U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 08:38 AM

489 posts, read 864,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post

Came into post this!

Too bad this will be blighted in a couple of decades according to Larry...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 12:03 PM

4,693 posts, read 8,930,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Talbott View Post
Came into post this!

Too bad this will be blighted in a couple of decades according to Larry...
Lol. I'm glad to see more infill in uptown. I don't think we need anymore taller buildings just a few dozen 300-500ft towers

Old 03-25-2014, 04:10 PM

161 posts, read 289,350 times
Here in Union County...it took me 35 minutes to drop my daughter off at school this morning and we are only 2 miles to the school. Not sure how we can support any more neighborhoods in the area!

Old 03-25-2014, 08:43 PM

128 posts, read 212,106 times
Hi,
I've long thought that one of the reasons that the neighborhoods right around uptown (Elizabeth, Myers Park, Dilworth, etc.) have done so well is because traffic can be bad going out Providence Rd, then up I-77 and now on I485 around Ballanytne. This has driven up the home value on homes that are close to uptown, which is not something that we see in every mid-sized city like Charlotte. Increased home values equals increases in taxes for Charlotte. Quickly building roads to the suburbs (which are now in other counties) doesn't really help the tax base in Charlotte/Mecklenburg. I'm not claiming a conspiracy at all, just a different perspective. On the other side of that equation is public perception and pressure from uptown boosters to encourage enough growth to supply workers who want to live in Charlotte.

Secondly, Charlotte has about doubled in size every 40 years since the civil war. Growth is what Charlotte is about. Therefore, I do find it interesting the number of comments (on this thread and also on the Union County Schools thread) that almost seem to be saying "I got here - now it's time to stop the growth or solve a transportation problem that I helped create in a high growth, suburban area." If the surrounding counties had put the growth caps and capacity fees in place to pay for all the schools and transportation then the housing would not have been affordable. But, the developers and county government officials bet on growth for now knowing, as it has seemed obvious to me for awhile, that of course the property taxes would not be able to remain low for all these ex-urbs. This doesn't make it easy for y'all who live way out there and I feel a bit sad for those who now seem shocked at the consequences of buying cheap housing with low taxes in a high growth area.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:48 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,378,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cltpeep View Post
Charlotte has about doubled in size every 40 years since the civil war. Growth is what Charlotte is about
I wouldn't even go that far out saying 40. Its more like 20 and that's what some of the city leaders is hoping for. For Charlotte to double in size in the next 20 years to 4 through 4.5 million. Which considering that may even be slightly off with our current growth trend. Ill make sure ill have my bible with me during those dark times on i77 lol.

http://www.independentmail.com/news/...-bowl/?print=1

"It is part of the DNA of those of us in Charlotte to continually aspire to be more than what we are," said Morgan who would like the city to double in size to 4 million in 20 years

"We are a region today of less than 2 million people. We are going to double that over the next 20 years," Morgan said. "We want that growth. We think that growth brings increased well generation for the citizen of this region.--------

now this is what had me thinking because were over 2 mil now but then he was hoping we would be bigger. See the growth in Charlotte is extremely explosive and i love it. All i ask is please lets try to keep the roads up and transit somewhat on pace so the growing pains wont hurt to bad.

Last edited by choloboy36; 03-25-2014 at 11:02 PM..

Old 03-26-2014, 12:14 AM

For that growth to happen, public transportation needs to change. Our neighbors in Union, Iredell, Gaston, Cabarrus, and even York need to be included. The environment will not benefit of LRT or any rail transit is limited to Mecklenburg county.

Old 03-26-2014, 03:13 AM

1,028 posts, read 1,378,382 times
Quote:
For that growth to happen, public transportation needs to change. Our neighbors in Union, Iredell, Gaston, Cabarrus, and even York need to be included. The environment will not benefit of LRT or any rail transit is limited to Mecklenburg county.
I agree but how do we get them on board is the question. Last i remember Concord and rock-hill and if i can recall gastonia at some point ( correct me if im wrong)wanted some form of light-rail but all we give them is a express bus for now which is fine i guess but the buses will just get stuck in traffic also. With the other counties it seems like they want to piggy back off Charlotte-Mecklenburgs growth but when asked about transit they kinda turn a blind eye. I just don't understand that. Charlotte knows that transit is the way to go and finally starting to see all the infill with dense development but what county wouldn't want the TOD development. I was thinking if they went Charlotte's route do you think the individual counties would loose their identities . Kinda like if u was in Los Angles and drove the Compton, Inglewood, Long Beach etc. Fills like your just in one Big City. Same With the counties in the Charlotte region.

Old 03-26-2014, 08:15 AM

533 posts, read 887,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinlp View Post
Here in Union County...it took me 35 minutes to drop my daughter off at school this morning and we are only 2 miles to the school. Not sure how we can support any more neighborhoods in the area!

Old 03-26-2014, 08:44 AM

15,081 posts, read 11,784,082 times
Quote:
I have no idea how it played out before but those places have to play ball if they want rail.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
I have no idea how it played out before but those places have to play ball if they want rail.
There in lies the dilemma. But in order for Metrolina to have smarter and healthier growth all of the major counties need to facilitate better transit options. Otherwise we will be another Atlanta, and not in a good way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte