Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 02:16 PM

76 posts, read 366,171 times

Advertisements

My husband is being forced to transfer to Charlotte. This is bad timing for us, since we have kids in college, which has taken all our money.
We are looking for a house in the $180,000 range. He will be working downtown. Kids aren't coming with us, so we don't have to worry about schools.
Is there any possibility of us finding a nice neighborhood close enough for him to get to downtown??
Is Bellmont close enough? The Belmont/ Gastonia area is the only part I have been to before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 02:52 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,599,411 times
You can look around prosperity church its close to 85 and 485 is being completed. Belmont is nice and an easy ride to downtown/uptown.

Old 01-15-2014, 05:51 PM

76 posts, read 366,171 times
thanks. After reading other posts on here from folks moving to the area I was feeling a panic coming on. I was afraid we couldn't afford anything.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:20 AM

533 posts, read 936,670 times
Berewick New Homes Charlotte NC, Charlotte New Home Community
(if schools are not an issue)

Berewick is a 20 min communte into uptown. Belmont is 30 min. Belmont taxes are .10 more than Charlotte.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:30 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,214,288 times
Why do you have to buy right away ? If your husband has a job that transfers him, you could rent for a year or two and learn the area.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:59 AM

821 posts, read 1,855,595 times
I would go with Suncc49's advice. Rent first to get a feel for the area. If you must buy, there are some very good homes for sale in south Charlotte near the Matthews city limit line. The properties are off Sardis Road North and Monroe Road. Homes for sale in the area are going fast - most I have seen for sale have a sold sign on them within a couple of weeks. Commuting uptown, about 10 miles, is like most other areas - congestion. In this area, there are quite a few people who take an express bus from a commuter lot in Matthews into town. If I were still working in town, I would chose this option because it saves gas, wear and tear on the car (and nerves) and you get a cheaper insurance premium.

You did not say whether this is a move from out of state or in state, but regardless, there are good options for you in the price range.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:12 AM

533 posts, read 936,670 times
paul her husband works uptown and their kids are in college. South east Charlotte is not really good advice, unless he likes driving 1.5-2h a day back and forth to work lol

Old 01-17-2014, 06:25 AM

821 posts, read 1,855,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloante74 View Post
paul her husband works uptown and their kids are in college. South east Charlotte is not really good advice, unless he likes driving 1.5-2h a day back and forth to work lol
Wellllll, I don't know about that 1.5 to 2.0 if one lives off Monroe Road or Sardis Road at Matthews. I frequently have to go into town at rush hour and the normal drive to the Courthouse is less than 30 minutes. Granted, there are days when I should not be near sharp objects because a wreck can cause long delays. My longest was one hour and 20 minutes. That's why I would recommend grabbing a bus and let the bus driver sweat the traffic until the bus can get to the bus lanes on Independence. Just sayin'

Old 01-17-2014, 08:07 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,214,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kateyk12 View Post
My husband is being forced to transfer to Charlotte. This is bad timing for us, since we have kids in college, which has taken all our money.
We are looking for a house in the $180,000 range. He will be working downtown. Kids aren't coming with us, so we don't have to worry about schools.
Is there any possibility of us finding a nice neighborhood close enough for him to get to downtown??
Is Bellmont close enough? The Belmont/ Gastonia area is the only part I have been to before.
If you are dead set on being near downtown on the cheap, check out the Starmount neighborhood. You can get in there for anywhere from 130-200k. Can't say there will be much appreciation and be sure to not get a place too close to South Blvd.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:04 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,369,773 times
It's kind of refreshing to see someone estimate commutes uptown in the opposite direction (as opposed to saying "15 minutes") but having commuted from SE Charlotte to uptown for the past 14 years, I can tell you that it's about 45 minutes TOPS in the worst traffic. Now, if by SE Charlotte you mean the southernmost reaches of Union County, like some do on this board, then yes, expect 1.5 to 2 hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte