Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 03:29 PM

14 posts, read 37,872 times

Advertisements

If my husband and I are blessed enough to be moved by his job to NC (we're praying!), we are looking along the NC/SC border for housing. He would be working near S. Tryon/Arrowood area of Charlotte, so we can't live too far out - but he prefers more space and forest-views. Our family/church is all in Gastonia.

My husband's stipulations for housing are difficult to peg a subdivision/or lot to build on in any given area. We are not rich. If we were rich, this would be a cake-walk.

*NO HOA - - - - this is a firm line
*Larger lot than .7 acre
*Lot to build on / or newer home than 1970's
*No waterfront (where we'd have to have waterfront insurance, etc.)

See my dilemma? Where does one find all the things my husband wants? We are looking in the general directions of:

West: No further than/close to Union Road - SC and NC
North: No further North than Lowell/Mt. Holly area
East: No further East than 485 and Steele Creek Road
South: No further South than Fort Mill /Tega Cay/ NE Clover

I don't know that such a property or land to build-on exists in our budget and parameters. If we were to buy a home, he was thinking max $225........ so I think that building a home would be out of our league with all the stipulations above on land size and no HOA. We would LOVE to live in SC, as the taxes are lower and school ratings are better - but finding the right property/land might be more important.

If anyone has any ideas or locations to point me to, please help!! Other than run of the mill home search and MLS sites, I am out of my league and don't know what to do

Appreciate any advice that is helpful!
**Reposted on SC board for maximum exposure of help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 09:34 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,156,422 times
http://goo.gl/FBr1i

Old 01-22-2014, 12:12 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,255,549 times
I don't think that's fantasyland, other than maybe the brand new construction part which OP seemed to already realize.

But that really isn't that many requirements, although you will certainly have more options if you expand the search area a bit...Rock Hill for example still wouldn't be a bad commute to that area. I am a bit confused by the eastern boundary you listed - isn't 485 & Steele Creek Rd. to the west of the work location?

Doing a quick search here a couple I see although may be a bit outside your current boundaries - 604 Pondway Downs in Rock Hill and a couple new home listings on Tom Joye Rd. in Clover.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I don't think that's fantasyland, other than maybe the brand new construction part which OP seemed to already realize.

But that really isn't that many requirements, although you will certainly have more options if you expand the search area a bit...Rock Hill for example still wouldn't be a bad commute to that area. I am a bit confused by the eastern boundary you listed - isn't 485 & Steele Creek Rd. to the west of the work location?

Doing a quick search here a couple I see although may be a bit outside your current boundaries - 604 Pondway Downs in Rock Hill and a couple new home listings on Tom Joye Rd. in Clover.

Thank you GoPhils, clearly Ex-Li thought they were being funny, but I thought it a bit rude. My husband and I are young first time home buyers in this situation, and know nothing about the system or what to do..... so kind helpfulness goes a lot further than sarcastic ridicule.

The reason for the East boundary, is that I have lived in Charlotte before and didn't care for the areas closest to West Charlotte - the traffic is horrendous as it's mostly business. What housing there is around there seems to be a higher crime rate/lower class area.
The further we are into Charlotte or further South.... yeah, his work commute might be ok - but our connection to family/church/ my Doctors in the Gastonia area, would be too far away. Being near to them with my medical issues is as important as his commute.

Thanks for your input and I am hoping to find more input. We might be able to afford a little more, or even get an older house (I am personally terrified of a money-pit new construction). But what I am REALLY after is pegging down non-HOA subdivisions. That way if there is an empty lot even in an older one, I have something in the right direction to work with!

Old 01-22-2014, 08:36 AM

284 posts, read 602,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenmellybee View Post
Thank you GoPhils, clearly Ex-Li thought they were being funny, but I thought it a bit rude. My husband and I are young first time home buyers in this situation, and know nothing about the system or what to do..... so kind helpfulness goes a lot further than sarcastic ridicule.

The reason for the East boundary, is that I have lived in Charlotte before and didn't care for the areas closest to West Charlotte - the traffic is horrendous as it's mostly business. What housing there is around there seems to be a higher crime rate/lower class area.
The further we are into Charlotte or further South.... yeah, his work commute might be ok - but our connection to family/church/ my Doctors in the Gastonia area, would be too far away. Being near to them with my medical issues is as important as his commute.

Thanks for your input and I am hoping to find more input. We might be able to afford a little more, or even get an older house (I am personally terrified of a money-pit new construction). But what I am REALLY after is pegging down non-HOA subdivisions. That way if there is an empty lot even in an older one, I have something in the right direction to work with!
Queenmellybee, I think that could be reasonable if you look in the Rock Hill/Clover areas based on some simple searches, although I have limited knowledge of the area overall. My two cents is that you should definitely contact a buyer's agent, letting them know that the move is not yet definite but you are trying to get an idea of what's available and meets your requirements. Then you can do some browsing from afar, and when things get nailed down in terms of his job you can come see your favorites in person. We have moved long-distance twice and that method worked well for us to find something that met our requirements. Best of luck to you and hope it all works out!

Old 01-22-2014, 08:53 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,726,602 times
Have you considered just staying in Gastonia? If you are considering Rock Hill/Clover/Mount Holly as suggestions mentioned, the commute would be the same according to the google maps. Maybe the area between Gastonia and Belmont might fit your criteria?

Old 01-22-2014, 11:18 AM

23,809 posts, read 34,440,425 times
Quote:
If my husband and I are blessed enough to be moved by his job to NC (we're praying!), we are looking along the NC/SC border for housing. He would be working near S. Tryon/Arrowood area of Charlotte, so we can't live too far out - but he prefers more space and forest-views. Our family/church is all in Gastonia.

My husband's stipulations for housing are difficult to peg a subdivision/or lot to build on in any given area. We are not rich. If we were rich, this would be a cake-walk.

*NO HOA - - - - this is a firm line
*Larger lot than .7 acre
*Lot to build on / or newer home than 1970's
*No waterfront (where we'd have to have waterfront insurance, etc.)

See my dilemma? Where does one find all the things my husband wants? We are looking in the general directions of:

West: No further than/close to Union Road - SC and NC
North: No further North than Lowell/Mt. Holly area
East: No further East than 485 and Steele Creek Road
South: No further South than Fort Mill /Tega Cay/ NE Clover

I don't know that such a property or land to build-on exists in our budget and parameters. If we were to buy a home, he was thinking max $225........ so I think that building a home would be out of our league with all the stipulations above on land size and no HOA. We would LOVE to live in SC, as the taxes are lower and school ratings are better - but finding the right property/land might be more important.

If anyone has any ideas or locations to point me to, please help!! Other than run of the mill home search and MLS sites, I am out of my league and don't know what to do

Appreciate any advice that is helpful!
**Reposted on SC board for maximum exposure of help
OK. . .Union Road is in Gastonia. Most of it has no forest views.

If you're willing to look at Clover, why not Kings Mountain?

Old 01-22-2014, 12:37 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,802,340 times
Don't just think about stick built homes either. There are a lot of nice options with modular/manufactured homes as well.

Old 01-28-2014, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
OK. . .Union Road is in Gastonia. Most of it has no forest views.

If you're willing to look at Clover, why not Kings Mountain?

Truuuuust me, I would love to build or buy in Kings Mtn/ Crowders Mtn area - there are so many opportunities. But the commute would kill my husband.

When we were staying in Lake Wylie over the summer, and he had to drive down Charlotte HWY 49 into Charlotte to get to work (the address he would be working at if we moved) - it was 45 minutes on a good day. Can you imagine adding the distance to Kings Mountain, or Crowders? Even with taking 85 -485 junction it would be like an hour one way. That's not feasible.

I am just trying to scope out the non HOA developments close enough - and it is sure scarce. I can see why they would be coveted. I just think that building our own home on a non-deed restricted lot in the middle of wherever would cost us so much more in the long-run :P

Old 02-04-2014, 02:16 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,440,425 times
Quote:
Truuuuust me, I would love to build or buy in Kings Mtn/ Crowders Mtn area - there are so many opportunities. But the commute would kill my husband.

When we were staying in Lake Wylie over the summer, and he had to drive down Charlotte HWY 49 into Charlotte to get to work (the address he would be working at if we moved) - it was 45 minutes on a good day. Can you imagine adding the distance to Kings Mountain, or Crowders? Even with taking 85 -485 junction it would be like an hour one way. That's not feasible.

I am just trying to scope out the non HOA developments close enough - and it is sure scarce. I can see why they would be coveted. I just think that building our own home on a non-deed restricted lot in the middle of wherever would cost us so much more in the long-run :P
We have a poster who lives in Clover. She drives to Gastonia on 321 to get to I 85, to go to work in Charlotte. That's why I asked about Kings Mountain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte