Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 05:33 PM

37 posts, read 67,736 times

Advertisements

We live in the Cheshunt subdivision (near Davis Lake) and have recently had a new neighbor move in that has TOTALLY destroyed the look of our community with the piles of junk they have accumulated outside their home. I'm talking truckloads! Its a nice diverse, middle class neighborhood where everyone takes pride in their homes. This resident is totally destroying our look. I know neighbors directly adjacent to this house have addressed with them but to no avail.

My question is since the HOA is non-existent (they say their covenants aren't enforceable since they don't have a majority vote of the community) what recourse does one have to get the city, state level HOA (if one exists) or other entity to help rectify and force this residence to clean this mess up. Will calling 311 help? Looking for help on this.

Second question now that I'm thinking of it....this HOA is taking our money to keep up the pool, common areas etc., but can't enforce their covenants of property cleanliness etc. I thought one of the charters of HOA was to help residences keep property values up by creating/enforcing covenants that help ensure our property values don't degrade. I don't mind the payments, but I do mind the lack of enforcement. Who do we address to question our HOA and ensure they are holding up their end of the deal.

Thanks in advance...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 06:13 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
311 can definitely help. Call them. Or hit the website and file a complaint that way. If you can discreetly take pics, do that too.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:07 PM

1 posts, read 3,190 times
I also live in the #Cheshunt Community and have also addressed each and every one of the #HOA Board members on a similar matter only to receive a response of "well, if you can't see knee high grass from the street", and "I can't see it right now". Be it known, several dated pictures were sent of the house in question along with a very descript email to ALL of the board members, but I only received a ridiculous response from one person who was too lazy to get out of his car to inspect the damage and then told me to contact the city! WHAT???! The board are just as much of a disgrace to our community as the people who are making it look bad. Board members want a title to sit at our community pool and give orders while they drink beer and sip their afternoon tatties while enjoying their talks with the lifeguards enjoying their "adult swims" while ALL the kids have to get out and sit and watch. We spend money on lifeguards? Reallly? Who the heck are they saving because I know I'm watching my kids like a hawk along with every other mom out there! Oh, maybe they are watching the Board to ensure they don't drown from all the alcohol they are consuming at the pool. Asinine! Just one of many. What is the deal mod cut: refrain from consumer complaints please who takes our money every month??? I shouldn't have to drive through the tasteless acts of others trash to get to the light at the end of the tunnel. SMH in disgust. FIX IT!

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 12-17-2013 at 10:51 PM..

Old 12-18-2013, 06:12 AM

2,773 posts, read 5,159,064 times
I know many here complain about strong HOA's, I for one prefer them since I hate the situation created by one "bad apple".

I think couple of neighbors should get together and come up with a plan - a multi signature letter, meeting with officials & to different departments carries more weight than just one personal complain.
Wish you good luck!

Old 12-18-2013, 06:21 AM

1,508 posts, read 2,977,206 times
If the board is that lazy exercising their supervision of the community, they probably are lazy campaigners. Get some other people together to run for the seats, and go door knocking. Put some new blood on the board.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:02 AM

140 posts, read 239,012 times
Junk in the yard is a violation of city code. Call 311. They are usually surprisingly quick to send out an enforcement officer.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:34 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,830,787 times
Go to the next HOA meeting and demand action or a resignation. If the HOA was put in place by the original developer, they certainly should be able to enforce the rules. Also call 311 and ask to speak to someone in Code Enforcement. They will come out in a few days and take a picture of any violations and send a letter demanding that the violations be corrected within 10, I think, and if not corrected, they will hire the work out and bill the property owner.

And get rid of the bums on the HOA board.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:50 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,207,489 times
Hey guys.... I have an IDEA!

If your HOA Board sucks and won't enforce the covenants as they are required to by law, replace them and get on the board.

You need to be nominated for the next meeting to join the board and maybe grab another friend or two to join. To do so go around the neighborhood stating your case, maybe with a flyer and get people to sign their proxy votes over to you for the election if they aren't planning on attending the annual meeting.

Easy peasy....

Old 12-18-2013, 08:54 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky37167 View Post
We live in the Cheshunt subdivision (near Davis Lake) and have recently had a new neighbor move in that has TOTALLY destroyed the look of our community with the piles of junk they have accumulated outside their home. I'm talking truckloads! Its a nice diverse, middle class neighborhood where everyone takes pride in their homes. This resident is totally destroying our look. I know neighbors directly adjacent to this house have addressed with them but to no avail.

My question is since the HOA is non-existent (they say their covenants aren't enforceable since they don't have a majority vote of the community) what recourse does one have to get the city, state level HOA (if one exists) or other entity to help rectify and force this residence to clean this mess up. Will calling 311 help? Looking for help on this.

Second question now that I'm thinking of it....this HOA is taking our money to keep up the pool, common areas etc., but can't enforce their covenants of property cleanliness etc. I thought one of the charters of HOA was to help residences keep property values up by creating/enforcing covenants that help ensure our property values don't degrade. I don't mind the payments, but I do mind the lack of enforcement. Who do we address to question our HOA and ensure they are holding up their end of the deal.

Thanks in advance...
First of all you need to read the by-laws of your HOA to determine, specifically what their enforcement capabilities are. Secondly, you need to request that they call a meeting of all of the active members of the HOA in order to call for a vote to enforce the CC&Rs. If they refuse to do that, based upon the by-laws, you may have the legal right to bring a lawsuit against the HOA for failure to enforce. In the alternative, if you determine that they do not have the legal authority to call for action against the violators, then most likely YOU have the right to bring a lawsuit against the offending neighbor yourself.

An attorney that deals with real estate matters can advise you.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-18-2013, 09:16 AM

310 posts, read 672,367 times
And this is why living in city limits sucks. *YOUR OWN PRIVATE PROPERTY* is not really yours and you can't do whatever the heck you want to it or with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte