U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2014, 02:21 PM

18 posts, read 38,600 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am looking to possibly move back to North Carolina with my family. I lived in Hickory for a few years when I was a teen. I love the state! I love how the mountains and the beach are in a days drive of where you may live.

Currently my husband and I, along with our two daughters live in the cold state of Wisconsin. We live in a really nice suburb of Milwaukee, and are pretty much looking for the same type of city in North Carolina. What we like about the city we live in is that it has a good school system, has a nice downtown area, has bike/walking trails, Ymca, swimming area, parks, movie theater, restaurants, grocery stores, ect. It is a safe area, with little crime, and also has an active downtown area in the summer with a wonderful farmers market. So needless to say we are looking for something similar around the Charlotte area if there is such a place.

Can anyone offer suggestions of places we should look into?? Thank you in advace for your help!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 07:00 PM

489 posts, read 779,585 times
Definitely Huntersville/Cornelius/Davidson area. A couple of movie theaters between them, small downtowns (not really vibrant, but Davidson's is enjoyable), YMCA in Cornelius, right by Lake Wylie, and schools are decent.

Union County (Waxhaw, Weddington) is alright. Good school system, close to Piper Glen and Ballantyne area's in Charlotte (movies and such). YMCA somewhere around there.

Also Matthews (has the best downtown of any suburbs of Charlotte imo, except maybe Rock Hill SC), Fort Mill SC, Belmont, Concord (I personally don't care for Concord as it is a little too country).

This is just how I rank them in order. I don't know if any suburb would have everything that you would be looking for, but nothing would be more than a short drive if not.

Also, further out would be places like Salisbury, Gastonia, and Mooresville. I'm really not too familiar with those area's, though.

Old 01-08-2014, 07:33 PM
cpw

85 posts, read 137,054 times
Ballantyne/Blakeney

What is your price point?

Old 01-09-2014, 06:28 AM

186 posts, read 243,731 times
Do you need to go to Uptown often? What's your budget? Rent or buy? Need to be close to jobs?

Without knowing the answers to those questions, I'd suggest Union County, Ballantyne, and Matthews

Old 01-09-2014, 06:32 AM

328 posts, read 551,555 times
I recommend looking into Concord. I hear what the poster above is saying about it leaning on the rural side, but it has rapidly changed in the past few years. Overall, it is a safe suburb of Charlotte (right on the line) with a lot of beautiful parks and neighborhoods. The downtown area is historic and revitalized, with shops and restaurants, galleries and more than one theater. Some downtowns feel stuck in time, but Concord has managed to maintain the historical integrity of its main street while keeping it viable at the same time. My favorite park in Concord is Frank Liske, which is large and hilly and green, and the 4 mile greenway that loops near downtown is a great spot as well.

Concord is great because it is affordable and conveniently located to Charlotte's resources. Along its CLT line is the Speedway Blvd area, which has a huge outlet mall, speedway, and tons of chain restaurants and shopping. If that's your thing, then great. If not, you can definitely live in Concord and avoid this popular strip. It all depends on what you're looking for.

Anyway, just my two cents. Good luck!

Old 01-09-2014, 11:42 AM

18 posts, read 38,600 times
Thank you everyone for your opinions on the burbs around Charlotte! I greatly appreciate the information you all have provided.

To answer your questions Energee...we would like to buy a house, and our price point would be around $200,000 max. We would both need to find jobs, so either in the area we live in, surrounding areas or Charlotte. We are both in the banking field, so I don't foresee finding a job all that difficult, but you never know.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:20 AM

186 posts, read 243,731 times
Hmm...finding a job is really going to determine where you can live. You probably have two locations for jobs: Uptown or Ballantyne. If you're working in uptown, my recommendations of Ballantyne and Matthews still stand. If you're working in Ballantyne, you could go further down into Union County. The further away to get from Uptown, the more house you can get for the money. There are pockets of neighborhoods in all suburbs that have nice 3-4 br homes for $200,000. Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte