Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 06:21 AM

3 posts, read 4,471 times

Advertisements

We are relocating from the Boston area to the Charlotte area within the next few months. What are the best areas/suburbs for interracial couples with children? We want to be in an area with excellent schools, at least an acre with mature trees and privacy. Our budget is 350k-450k, but willing to pay more for the right place. Any input would be great! I just have no idea where to start looking. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 06:08 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,965,684 times
WHERE are relocating to and WHERE will you be working?

Old 02-23-2014, 08:44 PM

27 posts, read 43,930 times
The entire south is much more racially diversified (and mix together) than Boston so you won't have a problem with that. It really depends on where you work but I would say Mooresville, Huntersville, and Matthews are the areas we considered.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:47 PM

Driving for work won't be an issue since both my husband and I work from home. We've narrowed our options down to either the Matthews, Mint Hill area or somewhere north up by Lake Norman, Moorseville and so on. Just wondering where the best schools are within those areas or if those areas have good schools? Thanks so much for your replies and any input you can give!!

Old 02-24-2014, 02:01 AM

1,445 posts, read 2,309,238 times
Union County has the best schools in Greater Charlotte.

Old 02-24-2014, 05:01 AM

Thank you! I will check out areas in Union.

Old 02-24-2014, 05:29 AM

1,453 posts, read 5,133,714 times
I agree that for good schools and acreage Union County would be a good option.

Old 02-24-2014, 05:59 AM

48 posts, read 170,866 times
Union County is generally a good area for both schools and land. We are an inter-cultural marriage (not really inter-racial, though we look that way) and we have had no difficulty in Union Cty or in our travels around the greater CLT area. I don't think you need to be too much concerned about that. Please note that Union Cty is going through school redistricting. The reality is that you just need to know how the proposed plan would affect the properties you are interested in. I am not losing my mind over redistricting as some are. It is a VERY HOT issue around here. But, you definitely need to be aware. Talk to the neighbors in the areas you are considering. They may be able to filter out some the rhetoric on forums and facebook pages and give you the real story on local schools. Good Luck. It really is a nice place to live.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:29 AM

430 posts, read 799,965 times
I moved here from Boston myself, and we have been in Union County happily for 7 years. It's a great place to live and raise children. Be warned, there are a lot of NY sports fans though! Sox and Pats fans are definitely around too, but during a few Superbowls, play dates have been tense! Feel free to PM me if you would like to ask anything specific!

Old 02-24-2014, 12:33 PM

2 posts, read 2,608 times
Default Relocating from Boston, MA to Charlotte, NC

Hello,

Anyone moving from Boston, MA to Charlotte, NC please email directly at anaplanet1@gmail.com.

I am looking to move from Boston to Charlotte, NC as well. Looking to talk to others who are making the same move. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte