Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 11:19 PM

23,816 posts, read 34,854,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmond123 View Post
Hi All,

I am relocating to Charlotte because of a job change. I would be working in west Charlotte area. After reading wonderful posts, I assume west is not a great place to live with family. i have a 4 year old kid who goes to a preschool and later this year would go to Pre-K. I am looking for an apartment where I can get both good preschool for now and a good rated elementary school for later. I am most concerned about schooling and a safe place.

Bellantyne and Fort mill , both are approx. 14-15 miles from my office and hence can consider any of these area. Please help me finalizing a good area.
Look at the areas in Gaston County zoned for Stuart Cramer HS. That is the best cluster of schools in the county. It includes parts of Belmont & Mt Holly & the town of Cramerton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2013, 09:29 AM

18 posts, read 32,225 times
As of now with the help of very nice people from the forum, I got lots of answers. But I still need help in finalizing.

- Bellantyne :

Pros : Seems to be a very good area spl for families with school going kids.
Cons : Lots of Traffic and and it will take atleast 45 mins to reach my office from here. ( Plz correct me if i am wrong)

- Fort Mill

Similar to Bellantyne. But again commute would be atleast 30 mins.

- Steele Creek

Pros : very good reviews on CD. near to my office.
Cons : in West so not sure about safety. Not sure about schools as well.

Old 12-24-2013, 10:08 AM

1,508 posts, read 2,992,682 times
maps.google.com will help you understand where these places are. Honestly depending on where in Ballantyne or Fort Mill you're considering, they could both be about the same distance to drive into west Charlotte.

Steele Creek once referred to a specific neighborhood in southwest Charlotte, but people now tend to say that to mean anywhere on south Tryon beyond 485.

I would advise scheduling several days before you move to drive around the area and explore neighbohoods. Try driving during morning and afternoon traffic. Get a sense for what you're willing to tolerate in terms of distance and delays.

Old 12-24-2013, 10:58 AM

37,943 posts, read 42,292,211 times
Quote:
As of now with the help of very nice people from the forum, I got lots of answers. But I still need help in finalizing.

- Bellantyne :

Pros : Seems to be a very good area spl for families with school going kids.
Cons : Lots of Traffic and and it will take atleast 45 mins to reach my office from here. ( Plz correct me if i am wrong)

- Fort Mill

Similar to Bellantyne. But again commute would be atleast 30 mins.

- Steele Creek

Pros : very good reviews on CD. near to my office.
Cons : in West so not sure about safety. Not sure about schools as well.
Steele Creek is southwest Charlotte, not west Charlotte; they are different. And the schools in that area are pretty solid.

Do more research on the area; I think it satisfies your criteria and is closer to your work.

Old 12-24-2013, 11:50 AM

Thanks Sean. I will definitely plan to visit Charlotte before I move there.

Thanks Mutini77 --- I am seriously considering Steele creek area. Can you recommend some good apartment complex in that area ?

Old 12-24-2013, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Thanks Sean. I will definitely plan to visit Charlotte before I move there.

Thanks Mutini77 --- I am seriously considering Steele creek area. Can you recommend some good apartment complex in that area ?
I didn't live in Steele Creek when I resided in Charlotte, but I wasn't too far away (actually used to live right down the road from where you'll be working) and had friends that did. There are a couple of new complexes that are worth checking out, like Enclave at Rivergate, the Preserve at Steele Creek, and the Landings at Steele Creek. I'd probably check out the Enclave at Rivergate first since it's just down the road from the Rivergate shopping complex; the Preserve and the Landings are a bit isolated right now, since they are right off an industrial thoroughfare (Westinghouse Blvd); however, with the outlet shops coming a few miles away off I-485, I'd expect more amenities to pop up within close proximity.

Old 12-24-2013, 02:10 PM

Thanks Mutiny. Jus out of curiosity - Which place near my office, you used stay ?

Old 12-24-2013, 03:44 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,306,012 times
I don't know what your budget is, but I know a number of people who live in South Charlotte (around Olde Providence and Candlwyk) who commute to this area. It takes about 1/2 hour and the schools in this part of Charlotte are excellent.

Old 12-24-2013, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Thanks Mutiny. Jus out of curiosity - Which place near my office, you used stay ?
The Pointe apartments.

Old 12-25-2013, 07:55 AM

Thanks everyone. Now I am almost certain that Steele creek area would work best for me.
Enclave at Rivergate suggested by Mutiny77 seems to be a real good option.

Another apartment suggested to me is - Tyvola Centre, 625 Cameron Walk Court, Charlotte, NC 28217

Please advice any other apartment complex in this area., spl. apartments near to good preschools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte