Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2007, 06:48 AM

192 posts, read 687,331 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of and have first hand knowledge of a good assisted living community in So. Charlotte, York, Lancaster Counties or surrounding areas. My parents will probably have to move into assisted living in the next year or so. My Dad has MS and my mom has been his main caretaker for 25 years. She just can't do it anymore (the lifting) and they haven't had much luck finding a reasonably priced home health care service. (They are currently in OHIO) If they have to move out of their home, they are thinking of moving down here to be closer to family. How does one go about finding the best places?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2007, 09:43 AM

2,115 posts, read 7,086,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baggleflap View Post
Does anyone know of and have first hand knowledge of a good assisted living community in So. Charlotte, York, Lancaster Counties or surrounding areas. My parents will probably have to move into assisted living in the next year or so. My Dad has MS and my mom has been his main caretaker for 25 years. She just can't do it anymore (the lifting) and they haven't had much luck finding a reasonably priced home health care service. (They are currently in OHIO) If they have to move out of their home, they are thinking of moving down here to be closer to family. How does one go about finding the best places?
I'm sorry to say that I don't have any information on available resources for you. Assisted living and how to fund it, what type of financial assistance might be available, etc., is a complicated and confusing area buried in bureaucracy and laws that differ vastly from state to state.

My maternal grandfather and mother both succumbed to MS and I had to go through the same experience.

I just wanted to say that I hope someone here is able to provide you with information, or point you in the right direction, and that relief is in sight.

Sincerely,

Sara

Have you seen this site? Contact them and I'm sure someone could get some questions answered.
North Carolina Assisted Living Association | Home Page

Last edited by saralee; 06-11-2007 at 09:44 AM.. Reason: Added a web address

Old 06-11-2007, 04:39 PM

192 posts, read 687,331 times
Thank you for the kind words. My father won't talk about moving into a 'home' but my mother just can't do it anymore. She's been preparing to downsize for several months and I hope we can find something for them.

Old 06-11-2007, 07:27 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,954,543 times
Quote:

Oh that's so sad. I wish you the best. I checked out a place for my mom in Lake Wylie. I have all the info somehere but just google assisted living in Lake Wylie.

Old 12-01-2007, 10:16 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,655,109 times
I'd like to resurrect this topic. I too am looking for an Assisted Living or Nursing Home for my spouse, and I'd like to get some feedback on what to look for in cost vs. benefits. Because I am a full-time Caregiver, it is extremely difficult for me to get out and personally visit all of the available facilities. My major criteria is that they not have an age limit (she's 43) and that they provide 24x7 assistance and provide transporation when needed.

I did get the chance to visit my first facility this week, a brand-new Assisted Living center in Huntersville. They don't have the usual age restriction, but at $217.00 per day for a semi-private room, that's way over my budget (I don't even make that much a month).

Old 12-03-2007, 06:12 AM

46 posts, read 210,945 times
There are a few in South Charlotte that are nice, anything owned by Brookdale is a good option.

Old 12-03-2007, 08:22 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,707,267 times
Quote:
I have heard good things about two in particular you could check out

Sunrise (Providence)
5114 Providence Rd.
Charlotte, NC 28226
704-365-5252

and in Mint Hill
Little Flower Assisted Living
8700 Lawyers Rd.
Charlotte, NC 28227
704-545-7005
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte