U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 06:17 PM

49 posts, read 81,994 times

Advertisements

Will be working for a company close to UNCC location....need less than 30 minute commute. Will probably want to rent a single family home for the first year to make sure we are in the right location. Rent to 2k a month or so. Good to great schools a must, will have a junior and a 5th grader. Like the nice, standard suburban neighborhood, yard, we have a dog. Ideal would we in an area that has nice trees, pretty, that sort of deal. Maybe attached to scenic little downtown with good restaurants, etc. We lived in Huntington, Long Island and that was just about perfect for us.

I've been searching for "good school districts north charlotte" on the forum and haven't really hit much that has helped so far.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 04:50 AM

28 posts, read 40,670 times
Try looking in Cabarrus county around Harrisburg and the subdivisions off Rocky River Road. Close to I-485, 10 min to UNCC and best of all - great schools. Harrisburg Elementary / Patriots Elementary (depending on which subdivision), Hickory Ridge Middle School and Hickory Ridge High School. Plenty of nice suburban neighborhoods as you describe and with I-485, its close to everything. Plaza-Midwood and NoDa only 20 min away and about 30 min to downtown.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveMercy View Post
Try looking in Cabarrus county around Harrisburg and the subdivisions off Rocky River Road. Close to I-485, 10 min to UNCC and best of all - great schools. Harrisburg Elementary / Patriots Elementary (depending on which subdivision), Hickory Ridge Middle School and Hickory Ridge High School. Plenty of nice suburban neighborhoods as you describe and with I-485, its close to everything. Plaza-Midwood and NoDa only 20 min away and about 30 min to downtown.
Great. Any feedback on why this area might be better for me than the Concord area? I just started looking into this, know nothing about any of the areas. Thanks.

Old 04-16-2014, 06:33 PM

I wouldn't say Harrisburg is better than Concord. Concord has nice subdivisions, good schools and convenience as well. If you look at Concord, my advice is to look at the western Cabarrus areas that border Concord Mills, Highland Creek and up towards Huntersville around Skybrook. These areas are going to be the most convenient to Charlotte and UNCC plus have very good schools (Cox Mill on par with Hickory Ridge).

Harrisburg (Rocky River Road side) is convenient to I-485 and closer to the Charlotte areas I mentioned before - Plaza-Midwood and NoDa which are neighborhoods with a great vibe and unique restaurants. Also, closer to Matthews, SouthPark, downtown, etc. Once 485 loop is complete late this year, access to NorthLake Mall area and Huntersville will go from ~ 30 min to ~ 15 min.

Good luck on your search. Will be happy to provide more info - I have lived and raised a family in Cabarrus / Harrisburg since 1998 - feel free to DM me.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:46 AM

Thanks again. Researching further, I think I'll focus on Cox Mill HS neighborhoods. I've got a soccer player and a gymnast. Lake Norman Soccer Club is nearby, and Cox Mill has a great, and young, girls soccer team. Everest Gymnastics is close by and looks to be outstanding. So Moss Creek, Cabarrus Crossing, Skybrook (cabarrus side), Highland Creek, The Farm, Winding Walk, Christenbury Mews...?

Was looking at Craigslist and there are some amazing houses for rent that are relatively inexpensive. Love the housing prices down there!

Old 04-17-2014, 11:38 AM

3,784 posts, read 3,796,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmoore8 View Post
Thanks again. Researching further, I think I'll focus on Cox Mill HS neighborhoods. I've got a soccer player and a gymnast. Lake Norman Soccer Club is nearby, and Cox Mill has a great, and young, girls soccer team. Everest Gymnastics is close by and looks to be outstanding. So Moss Creek, Cabarrus Crossing, Skybrook (cabarrus side), Highland Creek, The Farm, Winding Walk, Christenbury Mews...?

Was looking at Craigslist and there are some amazing houses for rent that are relatively inexpensive. Love the housing prices down there!
I live in this area so if you have any questions please let me know. I don't have experience with the HS as my kids are almost 5 and 6 (just registered my daughter for Cox Mill elementary a couple of weeks ago). Look into Cannon Crossing as well. Highland Creek on the Cabarrus Side as well.

Old 04-17-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
I live in this area so if you have any questions please let me know. I don't have experience with the HS as my kids are almost 5 and 6 (just registered my daughter for Cox Mill elementary a couple of weeks ago). Look into Cannon Crossing as well. Highland Creek on the Cabarrus Side as well.
I know! I keep seeing your name pop up in the "Cox Mill" threads that I've searched. I'm not allowed to give you any more +'s, it says!

Can you sort of give me a flavor of the people that live there? We're from Philly originally, then Pittsburgh, Long Island...we aren't Republican or Religious or Southern. We've lived in a very conservative area for a long time so it isn't like we can't deal with it some more. I know Charlotte is a very popular destination for many people from Pittsburgh.

Old 04-17-2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:
I know! I keep seeing your name pop up in the "Cox Mill" threads that I've searched. I'm not allowed to give you any more +'s, it says!

Can you sort of give me a flavor of the people that live there? We're from Philly originally, then Pittsburgh, Long Island...we aren't Republican or Religious or Southern. We've lived in a very conservative area for a long time so it isn't like we can't deal with it some more. I know Charlotte is a very popular destination for many people from Pittsburgh.
I think you will find a good mix of backgrounds and encounter people from all over. As a suburb you will find it may have a more conservative leaning than closer in neighborhoods but not overtly so. There are certainly many transplants from the Northeast in this area.

I like Skybrook and Christenbury neighborhoods but all the ones mentioned are nice with varying price ranges.

My son plays for Lake Norman Soccer Club so let me know if you have any questions on the club, etc. He is U17 classic and it's his last year with the club since he leaves for college in the fall.

Old 04-17-2014, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveMercy View Post
I think you will find a good mix of backgrounds and encounter people from all over. As a suburb you will find it may have a more conservative leaning than closer in neighborhoods but not overtly so. There are certainly many transplants from the Northeast in this area.

I like Skybrook and Christenbury neighborhoods but all the ones mentioned are nice with varying price ranges.

My son plays for Lake Norman Soccer Club so let me know if you have any questions on the club, etc. He is U17 classic and it's his last year with the club since he leaves for college in the fall.
I think the seasons are reversed in NC vs. OH. Your high school season is in the spring, and the club season is in the fall? When does the club hold tryouts for fall season? When do they begin practicing for fall?

Old 04-17-2014, 01:41 PM

Quote:
I think the seasons are reversed in NC vs. OH. Your high school season is in the spring, and the club season is in the fall? When does the club hold tryouts for fall season? When do they begin practicing for fall?
For boys, high school season is the fall and club is the spring. Girls is the reverse. Clubs will hold tryouts May/June, regardless of which season they will start with club. Even though our club team didn't start playing until spring we still had a few practices as the boys could make it in the fall. We also played several fall tournaments as a club when it did not conflict with high school games.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte