Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2013, 06:32 PM

115 posts, read 103,154 times

Advertisements

Hi
I am thinking about moving to Charlotte and I need some info. I am middle ageand middle class. I need to know about the employment opportunities for someonein Healthcare billing and also Banking. I would also like to know about thecost of living and housing. There’s not much affordable housing left in Chicago, that is located in a decent safe area. The pay scale and the housing cost donot match, how is it in Charlotte? Also I would like to know about thetransportation system as I will be moving out there without a car. Just how difficultis it to get around?
Also how is the entertainment? I'm not that much of anight club person, but I do enjoy going to the movies, bowling, shopping and outdooractivities weather permitting. Is there anything that may interest me? Speakingof weather, just how hot does it get? What kind of pest does Charlotte have? Mymain concern is lizards, Africanized bees and wasp.
Also, what side of the city best meets my needs? I do not need a very large space, a 1 or 2 bedroom or a loft would be fine. Is that a safe place to live? I prefer to live in a diverse area. I plan onmoving by the end of January. Is it safe to rent a room until I get settled? I would appreciate any feedback.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 06:54 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,978,848 times
I think the answer to most of your questions are "it depends" and "maybe".

Charlotte and the towns around it have plenty of entertainment and shopping options but it is best to have a car. It's been discussed on here several times that you CAN live in Charlotte without a car, but the transportation is not comparable to Chicago.

From a practical point of view, you'd be limiting yourself to living within about 4 miles of uptown. Farther than that, and bus-only travel quickly becomes a time consuming hassle. Charlotte's bus system mostly converges in uptown where you'd transfer to other busses. It's better than the other cities in NC - but most of the people who rely on it don't do so by choice, they accept it as a means of economizing.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_CLT View Post
I think the answer to most of your questions are "it depends" and "maybe".

Charlotte and the towns around it have plenty of entertainment and shopping options but it is best to have a car. It's been discussed on here several times that you CAN live in Charlotte without a car, but the transportation is not comparable to Chicago.

From a practical point of view, you'd be limiting yourself to living within about 4 miles of uptown. Farther than that, and bus-only travel quickly becomes a time consuming hassle. Charlotte's bus system mostly converges in uptown where you'd transfer to other busses. It's better than the other cities in NC - but most of the people who rely on it don't do so by choice, they accept it as a means of economizing.
Thanks for the feedback. It helped alot. I do plan on purchasing a car at some point after the move. I guess I could stay within that range for the first 6 months and then hopefully after the purchase I can start to broaden my horizons.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:12 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
I would disagree with the above post. I moved from NYC where I happily lived car free for 10 years. When I moved to CLT, I chose to not have a car and use public transportation. As someone who uses public transportation as a lifestyle choice, I can tell you that CLT's system is actually fairly decent. True, it's not as vast as NYC or Chicago, but it's adequate. It's better than cities like Atlanta.

I've been able to live a decent life without a car and I have access to work, library, post office, grocery shopping, movie theaters, etc. Places like Wal-Mart and Target are on bus lines. I think the key is to actually live in CLT and not out in the suburbs.

As for work, you mentioned banking. Two of the largest US banks are based in Charlotte. Look for jobs at Bank of America or Wells Fargo.

Last edited by charlygal; 12-18-2013 at 09:18 PM..

Old 12-18-2013, 08:41 PM

Hmmm. I love your response. Thanks. I had planned on living in the city rather than the burbs. But I haven't actually did a search for apartments/condo's/ townhomes yet. That was on my to do list. Your imput will help me narrow my search. Can you give any insight to the cost of living? Just how affordable vs pay is Charlotte? You can not live in LA Ca without a roommate unless you are a celebrity. Because the cost of living is so much higher than the average pay scale. Chicago has the potential to become the same, what about Charlotte?
Thanks

Old 12-18-2013, 09:30 PM

I work in banking. My salary is comparable to what I was making in NYC. You can find salaries similar to what you earned in Chicago. The key is to find the job that has the salary you want.

For housing, it all depends on your needs and your price range. I'm paying less than what I was paying in NYC and I have a place that is 3 times as large.

If you want something in areas with bus service, look for places in Uptown, Dilworth, Elizabeth, Myers Parks, Plaza Midwood, or South End. Get to know some of the zip codes and search by those.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I work in banking. My salary is comparable to what I was making in NYC. You can find salaries similar to what you earned in Chicago. The key is to find the job that has the salary you want.

For housing, it all depends on your needs and your price range. I'm paying less than what I was paying in NYC and I have a place that is 3 times as large.

If you want something in areas with bus service, look for places in Uptown, Dilworth, Elizabeth, Myers Parks, Plaza Midwood, or South End. Get to know some of the zip codes and search by those.
You are the greatest!
THANKS

Old 12-19-2013, 06:15 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,148,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
With the exception of Plaza Midwood, and maybe South End, don't expect to find much diversity from that list.

Old 12-19-2013, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfalz View Post
With the exception of Plaza Midwood, and maybe South End, don't expect to find much diversity from that list.
Are you referring to racial/ethnic diversity? I live in Uptown and I have African-American, Latino and White neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte