Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2014, 09:25 PM

115 posts, read 229,253 times

Advertisements

Well, I got a speeding ticket the other night in Mecklenburg county on Providence Rd, just north of Weddington. The ticket is for doing 64 in a 45 mph zone. I'm usually careful not to speed, but I was exhausted and had to get home to put a child to sleep who wouldn't go to sleep for her dad (my daughter has autism). Dad was very stressed, so it made me stressed. So I rushed, and was stopped. Now I'm gettimg around 4 letters per day from attorneys wanting to represent me. The officer told me I had to go to Court (which I was not aware was required at all until he mentioned it.) I thought, no big deal...I'll just mail the fine. Okay, now I'm getting nervous because of these attorneys trying to represent me. How big of a deal is this? What will my consequences be? Points? I have never had points on my license before. Finally, should I actually hire a lawyer to represent me. The officer did mention that I was going to District Court where the speed would probably be reduced. I'm completely unfamiliar with this entire process. I would appreciate and insight and pointers. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 03:27 AM

189 posts, read 326,978 times
It'll cost you around 400-500 bucks, but if you hire the attorney you won't have to go to court and the odds are you won't get any points because the lawyer will get it reduced. If you don't hire the attorney, then yes you go to court, you pay the fine and you make the case to have it reduced. If you don't get it reduced and get points though, your insurance might go up.

I hate to admit this, but my "better half" frequently has this problem. We always just pick one of the attorney's that sends us mail. It's not a big deal, don't panic.

Old 03-14-2014, 06:21 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,213,226 times
Just mailing in the fine will KILL your insurance rates. You were going fast enough to warrant 2-3 points on your license. For that I would expect an increase in insurance premiums of around $4,000 over the next 3 years.

Get a lawyer and do traffic school.

I recommend Ben Franklin
Charlotte Traffic Law | Law Office Of Benjamin Franklin Jr. Charlotte Lawyer
704-935-4333

Old 03-14-2014, 02:01 PM

564 posts, read 1,454,604 times
We have several company vehicles that do tons of driving. We do get tickets maybe 2 or 3 a year. We always use an attorney. It never cost us anymore then what it would have cost if we just paid the fine. We have never had a speeding ticket that was not dismissed

Old 03-14-2014, 05:49 PM

531 posts, read 1,079,702 times
Please use attorney... A friend of mine got a ticket in SC and paid it. well, she got a letter for license suspension and then finally she figured she needs an attorney. The first advise from the attorney was to get a attorney before paying ....

Old 03-15-2014, 08:45 AM

123 posts, read 328,723 times
Default ticket

You will get a bunch of letters from traffic lawyers advertising their services, hire one and you will just write a check and it goes away. My son has had 3 tickets, , and has beat them all. It costs around $300 but your better off than paying an insurance premium increase. Good luck and don't stress, but be careful, speeding traps are popping up all over.

Old 03-16-2014, 02:46 PM

128 posts, read 242,446 times
Don't just pay the ticket off. It will cause suspension to your license. You can either hire an attorney or go to court and talk to the DA, who will offer a resolution besides just plead as charged. The results are usually similar if you have a currently clean driving record. It's more about spending four hours at the courthouse vs. paying someone to represent you.

Old 03-16-2014, 03:21 PM

398 posts, read 984,670 times
First of all, don't panic.

Secondly, hire a lawyer - most should be able to get the speed reduced and take care of it without you having to visit the lawyer or court at all. Will cost about $400ish, however. I strongly recommend this approach.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte