Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2007, 09:26 AM

14 posts, read 40,208 times

Advertisements

Hi Everybody,

I am German and my husband is american and we just moved to Charlotte from Fort Lauderdale, FL

We have 2 small children and main reason for the move are the schools
Then also the weather, because I am missing some cold temperatures.
The heat in S Florida all year round is just too much for me Bavarian Girl

We are currently renting in Charlotte , but I think we want to move to Concord, because we like it a lot and public schools seem to be great

Are there any other german american families out there who like to meet us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2007, 06:52 PM

230 posts, read 576,961 times
We live in Hickory. Hope you are going to like it!
And if you start missing some of the good food : Old German Schnitzel Haus (http://www.oldgermanschnitzelhaus.com - broken link)
Tschuess

Old 10-10-2007, 09:04 AM

58 posts, read 221,332 times
Check out the schools in Fort Mill at greatschools.net (they are the best, especially the High School is rated 10). I am also Bavarian (Wuerzburg) and most of the 180 German companies in our area are in SW Charlotte, near Fort Mill. We have get togethers all the time. I do the website for the Alemanniasociety.org, our German speaking club.

We also meet once a week in SW Charlotte, or the International House for the German Hour

Angie

Old 10-10-2007, 02:15 PM

870 posts, read 3,517,007 times
Waldhorn Restaurant in Pineville is the place to go.

Old 11-20-2007, 02:11 PM

2 posts, read 5,345 times
Hallo,

Ich bin auch deutsch und mein Mann Amerikaner. I have two small children as well. 2 1/2 and 1 yr. We are actually living in Denver, co right now but we will be there in January.

How old are your kids?

Anyways, good to know that there are other german moms.

Old 11-20-2007, 04:55 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,850,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfj2007 View Post
Hallo,

Ich bin auch deutsch und mein Mann Amerikaner. I have two small children as well. 2 1/2 and 1 yr. We are actually living in Denver, co right now but we will be there in January.

How old are your kids?

Anyways, good to know that there are other german moms.
Hope you plan on mixing with the local non-German community as well. Too many people get into their little cliques and do nothing but complain. Always nice to have people from other countries to mix with the locals.

Old 11-20-2007, 11:50 PM

116 posts, read 416,515 times
Hello,
We are Czech-American family with 2 children (6 and 3 years). We enjoy going to Germany during our trips to Europe. Also lived near Fort Lauderdale, FL in the past but currently living in southern California. We are moving to Charlotte next year due job relocation. Why did you selected Concord? We have to explore all the areas of Charlotte because don't know the city at all.

Old 04-15-2008, 05:42 PM

1 posts, read 2,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarian girl View Post
Hi Everybody,

I am German and my husband is american and we just moved to Charlotte from Fort Lauderdale, FL

We have 2 small children and main reason for the move are the schools
Then also the weather, because I am missing some cold temperatures.
The heat in S Florida all year round is just too much for me Bavarian Girl

We are currently renting in Charlotte , but I think we want to move to Concord, because we like it a lot and public schools seem to be great

Are there any other german american families out there who like to meet us?
I just ran across your posting today, as I was looking for German stores or clubs in the area, for an Oktoberfest that I am planning for my father's 70th birthday next month.

My mother is from Germany & I was married to a German for 13 years. I used to speak German fluently, but probably a little rusty now. I am now married to an American and live in Concord.

I grew up in Ft. Lauderdale & we moved here 2 years ago. I have 2 girls, but they are already older & still live in Florida.

If you are interested, we usually have quite a few Germans in our church. In fact, I believe that the head of our congregation is from Bayern. Maybe you've heard of the New Apostolic Church (Neuapostolische Kirche)?

Anyway, we would love to meet you if you are still in the area. Hope you love it here as much as we do. Please let me know.

Anita
[EMAIL="imanita@carolina.rr.com"]imanita@carolina.rr.com[/EMAIL]

Old 02-23-2014, 03:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,091 times
Default Hello Angie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie Adams View Post
Check out the schools in Fort Mill at greatschools.net (they are the best, especially the High School is rated 10). I am also Bavarian (Wuerzburg) and most of the 180 German companies in our area are in SW Charlotte, near Fort Mill. We have get togethers all the time. I do the website for the Alemanniasociety.org, our German speaking club.

We also meet once a week in SW Charlotte, or the International House for the German Hour

Angie
Hi Angie,
I just read your post and am interested in learning more about the Ft.Mill area. My husband and I are thinking of relocating to the Charlotte area. I am originally from Germany but have lived in the US for the past 20 years. I would very much like to know more about the area. We have a high-school student so schools will be important and I am interested in work as a bi-lingual preschool teacher. If you have anything to share please e mail me. I am also interested in finding out which German companies are located there and might be hiring. Thanks,
Susanne
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte