U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 09:44 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,479,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Mark my words- The city is being overdeveloped too soon and too quickly especially when the demand as well as the good paying jobs to meet the demand is not there. Sooner or later, it will come back and bite Charlotte in the a@#. The bubble all over again.
You don't live here anymore, and your information on Charlotte is always sketchy, at best. Please stop with the conjecture: "Cities with the highest annual incomes when adjusted for cost of living....No. 1: Charlotte, N.C...Charlotte is the best city in America for good salaries and low cost of living..."
Link: http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/top-b...195126305.html
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2014, 10:10 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,553,546 times
Having lived in Charlotte, I can promise you that the average income is nowhere close to $76,914 and the cost of living is high. Charlotte charges the most amount of taxes in the State and the "GOOD" jobs are very competitive to land let alone one that would amount to such an income. So many people move here thinking they're going to get a high paying job, buy a big house for cheap, They are often very disappointed by the lack of job opportunities.

Old 03-23-2014, 10:39 PM

125 posts, read 232,087 times
Good jobs are taken because they are Good jobs. No one wants a bad one. If you are not good enough for a good job you get a regular job, people just assume that they can move to the Holy Land and find a new life with the perfect job. There is not a single city that is easy in this country. People who move without a job, for other than legal reasons, are just blind to reality. But in saying that, Charlotte is not nearly as bad as cities like Denver, San Francisco, Chicago, Miami, and LA. They would hit a bubble far before Charlotte would.

Old 03-24-2014, 07:01 AM

6,319 posts, read 9,644,476 times
Quote:
Having lived in Charlotte, I can promise you that the average income is nowhere close to $76,914 and the cost of living is high. Charlotte charges the most amount of taxes in the State and the "GOOD" jobs are very competitive to land let alone one that would amount to such an income. So many people move here thinking they're going to get a high paying job, buy a big house for cheap, They are often very disappointed by the lack of job opportunities.
You are aware what the definition of the term average is, right? Are you saying you know how money much every person in Charlotte makes? With talent like that, you surely should have been able to land one of those "good" jobs.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:23 AM

15,081 posts, read 11,784,082 times
Quote:
I thought you left? Why are you looking back?

GOOD jobs are hard to land EVERYWHERE!!! It's competitve in Charlotte because it's a popular destination. Some make it, some don't. That's what happens in a city that are growing.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:26 AM

15,081 posts, read 11,784,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
There isn't a very good road network in Charlotte. They have opted for a vein-artery type of layout...and they keep dumping apartment complexes on the on existing over crowded roads. They are adding a complex on Endhaven and another on Johnson Rd...with more to follow...
This is true but construction can't wait for the city/county/state to build new roads.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:44 AM

2,742 posts, read 6,479,566 times
Quote:
And that’s all conjecture on your part. The fact is Charlotte is one of the most affordable places to live in the country. And based on some of your comments in your new hometown’s page, you don’t seem to be a good authority when it comes to assessing housing costs. You may not have been successful in living the life you wanted when you were here, but that doesn’t mean the countless others who live here have the same experience. And to the OP’s topic, if the city is being “overbuilt”, that only means prices will go down! So your points are all baseless, and simply another attempt to throw a jab at Charlotte.

Here’s another recent story about how affordable Charlotte is: http://www.wisebread.com/10-of-ameri...t-cheap-cities

And I’ll tell you what. I think it’s time I go camp out on the Phoenix board and let everyone over there know some of the wonderful facts I know about that city. Cause lord knows I got plenty I could say about that place.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:45 AM

533 posts, read 887,335 times
Yup way too much growth. That's why most of the natives have moved out to SC or Gaston county

Old 03-24-2014, 08:50 AM

52,423 posts, read 24,723,961 times
Developers are building apartments now because they can't sell condos. Too many people got burned badly by that "boom" in Charlotte.

Old 03-24-2014, 09:29 AM

4,693 posts, read 8,930,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choloboy36 View Post
Is there TOO much growth in the Charlotte and the Greater Charlotte Region? Everywhere you turn something is going on. Growth is DT Charlotte for one with all the Apartment towers. Which areas in the region needs the growth or do you think that we ares finally managing it fairly well.
I can see the concern and I do share the same concerns. I'm not too concerned with uptown traffic. The grid pattern seems like it's working out pretty good. Inused to work uptown and you would think that area would be congested as crap. While it is busy it is not unbearable. My concern is I77. Even now that area is cocky ester and our southern neighbors have more lanes. Charlotte has more people than double the population in York county yet York county has more lanes on I77. Also it seems that all of I85 will need to be widened along 33-46. Of course I'm wondering if some of the congestion is due to current construction. My concern about any sort of "overdevelopment" is do we have enough roads to support the additional 1million people moving in by 2030. Right now it looks like Charlotte will follow its neighbor on 85south if we don't address this now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte