts, read 2,753 times
Thanks. I'm 29 so not too old but not entering school right out of undergrad and after just browsing CL alone it wasn't hard finding someone in a similar situation whether student or work transfer to share a place relatively close to Uptown. If grocery shopping is reasonably close or accessible by rail, ditching a car and associated costs would cover about half of rent.
When attending an info session, students who grew up in the year said the city and area has grown incredibly quickly over the past 15 years or so. Is it safe to say that there are a lot of people transferring to the area for work and sticking around?

Old 12-15-2013, 05:43 AM

645 posts, read 1,062,790 times
Why not get a room near the main campus? You don't hafta pay for a whole apartment. You just pay for one room. It's really cheap. Plus you'll be withing walking distance of the campus and everything it has to offer. The campus at night is really pretty. Nice during the day too.

But if you want to live uptown, I think you could probably get a penthouse for under $4,000.00 a month.

Old 12-15-2013, 07:03 AM

1,508 posts, read 2,968,307 times
Uptown is not that expensive for someone who is flexible. You may find someone renting a room in one of the 1980s era buildings in 4th ward for $600 or so. Similar story in south end. You can get into uptown in 10 minutes on LYNX from the East/West station or Bland station. Also scout around in 1st ward. The residential areas of uptown are larger than you might assume.

Old 12-15-2013, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryBGood View Post
Why not get a room near the main campus? You don't hafta pay for a whole apartment. You just pay for one room. It's really cheap. Plus you'll be withing walking distance of the campus and everything it has to offer. The campus at night is really pretty. Nice during the day too.

But if you want to live uptown, I think you could probably get a penthouse for under $4,000.00 a month.
OP will be going to school at the Uptown campus.

Old 12-15-2013, 07:13 AM

There is a Harris Teeter Grocery right in Uptown. Dilworth, Myers Park and Plaza Midwood also have Harris Teeters. NODA is a bit more problematic - just a convenience store. The South End will be getting a Publix, but they are only just starting to build it.

Old 12-16-2013, 08:13 AM

328 posts, read 614,245 times
Sound End should be your first priority, as the post above mentions. There are a lot of complexes being built, and there are plenty of restaurants, parks, grocery stores along South and East Blvds. You are adjacent to Uptown and have the benefit of being on the light rail line (although you can conceivably walk to UNCC Uptown if you were in the mood for it). Plus, you have walkable access to Dilworth, Freedom Park, and the bars/restaurants along South Blvd - you'd have a great neighborhood to come home to.

Outside of the neighborhoods directly surrounding Uptown (including Elizabeth, Plaza-Midwood, Wesley Heights, South End, 7th Street Area, and Dilworth), you’ll need a car for sure. Charlotte is a car-driven city in general, so depending on how committed you are to having/not having a vehicle, it will determine how much of the city is available to you during your apartment search. It’s a huge city with a lot of cheaper neighborhoods further out, so if price is an issue, looking further out would be one way around it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte