U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 10:34 PM

646 posts, read 807,933 times

Advertisements

I live in the NYC metro area and looking to move soon for better QOL. I realize nothing is gon be like NYC, and I don't want it to be. I also realize that no place is perfect, but I am quite open minded. I used to live in Portland, OR so wondering how Charlotte compares to it. I actually don't like Portland and think it's boring and corny with all the hipster nonsense, but I am used to that kinda slower pace and high QOL comparing to NYC. Other questions:

What's the vibe like?
Is there distinct southern character and southern accent? Would it be a culture shock to someone coming from Portland?
I like diversity and am liberal leaning . How is the overall culture and mindset of people and race relations? Are there diverse suburbs?
Are there many things to do in the city and suburbs? How do people spend time usually?
How's nightlife? Are there good museums, strip clubs, concerts, restaurants?
Are there any good Hip Hop clubs, events, parties?
How's the women?
How are immigrants looked at? (I'm Russian)

Any other relevant info will be helpful.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 08:49 AM

Soo

Old 02-17-2014, 10:14 AM

8,402 posts, read 21,619,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlite View Post
Soo
Apparently the first thing you need to know is that we move at a different pace.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:37 AM

7,672 posts, read 10,990,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Apparently the first thing you need to know is that we move at a different pace.
As for the vibe it's hard to say because of what you are used to. Someone coming from a small rural town will think our city is fast and bustling. Where as I am from a large city in Florida and think Charlotte is a slow but steady city. Stll others will think it's backward, slow and boring. etc. Some say it's artsy and vibrant, others say it's not. Some say there is always something happening, something to do, others say there isn't.

I would just read the several threads we already have on this very exact subject by using the search this forum function in the upper right corner and then come for a visit and see which camp you fall under.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:42 AM

3,774 posts, read 7,371,941 times
Quote:
I live in the NYC metro area and looking to move soon for better QOL. I realize nothing is gon be like NYC, and I don't want it to be. I also realize that no place is perfect, but I am quite open minded. I used to live in Portland, OR so wondering how Charlotte compares to it. I actually don't like Portland and think it's boring and corny with all the hipster nonsense, but I am used to that kinda slower pace and high QOL comparing to NYC. Other questions:

What's the vibe like?
Is there distinct southern character and southern accent? Would it be a culture shock to someone coming from Portland?
I like diversity and am liberal leaning . How is the overall culture and mindset of people and race relations? Are there diverse suburbs?
Are there many things to do in the city and suburbs? How do people spend time usually?
How's the women?

The vibe depends on where you live, what you do, and who you hang with. If you live in the burbs, the vibe is family-oriented. If you live in NoDa, the vibe is different.

If you live in the suburbs you'll be surrounded by people from Buffalo, NY. If you live in town or waaaay out of town you'll experience more of a southern vibe. Culture shock? That term is tired. If you're used to America, culture shock isn't something I'd worry about. That wouldn't stop me from visiting first though.

The city is 35% or more AA and whites are only about 50%. Diversity depends on your community, etc. The rich and rednecks are mostly conservative (also in "the wedge", AKA south Charlotte). There is a democrat bent to the city in spite of that.

There are 2.5MM people in the metro... there is stuff to do. It depends on what you like.

Nightlife is ok, but it's unique. There aren't DJs 7 nights a week and clubs that bounce until sunup. If you like dusty bars there's plenty of those, but the hippity hoppity scene is Charlotte is probably not what you're used to. Disclaimer: I have no interest in the scene and have done no due diligence.

Check out Charlotte Arts and Sciences website, as well as WFAE Charlotte Culture Guide

How *are the women. The women are hot. Try to be respectful, our southern belles don't go for the over the top machismo. There are plenty of New York/Long Island/Jersey transplants though, so maybe they like the gruff stuff if that's what you're in to.

Immigrants are fine. Just don't do weird stuff to your trees.

Old 02-17-2014, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
The vibe depends on where you live, what you do, and who you hang with. If you live in the burbs, the vibe is family-oriented. If you live in NoDa, the vibe is different.

If you live in the suburbs you'll be surrounded by people from Buffalo, NY. If you live in town or waaaay out of town you'll experience more of a southern vibe. Culture shock? That term is tired. If you're used to America, culture shock isn't something I'd worry about. That wouldn't stop me from visiting first though.

The city is 35% or more AA and whites are only about 50%. Diversity depends on your community, etc. The rich and rednecks are mostly conservative (also in "the wedge", AKA south Charlotte). There is a democrat bent to the city in spite of that.

There are 2.5MM people in the metro... there is stuff to do. It depends on what you like.

Nightlife is ok, but it's unique. There aren't DJs 7 nights a week and clubs that bounce until sunup. If you like dusty bars there's plenty of those, but the hippity hoppity scene is Charlotte is probably not what you're used to. Disclaimer: I have no interest in the scene and have done no due diligence.

Check out Charlotte Arts and Sciences website, as well as WFAE Charlotte Culture Guide

How *are the women. The women are hot. Try to be respectful, our southern belles don't go for the over the top machismo. There are plenty of New York/Long Island/Jersey transplants though, so maybe they like the gruff stuff if that's what you're in to.

Immigrants are fine. Just don't do weird stuff to your trees.
Cool

Old 02-18-2014, 08:55 AM

How much is rent for a 1 bd apt with w/d in unit and parking in a non ghetto?

Old 02-18-2014, 09:00 AM

8,402 posts, read 21,619,920 times
Quote:
Try searching for this info. It's here in numerous threads.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:37 AM

3,774 posts, read 7,371,941 times
Quote:
anywhere from $400-$1400. Typically for the mid-to-upper crust stuff I'd say $700-$900

Old 02-18-2014, 10:44 AM

87 posts, read 184,706 times
Quote:

What's the vibe like?
How's the women?

Though I've never been to NYC, I did grow up in DC. That being said, I do find Charlotte to be pretty boring at times and definitely lacking in the cultural aspect. I'm sure I'll get a lot of hate for saying that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte