Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Research on Union County: new homes, modern layout, long term potential, rush hours

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 10:42 AM

116 posts, read 416,885 times

Advertisements

I am doing some research on Union County. We are from Europe but living in CA. We just got back from Charlotte. We like the Union County because we prefer new homes with more open and modern layout. Also we would prefer to live in the best possible school district. We could send our children to private schools but don't wish to, if we don't have to. It seems that Union County district has long term potential. We only have 1 child in kindergarten so far so hopefully there will be more schools in the future.

Any plans for new schools in Union County?
Do you know what is the district plan to resolve too many trailers in each school?

Also any plan for new shopping areas closer to Skyecroft. That's one thing that we don't like about Skyecroft. It's quite far out. No restaurants or shopping.

Also the Weddington Road (I hope that the correct name) is quite busy and it will be horrible in the rush hours. Any plans for building more roads or making the streets wider? We also noticed that there are no street lights. My husband works long hours and would be hard coming home at night. How long do you think it would take him to the international airport?

We would like to live in gated community or country club with club house. So far we really like Longview, Skeycroft and perhaps Providence Down South. Any other communites you would recomend? We also like Ballantyne Country club but that's different county. We do have a realtor who does not really work in South. So it will be challenging...

Thanks for all your opinions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 10:45 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,470,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia1997 View Post
I am doing some research on Union County. We are from Europe but living in CA. We just got back from Charlotte. We like the Union County because we prefer new homes with more open and modern layout. Also we would prefer to live in the best possible school district. We could send our children to private schools but don't wish to, if we don't have to. It seems that Union County district has long term potential. We only have 1 child in kindergarten so far so hopefully there will be more schools in the future.

Do you know what is the district plan to resolve too many trailers in each school?

Also any plan for new shopping areas closer to Skyecroft. That's one thing that we don't like about Skyecroft. It's quite far out. No restaurants or shopping.

Also the Weddington Road (I hope that the correct name) is quite busy and it will be horrible in the rush hours. Any plans for building more roads or making the streets wider? We also noticed that there are no street lights. My husband works long hours and would be hard coming home at night. How long do you think it would take him to the international airport?

We would like to live in gated community or country club with club house. So far we really like Longview, Skeycroft and perhaps Providence Down South. Any other communites you would recomend? We do have a realtor who does not really work in South. So it will be challenging...

Julia, if you are sold on the south end of things you are just shooting yourself in the foot by having a realtor who does not work that area. In my opinion you need to seriously reconsider realtors. A good realtor who knows the area you are specifically interested in like the back of his/her hand will serve you SO much better and be ten times more likely to find you what you want. Get a new realtor.

Old 12-18-2007, 10:48 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,470,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia1997 View Post

We would like to live in gated community or country club with club house. So far we really like Longview, Skeycroft and perhaps Providence Down South. Any other communites you would recomend? We do have a realtor who does not really work in South. So it will be challenging...

To address your other questions...Union county IS lovely, but so many people are flocking there that the roads and schools are struggling to keep up with all the growth. Trailers at schools are now just a fact of life, you will not see them go away any time soon - they ARE the plan for dealing with overcrowding. Road widening is also not going to happen very quickly I'm afraid.

Old 12-18-2007, 11:33 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,386,310 times
I don't know if I would say Union Cty is the best school district in the area. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's bad, but I believe there are better school districts around.

Old 12-18-2007, 11:42 AM

513 posts, read 2,106,253 times
I'd go with Longview over Skyecroft because it has the golf course and is a better ride to uptown than Skyecroft is. Have you considered Springfield in Fort Mill? Homes range from 600's to about 1.9 million. It's also on a golf course - it's a public course but is very nice. Schools there have a very good reputation. Here's a link:
http://www.crescent-resources.com/communit/charlott/springfield/ (broken link)

Old 12-18-2007, 12:56 PM

116 posts, read 416,885 times
LovesMountains: Thanks. Well, I have to agree with you. That's scary. I don't think we could be happy in an area that is going to have so many issues that are important to us.

Groovy1: Could you provide the names of the school district. We could send our children to private schools but it is a BIG commitment and we would have to buy a less expensive home. I absolutely love our school district in CA. We live in a small city in Ventura County, CA (near Malibu). We have 3 elementary schools, 1 middle and 1 high school. Is there a district like this? All schools are top rated with extremely high PTA. My child has 17 students in a class.

Marlbmom: I have noticed that Fort Mill has very well rated schools. It might be too far for my husband to the international airport. Our top choice is Longview. We like the location more because it's closer to restaurants and shopping and main roads.

It seems that Chapel Hill is a great district for family with kids. But that's too far. Also we like Peninsula North. But it seems that Davidson has top rated schools. But it might be too country for us. We have to go back and see it again.

Old 12-18-2007, 01:09 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,386,310 times
Yes, the Fort Mill School District. Fort Mill borders Charlotte but is in SC. Always mentioned because of the quality of schools there.

Old 12-18-2007, 01:41 PM

5,978 posts, read 19,860,666 times
Julia1997 - Bradley International is easily accessible from Fort Mill through I-77...not a problem!

Old 12-18-2007, 03:37 PM

513 posts, read 2,106,253 times
The airport would probably be about 20-25 minutes from Springfield in Fort Mill. It's about 3 miles from Springfield to 77, then about 5 minutes on 77 to 485, then about 10 minutes on 485. It's probably about the same or even closer than from Longview. Longview does sound like a great fit for your needs.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:43 PM

264 posts, read 915,542 times
We lived in Union County before moving to South Charlotte. We found it a maddening mix. It was remote, yet the traffic was terrible. The infrastructure is not keeping up with growth and is only getting worse. We sold our house within just a few months and ended up moving twice in one year. We made a big mistake by moving to Union County.

The schools are crowded and getting more so; when they build more schools, the lines will be redrawn so you don't know where your children will go, and the trailers quickly fill up again. I don't know of any districts like you describe with just one high school. Even smaller towns like Concord and Davidson have five or six high schools. Maybe someone else can answer this, but hasn't Fort Mill somehow shut down to new students? I thought I heard something like this, but don't know how it could be possible.

Obviously as I have said before, the private school route was right for us. I don't mean this to sound harsh, but what is more important, a quality education or a larger house? For us, the right decision was to choose education.

You can buy a very large house here for under $400k in a good neighborhood. Especially when you compare to Ventura County. My parents live there and are active in real estate; a $3 million home in Ojai would be about $600 here. Without the view, of course

If you are not willing to spend the money for private schooling, why not look in one of the well established areas of Charlotte with the higher rated schools? There are small developments of new homes going in all over south of downtown. These are called "infill" developments, I believe. They are taking advantage of some of the last undeveloped spots in older, established communities. You get a new home, big trees, beautiful neighborhoods, highly rated public schools AND a convenient location near shopping, restaurants, and the cultural scene. Ask a good real estate agent about some of these new neighborhoods.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte