Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 03:35 PM

44 posts, read 111,090 times

Advertisements

I am a teacher, and I've taught in the Ballantyne area for the past 12 years. So I know the schools there are very good. That said, I live in Fort Mill (29708 side), and if I had kids, I would definitely send them to school in Fort Mill before Charlotte. CMS (the school district in Charlotte) has some issues, to say the least!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2013, 06:55 PM

18 posts, read 32,133 times
Thanks Janedoe. Actually my kid is 4 years old ( Nov birth) and still would be going to pre-school for 2 years. So i am just thinking that I should worry about school district at least 1 year down the line. For now, I plan to stay near office ( near airport). After reading this forum, Steele creek seems good for all aspects. Hope I am taking the right step but if you think otherwise then please do advice/

Old 12-26-2013, 08:03 AM

137 posts, read 386,428 times
I would advise you (if you plan on buying a house) to get your footing in Charlotte first.
Don't just buy something, rent for at least a year or two, until you know the area, and can comfortably decide on which area YOU like the most.

Try to go for places that allow you to rent with a minimum 3-6 month lease. You'll need it. Everyone's experience is not going to be yours. And we all have different tastes to what we like and don't like.
With that said there are some good apartment complexes in the the 28217 area, and for anyone working 8-5 or 9-5 I would consider that my 1st option. And on the weekends explore driving around to other areas and getting my bearing straight. There is a huge contrast between 28217 (where you are going to be working) and and FORTMILL And BALLANTYNE as far as commute/living/working. This is like Living in Bay Shore or Suffolk county and commuting to Brooklyn! Not to mention the time during rush hour traffic it will take you to reach home. People here are SLOW drivers, and they don't know how to drive properly. You will pullout ur hair out trying to get anywhere after 5 on the roads. You're not getting anywhere in under 30 minutes on the highways out here, unless you STEP on it, all while dodging the slow and old with both hands on the wheel sitting IN the window...LMAO! And they are ticket heavy here. If there is no traffic, and people are all @ work, it's a breeze to get anywhere, when the slow and new drivers are off the roads.

When I first moved here, I lived on N. Wendover Rd. and worked off of S. Tryon st @ Sprint. BTW, renting an apartment online sight unseen is a NO-NO! lol. (we won't even go there).
That commute was crazy and a gas guzzler. Not to mention I didn't know many ways to get around. A new friend rode my with me in my car a few nights in the area to show me what streets go where and how they change names, etc. We went all over and I thought it was a maze and I would get lost. It was the most helpful thing that someone ever did for me in a new city.
Since you're going to be working in 28217, I listed the areas that you need to explore living and X out any other place, since you are a new resident!

Apartment Ratings in 28217 - http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate...0&sort=DEFAULT
Apartment Ratings in 28273 - http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate...0&sort=DEFAULT

Rent in these areas for a while, until you get your bearings. You'll thank me.

And a native could not point out the contrast? I've only been here since April 2011.You'll have to be better than this.

Last edited by Gemini365i; 12-26-2013 at 08:31 AM..

Old 12-27-2013, 07:01 AM

Thanks Gemini. Thanks alot for taking your time out and suggesting me the most practical areas to live. I looked at the zip 28117 - Some good apartments like - Tyvola Centre Apartment Homes . But I cant find good preschools near by. Do we have preschools in this area ?? Any suggestions for an apartment complex with some good preschools nearby.

Old 12-31-2013, 07:43 PM

Please suggest some good apartment complexes in these Zip codes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte