Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 08:09 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,180,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauralaylin View Post
Does anyone have any actual information, or is this all just hearsay and rumors? Seriously asking, not trying to be snarky here.
I second that question. Cutting a large swath out of Cuthbertson's attendance area so far away from Parkwood doesn't seem logical and will only cost more in transportation dollars.

Old 09-18-2013, 05:52 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,425,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-LI View Post
Before Cuthbertson was built, neighborhoods along New Town as far as New Towne Village were assigned to Weddington High School.
Neighborhoods down New Town to Billy Howie and from Billy Howie back to Mineral Springs went to Parkwood. I know serveral people that lived in that area that are Parkwood graduates.

Old 09-18-2013, 06:12 PM

Quote:
I second that question. Cutting a large swath out of Cuthbertson's attendance area so far away from Parkwood doesn't seem logical and will only cost more in transportation dollars.
The issue isn't so much Cuthbertson as it is New Town and Kennsington. Both are busting open. Western Union, like Parkwood is underutlized. It would make sense to shift those kids closest to WU to go there then put them in the Parkwood cluster. It doesn't matter how close someone lives to a particular school. Lots of people live closer to Wesley Chapel but go to New Town or Western Union. Lots of people live closer to Weddington MS and HS and have to go to Cuthbertson.

Keep in mind that Cureton, Lawson, Millbridge and Hollister are now building out again. Somewhere around 200-300 houses along with the new neighborhood going in on Hwy 16. That's going to add to the mix and there's no place to send those kids except New Town or Kennsington (maybe Waxhaw or Rea View). With that on the horizon and no real plan to build another elementary school, redistricting is next real probability.

Old 09-18-2013, 08:44 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,180,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlat View Post
Neighborhoods down New Town to Billy Howie and from Billy Howie back to Mineral Springs went to Parkwood. I know serveral people that lived in that area that are Parkwood graduates.
Did they graduate before Weddington High School opened?

Old 09-19-2013, 06:53 AM

238 posts, read 567,580 times
You can't move people who paid premium prices for their homes to be in a good school district, to a poor school. Housing values will plummet. Houses near the Parkwood district are cheap, that's because Parkwood is rated 3! I would raise hell if they moved my kids to a poor school. I pay higher taxes and paid more for my home because it was zoned to a top school.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:16 AM

1,076 posts, read 2,367,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCbound01 View Post
You can't move people who paid premium prices for their homes to be in a good school district, to a poor school. Housing values will plummet. Houses near the Parkwood district are cheap, that's because Parkwood is rated 3! I would raise hell if they moved my kids to a poor school. I pay higher taxes and paid more for my home because it was zoned to a top school.

Agreed. I have different thoughts on this topic as a whole. Granted, parkwood would probably improve their numbers as a higher income demographic was pulled into that school. If you look at UCPS attendance map, Parkwood has the largest district. I understand that its a more rural area but its double and triple times the size of Cuthbertson's and Marvin's district.

My husband thought of a fantastic solution. Why not move some of the neighborhoods bordering on the Marvin area from Kensington to Sandy Ridge or Rea View. I hear people saying this is an elementary school problem so maybe that would help some. BUT if it is a MS/HS issue, then lets broaden the district that attends Marvin MS and HS to include more of the town of Waxhaw, and then redistribute if we are still overcrowded between Cuthbertson and Parkwood. Or move some of Weddingtons boarders around. If you look at the school district sizes, it unbelievable how much larger Waxhaw ES and Parkwood MS/HS district is in comparison. Otherwise UCPS board better be ready for backlash. I know my husband and I will not go down without a fight. I still don't want to get worked up over something there is absolutely no proof of, but we will be ready to fight them tooth and nail if they think we moved to a certain area based on schools and would be willing to tuck our tail between our legs and accept it.

Old 09-19-2013, 02:03 PM

238 posts, read 567,580 times
The kicker is Parkwood schools are no where near capacity. They have the biggest area but apparently are empty.

I will refrain from wasting energy on this until there is some concrete proof this will happen. I will fight this tooth and nail and I know my neighbors will as well.

Old 09-19-2013, 02:11 PM

161 posts, read 305,079 times
My kids attend Weddington and we were amazed at how in just one month 100 new families registered for school. Not sure how long we can go without adding additional schools. Why is Parkwood so "empty"?

Old 09-19-2013, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Did they graduate before Weddington High School opened?
Nope, Weddington was open, New Town Village was not built yet. One was an employee of mine that lived in the stretch of Billy Howie between New Town and Waxhaw Indian Trail and the other one, a relative, lived in the Black Oak neighborhood (in front of where Briarcrest and Tuscany now) down Billy Howie just a bit. The boundary line was Billy Howie.

Old 09-19-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinlp View Post
My kids attend Weddington and we were amazed at how in just one month 100 new families registered for school. Not sure how long we can go without adding additional schools. Why is Parkwood so "empty"?
The same with Cuthbertson MS, there were at least 75 opening day registrations that I am aware of. Parkwood is empty because there's been little to none development in the county over the last 10 years except in the Hwy16 corridor. 95% of Union County is still very much rural. Until Weddington HS was built, almost all the kids on the western part of the county went to Parkwood. But with the population boom of the west side and 3 new High Schools that went online, it really reduced the amount of kids going to Parkwood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte