U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 06:59 PM

2 posts, read 2,192 times

Advertisements

Hi!
My husband just got a job in the Charlotte area. We are coming from Minnesota where we have family and moving to what sounds like a wonderful state but we have no connections or are aware of any of the areas. We are looking for an area that is great and safe to raise our children (8 and 5) with good schools, friendly neighborhoods (maybe a development with amenities), convenient to shopping, maybe even a town with fun character and things to do?? I'd love a classic southern home if there are certain areas with those? 4 bedrooms between $350-$450. My hubby may be willing to commute into Charlotte if the city/home life is worth it. We really appreciate any recommendations. If anyone out there is familiar with the Minneapolis suburbs let me know. Because if you can share which ones in the charlotte area would be similar that would be so helpful! We have incredible schools here so we hope to find something comparable in NC. Again, really appreciate anyone's help!
Blessings!

Last edited by kseeger; 02-20-2014 at 08:24 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 04:50 AM

249 posts, read 397,024 times
do you know what side of of charlotte he will be working on?

Old 02-21-2014, 05:31 AM

2,197 posts, read 3,908,564 times
similar situation, lived in snowbelt, never been to NC, just wanted to move south out of the weather and we picked Charlotte and never looked back. All family up north, no worries. Charlotte is so transient that most people are looking to make new friends. I'd say our social network is double what it was up north. If you can live south of town, a great community for your kids age, lot's of amenities, great schools (Weddington) and in your price range is Brookhaven in Matthews (Union County). Many parents walk their children to the K-5 school (Antioch) next door.

Old 02-21-2014, 05:34 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,730,071 times
You will have many options in your price range. I would agree that you should determine where the job location is first. Charlotte is a very large area and you likely would not want to be working on the south side of town and living in the north.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:08 AM

56 posts, read 96,164 times
Union County is really nice.

Old 02-21-2014, 12:22 PM

397 posts, read 604,227 times
Check out the Waxhaw/Marvin area - these are great neighborhoods, family-oriented, safe, and in your price range. And they will most definitely hold their value and continue to increase. They are actively building in these neighborhoods and they are lovely - New Homes for Sale in Waxhaw, NC - NewHomeGuide
Good Luck!!

Old 02-21-2014, 01:12 PM

2,197 posts, read 3,908,564 times
Also play close attention to possible school redistricting if you choose to live in Union County (especially in Marvin/Waxhaw) as you could be redistricted to a less desirable school and could effect home value.
//www.city-data.com/forum/charl...stricting.html

Old 02-21-2014, 04:42 PM

747 posts, read 1,623,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kseeger View Post
Hi!
My husband just got a job in the Charlotte area. We are coming from Minnesota
You'll love it here. It NEVER snows!

Old 02-21-2014, 08:40 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,818,328 times
South Charlotte is a good area.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:04 PM

16 posts, read 35,071 times
I would second the South Charlotte suggestion. However, as KBrown asked, I would pay close attention to where he will be working. Charlotte is a large place, especially compared to anywhere in MN. My wife and I lived in Minneapolis (Calhoun-Isles) for 2 years. I've lived in Charlotte for 4 years (and still work here). Have any question, ask away.

I'll say that the public schools are not as good as some you'll find in Edina or Minnetonka, but Union County has some good selections (Waxhaw, Matthews, etc.). Keep South Carolina in mind, as Ft. Mill as some of the best around. But again, only if he is working near Central or South Charlotte. Ballantyne is a new money area, but great houses with a few good schools. Again, close to the SC state line.

Up north, Lake Norman (Mooresville, Huntersville, etc.) also have some highly rated public, private, and charter schools.

Houses average in the 200's, so your budget will get you something really nice down here. It's a bit cheaper than MN. It's a really good place for family life.

Also, check out:
Charlotte Schools - Charlotte North Carolina School Ratings - Public and Private

It'll give you a bit more direction.

If you need realtor assistance, check out Elaine's page. She's excellent; I've recommended her several friends, and they are happy people. She also was featured on TLC's My First Home. Tell her Ian sent ya :-)

http://goldenproperties.com/

Last edited by Memphis_All_Day; 02-21-2014 at 10:06 PM.. Reason: Adding words
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte