Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 07:13 AM

1,241 posts, read 2,321,762 times

Advertisements

The wife and I currently watch NBC in the morning. I am starting to get fed up with the advertising of the show The Voice (or whatever the singing show is on that station) and the referencing Facebook and Twitter. If I cared about the show I'd watch it and if I cared what people said on Twitter I would create a Twitter account. I only care about weather and traffic. Are there any local news stations available that do not gossip and just do news? The only one I can think of that might meet my criteria is the TWC channel News14. Are there any other stations out there that do news with no gossip?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 07:38 AM

642 posts, read 1,170,456 times
If you want the news and nothing but the news, then you may be better off getting your fix online. The same goes for weather. www.wunderground.com is my preferred weather channel but there are many others. I have an app on my phone too that gives me a weather feed.

The problem with TV news channels is that they need to yap endlessly so that people can tune in anytime they are on and after a while they will get at least, some news. The prospect of a 2 hours show that just repeats the current few daily news items is just too hard for TV channel producers to swallow.

Believe me when I tell you that this is a global problem. All countries seem to want to do folksy, yappin' morning shows. It is almost as if reading the news in a straightforward "talking head" format is nowadays just too horrible to comprehend. I guess it is the teenage show producers.

I get my work news (hardly local) from www.reuters.com/news and www.bbc.co.uk/news. I have to say that I tend to watch Channel 9.2 WSOC for weather. 3.1 WBTV to get America Now and either WSOC for local news or online at Charlotte News, Weather, Breaking News, Panthers, Channel 9... | www.wsoctv.com

This may not be exactly what you are looking for since you asked for TV channels but today you are not limited to the TV for news weather and traffic delivery media choices.

Old 02-25-2014, 06:35 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,515,926 times
WBTV Channel 3 is our choice and has been what I have watched for years....

Old 02-26-2014, 05:08 AM

218 posts, read 523,093 times
WSOC doesn't mess around and just gives you the news. No pets of the week, no fishing photos, etc. Pretty straightforward stuff, hard news but at least it's not the goofy stuff.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:38 PM

821 posts, read 1,854,700 times
The only reason for watching the NBC station is weather. Brad Panovich is a scientist first and a TV personality second. I'm a weather nerd and he's the best in the area - not to take anything away from the certified meteorologists on the other stations. We've just about given up on the NBC station. We have timed two "stories" they aired about mansions in the area. Of a 30 minute newscast at 11:00 meaning only 20 minutes for news, weather, and sports, they used over three minutes to do a feature on mansions -twice. Pointless. Then, doing hard news would require work and a challenge. There was a time when news organizations could hold government accountable at the local and state level. No more. That's why there's so much crap going on at the local government center and in Raleigh. Never mind getting any news of value out of Washington from the national news organizations.

Old 02-26-2014, 05:08 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,625,398 times
News 14 Carolina that you mentioned is what I usually turn to first.

Old 02-26-2014, 05:31 PM

128 posts, read 242,296 times
News 14 does seem to have the best hard news. They really did a great job with the snow forecasts (I know that some of it is based on the models that other stations had also). Channel 3 seems solid as well.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:25 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,355,600 times
WBTV Channel 3 and WSOC Channel 9 have always been the 2 main news stations. Overall they do a very good job. WCNC Channel 36 has always been 3rd rated but they go through phases when they improve. And now there is WCCB Channel 18 and recently WJZY-46. WCCB can do some good work, but overall I still prefer Channel 3 and Channel 9. But I do not care for the strange format on 46. They have a long way to go. I have seen other FOX stations that are much, much better.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:24 AM

4,595 posts, read 6,422,669 times
WCNC is superior for weather. Brad Panovich is one of the nation's best and most popular meteorologists.

Old 02-28-2014, 05:12 PM

372 posts, read 659,294 times
Eric Thomas on WBTV creeps me out. Every night he does a weather promo during a commercial, and when he's done talking, he just leaves his mouth open. Never closes it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte