U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 02:05 PM

2 posts, read 4,025 times

Advertisements

Hello all. Me and my wife are considering on moving to the Charlotte area, but we are not well-to-do. She is the only one employed and that is a work-from-home job. I have tried to get a job the past 4 yrs but haven't found any, it doesn't help that I am sick or hurting all the time but I can pretty-much take care of myself. Both of us are in our upper 30's and looking to finally settle down permanently. We have no children and only two special needs cats.

1. Budget: up to $600 max, would prefer $500
2. House/Condo/Townhome? Any as long as it is 2 bed 2 bath
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) Like I said, I am currently unemployed but trying to get a sit down job, wouldn't mind a leasor position, she is Telecommuting.
4. Children(public school vs. private) None, nope, nada, zilch..
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two: Doesnt matter so long as the access to major shopping areas and through-fares are easy to get too.
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? As long as major through-fares are easy to get to, public transportation is not a problem.
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. less crime the better. Less noise would be a plus.

Overall we are moving from Texas to be closer to her family in GA, but Not IN GA. We have hit some rough times the past four yrs but we are trying to live, survive, and prosper. WE want to be close to everything yet not fear for our lives with a high cost apartment or a crime ridden neighborhood. Basically, we just want a chance....Know of any place or anyone that might be willing to help us?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 02:28 PM

29 posts, read 52,044 times
For $600 per month IN Charlotte...the BEST that I know of is the apartment complex called "the chimneys" which is near Cotswold (a great area).

Here's the web site link to the apartment complex:

Lerner Residential

The other option is you can try to find a house to rent for $600...I think that you MIGHT be able to find one...and for that, check out pad mapper.com.

Old 12-14-2013, 05:56 PM

14,584 posts, read 11,133,042 times
2 special needs cats? Interesting.

$500 to $600 is hood territory. You may be able to find a decent place in university but you would have to deal with college kids and petty crime.

Texas is probably cheaper than Charlotte. Good luck.

Old 12-14-2013, 07:34 PM

124 posts, read 219,555 times
In that price range you would have the most luck in a small town outside of Charlotte called Kannapolis. Commute to Charlotte would be about 20 minutes and I think it matches well with the things you want, the most important factor being affordability.

Old 12-14-2013, 08:39 PM

373 posts, read 727,857 times
Traveling such a distance without a job lined up is a bad idea.
This goes for anywhere, not just Charlotte.
Charlotte has been hit hard by the bad economy and there are thousands of people competing for every job you would apply for.

I know about hard times.
May I suggest exhausting every possible resource.
Family and friends who can get you a job.
Consider 3rd shift jobs, waiting tables, bar-tending, city jobs, security jobs.
Work several part time jobs at one time.
Look into the Oil industry in North Dakota.
There is an oil boom out there and they are always hiring, but housing is limited to say the least.

Hang in there.
You can get through it, but not without hard work and sacrifice.
Whatever you have to give up to get yourself on your feet, do it.
The worst position you could put yourself in is that one or more years go by and you are in the exact same situation.

Old 12-14-2013, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesecracker View Post
Traveling such a distance without a job lined up is a bad idea.
This goes for anywhere, not just Charlotte.
Charlotte has been hit hard by the bad economy and there are thousands of people competing for every job you would apply for.

I know about hard times.
May I suggest exhausting every possible resource.
Family and friends who can get you a job.
Consider 3rd shift jobs, waiting tables, bar-tending, city jobs, security jobs.
Work several part time jobs at one time.
Look into the Oil industry in North Dakota.
There is an oil boom out there and they are always hiring, but housing is limited to say the least.

Hang in there.
You can get through it, but not without hard work and sacrifice.
Whatever you have to give up to get yourself on your feet, do it.
The worst position you could put yourself in is that one or more years go by and you are in the exact same situation.
He said he was sick and hurting all the time. Oil industry isnt realistic unless its a desk job.

Old 12-14-2013, 11:37 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,741,256 times
Sometimes on these threads we will point out that if you accept an old complex, or live near an industrial area, there are cheaper options than the "popular" neighborhoods. But I don't think $500 would get an apartment of any size in Charlotte. Even room rentals are about $400 on Craigslist.

Old 12-15-2013, 01:14 AM

1,445 posts, read 2,123,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesecracker View Post
This is just getting annoying now, to be honest. This isn't 2009. Charlotte has the 4th highest amount of available jobs per capita in the country.

Old 12-15-2013, 08:26 AM

7,672 posts, read 11,608,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austincool View Post
This is just getting annoying now, to be honest. This isn't 2009. Charlotte has the 4th highest amount of available jobs per capita in the country.
And competition is fierce for those jobs. It isn't as dire as some said but it isn't the land of plenty either.

Old 12-15-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austincool View Post
What is annoying is the oil field suggestion when people ask about jobs in Charlotte. I know its a popular topic on conservative radio and TV but c'mon.... the OP wants a desk job in Charlotte. I don't have any leads but a call center job is more realistic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte