U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2014, 01:47 AM

12 posts, read 16,294 times

Advertisements

1. Budget | $800-$1500 (prefer $800-$1250) not including utilities
2. House/Condo/Townhome? | Anything except apartment. 1+ bed/bath (pref. 2/2) 900+ sq. ft. w/ yard/patio/green space behind property (pref. fenced)
3. Employment Status (commute/work from home) | work from home, not important but not too far out
4. Children (public school vs. private) | No children
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two | Mix
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? | No, have my own car

A lot of info so bear with me please lol

My boyfriend and I are relocating from Columbia, SC to Charlotte at the end of this month. I have a pretty good idea of general areas I would like to be in but need some suggestions of actual neighborhood names and streets to look at. Such as instead of general "Fort Mill" - "Baxter Village."

I'm 24 and like being near restaurants, shopping, and entertainment but also like a community/suburban uniform look and feel to where I am living. For example, I really like condos and townhomes with HOA. I have a 60 lb dog so I do need a little green space- ground level patio (not balcony) / yard pref. fenced, but if not, just some semi private green space behind property.

I'm not concerned with the age of others in the community- young or older doesn't matter to me. I don't like having a lot of people coming over to my place- I don't have gatherings, parties, or even regular visits from others because I just prefer to go out and have my home be my space. That being said, it is just a personal preference of not having people in MY home. I don't care if neighbors have people over regularly and noise doesn't bother me as long as it's not people hanging out all the time in front of the front yard or streets. In their own home and backyard is their business.

As an example, I have included a neighborhood in Columbia that is a perfect example (pics below). This neighborhood has:

* HOA
* Recreation center within walking distance
* Walking trails
* $800-900/mo 2 bed 2 bath ~1200 sq. ft. condo/duplex (2 attached) with privacy fence + separate yards/patios in back
* No units above and no upstairs in the unit (just an attic)
* It is mainly older ~70s but has recently had an increase in small families ages 30+ without kids
* Literally right around the corner from a really popular mall with a lot of entertainment and food (less than 3 miles)
* Neighborhood and area is not downtown but is easy access from interstate or back roads ~10-15 miles to downtown

^^^ This is just a reference idea of a neighborhood I like. I know the price will not be the same, especially the more desirable the location. That is why the budget is so flexible.

I have been very active on craigslist, zillow, trulia, point2homes.com, city-data forums (of course), etc. and checking out everywhere on google maps. I just need specific community suggestions.

From visiting, the areas I like are:

* Fort Mill – I LOVE Baxter Village but pricey and not a lot of rentals available online. I also like WaterStone but again, don't see a lot of rentals available online
* Ayrsley – I really love these townhomes and found 1 I am debating putting an app on. The only things keeping me from submitting an app is no fenced yard/green area (the biggest reason), location, and price. I like the location but feel like there may be a neighborhood closer downtown (uptown?), or at least for the price, another community between Fort Mill and downtown/uptown with a fenced yard/patio. I like the Ayrsley community itself and distance to Fort Mill and downtown/uptown but would want to pay a little less for the location and lack of private yard
* SouthPark (for shopping… don't know much about the neighborhoods)

Need more in depth info on communities and neighborhood names:

* SouthPark
* Elizabeth
* SouthEnd
* Dilworth
* Plaza Midwood
* Ballantyne – Briefly drove through and liked look of, but came in through Pineville, which I didn't like
* Carmel Village and Quail Village – suggested by a family friend. Haven't seen much about these areas?
* NoDa – I'm iffy on NoDa. I see a lot of people love it but not sure if this is a good area to live getting to know Charlotte and for all my needs, such as a private green space

Areas I'm not really open to:

* Pineville
* Steele Creek – Is Ayrsley part of Steele Creek? I've looked off S. Tryon near Rivergate Pkwy and wasn't too impressed with the communities around there. The homes seemed fine but the communities and area didn't feel right for me

With all the given info, any suggestions on specific neighborhoods/streets to look into? Thanks so much!!

SC neighborhood described as comparable:

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 02:39 PM

12 posts, read 16,294 times
How is 1st Ward? I found some townhomes with everything I want for $1500 / month but don't know much about the area as far as living.

Old 02-17-2014, 11:00 AM

6,224 posts, read 9,146,063 times
Curious what you didn't like about Pineville? To be honest it actually seems like it might fit a lot of your criteria. A large mall in the town, close to interstates, less than 15 miles to uptown and easy access to there/Southend via the light rail. It's also more suburban and I think should be more budget-friendly than some of the other neighborhoods mentioned although not really sure what type of rentals are the most common.

Old 02-17-2014, 03:50 PM

136 posts, read 356,775 times
We are in the University Area off of Mallard Creek Church Rd and really are enjoying our neighborhood so far. We are renting a 3 br, 2 1/2 bath house in Arbor Hills for $1200/month. We are close enough to everything we need (Trader Joe's, Starbucks, Walmart in Concord or Huntersville, Concord Mills) and about 15 minutes from Uptown Charlotte and 20-25 from the South Park Mall. It might be worth taking a look at.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:08 AM

533 posts, read 855,408 times
Check out Berewick

The outlet mall will be completed by summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte