U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 10:49 AM

1,028 posts, read 1,378,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
And that’s all conjecture on your part. The fact is Charlotte is one of the most affordable places to live in the country. And based on some of your comments in your new hometown’s page, you don’t seem to be a good authority when it comes to assessing housing costs. You may not have been successful in living the life you wanted when you were here, but that doesn’t mean the countless others who live here have the same experience. And to the OP’s topic, if the city is being “overbuilt”, that only means prices will go down! So your points are all baseless, and simply another attempt to throw a jab at Charlotte.

Here’s another recent story about how affordable Charlotte is: http://www.wisebread.com/10-of-ameri...t-cheap-cities

And I’ll tell you what. I think it’s time I go camp out on the Phoenix board and let everyone over there know some of the wonderful facts I know about that city. Cause lord knows I got plenty I could say about that place.
(And to the OP’s topic, if the city is being “overbuilt”, that only means prices will go down! So your points are all baseless, and simply another attempt to throw a jab at Charlotte.)

Woai wasn't throwing a jab a Charlotte. I saw that the Triangle forums had a similar thread so i wanted to see everyone's viewpoints about Charlotte. I love growth and honestly i love traffic to a certain degree. (Makes me be late on days that i know i will deal with bull anyways lol) My thing is we need to upgrade these roads. I don't mind sitting in traffic when i know the freeway can support it. just a bad day i guess, but when you and everyone else is sitting in traffic, not because its a heck load of cars but when u have only 2 or 3 lanes and with the ramps dumping cars onto it, it bothers me. And i clearly said the Charlotte region ie some places might need the growth more than others or none at all.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 11:17 AM

2,742 posts, read 6,480,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choloboy36 View Post
(And to the OP’s topic, if the city is being “overbuilt”, that only means prices will go down! So your points are all baseless, and simply another attempt to throw a jab at Charlotte.)

Woai wasn't throwing a jab a Charlotte. I saw that the Triangle forums had a similar thread so i wanted to see everyone's viewpoints about Charlotte. I love growth and honestly i love traffic to a certain degree. (Makes me be late on days that i know i will deal with bull anyways lol) My thing is we need to upgrade these roads. I don't mind sitting in traffic when i know the freeway can support it. just a bad day i guess, but when you and everyone else is sitting in traffic, not because its a heck load of cars but when u have only 2 or 3 lanes and with the ramps dumping cars onto it, it bothers me. And i clearly said the Charlotte region ie some places might need the growth more than others or none at all.
My comments weren't at all directed at you. That was for westcoastbabe and her assertion that part of the "overbuilding" problem was that the new places being contructed we not affordable for most people in Charlotte.

Old 03-24-2014, 01:00 PM

489 posts, read 864,143 times
We definitely need better infrastructure. We will see a year from now how all of the work on 485 and 85 helps. All of 77 needs widening badly, but I'm not sure the south Charlotte coridor will ever get widened. Huntersville and Cornelius needs it.

Also, the 74 freeway completion cant come soon enough.

Add on another million people, and we will need a lot more and wider roads. Hopefully light rail and BRT become more commonly used and expanded to take on the burden.

Old 03-24-2014, 01:32 PM

4,693 posts, read 8,931,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Talbott View Post
We definitely need better infrastructure. We will see a year from now how all of the work on 485 and 85 helps. All of 77 needs widening badly, but I'm not sure the south Charlotte coridor will ever get widened. Huntersville and Cornelius needs it.

Also, the 74 freeway completion cant come soon enough.

Add on another million people, and we will need a lot more and wider roads. Hopefully light rail and BRT become more commonly used and expanded to take on the burden.
I agree. The northern half of I77 needs it badly but I think the southern half as well. We're looking at Steele Creek, Southpark, Ballantyne, and the airport corridor all feeding into this area of I77 and all of these are growing fast or are already significant population centers. Rapid transit needs to be infused more. I would love to see surrounding counties contribute to more rapid transit. I think long term it is a much better way to go.

Old 03-24-2014, 02:08 PM

1,812 posts, read 2,327,439 times
Charlotte is growing rapidly. I've watched the UNCC area gain several large apartment complexes since I moved here about 5 years ago. There are even two more under construction right now in the immediate vicinity of the campus.

I think the biggest impediment to keeping up with the growth is the highway infrastructure. I-85 is fine throughout most of the city and its worst area around Concord Mills is being fixed right now as well as 485 being completed. That should help things a lot (or at least push the daily backup up into Cabarrus a few more exits for now).

I-77 on the other hand, is inadequate throughout the entire stretch in Meck county. The northern part can be corrected easily and probably will be done within the next 5-7 years but the part south of Uptown, I'm not sure if it will ever get done because of how massive the costs will be. Also the 85/77 interchange needs to be redesigned badly. NCDOT took the cheap way out when they built it and now it's inadequate.

Charlotte also lacks an east-west freeway so this makes it difficult to get around the eastside and the eastern suburbs. At the current rate, who knows when 74 will finally get upgraded to freeway/expressway out to 485. Plus the badly needed Monroe Bypass is on hold last I heard.

Granted, these are mostly funding issues that have to do with the NCDOT rather than Charlotte officials, but yes they need to be addressed in order to keep up with the Charlotte area's explosive growth.

Old 03-24-2014, 03:29 PM

It doesn't look like development is slowing down for time being

Crescent Communities offers Charlotte $10.3 million for uptown land - Charlotte Business Journal

Old 03-24-2014, 08:17 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,553,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloante74 View Post
Yup way too much growth. That's why most of the natives have moved out to SC or Gaston county
Thank you!

Old 03-24-2014, 11:03 PM

Here is some more non-slow down growth.
Crescent unveils plans for 2 uptown projects | CharlotteObserver.com

Old 03-24-2014, 11:06 PM

129 posts, read 194,922 times
It seems like in the last year or so the traffic has gotten so much worse, even on Saturday. Live south of Ballantyne just before Union County and Indian Land. One lane road in each direction + mega church + rapid development + more apartments = bad news. Someone warned me years ago that Charlotte was going to turn into Atlanta, I see that more than ever. There is a lot to do, shopping, restaurants, grocery stores, but they are really packing it in with people and developments. The area around Ardrey Kell HS is booming like madness, way too fast.

Old 03-25-2014, 01:06 AM

3,452 posts, read 3,676,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austincool View Post
No one hate Really? I would have never guessed.

I don't remember saying everyone moving to Charlotte wanted to live in Uptown, but Uptown is the location where the most obvious and recognizable building is taking place.

I don't even live in Uptown.

No one said anything about Charlotte topping any lists for having the most units in 2014, therefore I'm not exactly sure why you're posting that or why you decided to venture into the Charlotte forum in general because your hatred for the city doesn't go unnoticed. But if I had to guess, it would have to be for the simple fact Atlanta is on the list and Charlotte is not. Am I right or am I right? Bye Felicia.

Not to mention the fact the link you provided is no longer creditable, at least judging by numbers released three days ago stating that Charlotte has 10,067 units under construction, which would place it fifth after Houston.

Oh would u Please Get out of your feelings Starkeisha... The Op mentioned he is noticing all this growth from all the apartments going up in Charlotte I was just showing the cities where the most apartments were being built. It had nothing to do with hating Charlotte what's to hate??. Charlotte is the one playing catch up.

And your right the source isn't credible
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte