Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 08:18 PM

401 posts, read 652,652 times

Advertisements

Planners ask: Who will build Charlotte’s next tower? | CharlotteObserver.com
There are only 2 skyscrapers that i know of under construction right now. The 22 story Element and the 53-story 210 Trade apartment/commercial tower. According to the link above Charlotte surely has something coming to it soon. To my assumption, in maybe late 2014-mid 2015 Charlotte and the Carolina's will have it's first 1,000+ foot skyscraper. The few choices I think would be possible for a Charlotte Skyscraper to get above that is-
The Vue tower (extension)
Trump Tower (He said that he didn't want to build a tower-but instead buy one already built)
Time Warner Cable (Arena is there already, might as well build above)
Sony Headquarters
New Bank of America HQ (BOA has alot of buildings around Charlotte. ALOT of buildings...)
Century Link (There is a pretty big office building in Fayetteville)
...And every other bank that exists
I believe that in short time Charlotte will stand to have United States 9th tallest building. But not before the population hits 900k or close to 1M.
Current population 2014 estimate= 860,000 people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 09:55 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,305,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmysmile View Post
The Vue tower (extension)
Trump Tower (He said that he didn't want to build a tower-but instead buy one already built)
Time Warner Cable (Arena is there already, might as well build above)
Sony Headquarters
New Bank of America HQ (BOA has alot of buildings around Charlotte. ALOT of buildings...)
Century Link (There is a pretty big office building in Fayetteville)
...And every other bank that exists
I believe that in short time Charlotte will stand to have United States 9th tallest building. But not before the population hits 900k or close to 1M.
Current population 2014 estimate= 860,000 people.
Those in bold will not definitely happen.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:00 PM

834 posts, read 1,002,928 times
121 West Trade is probably the nicest and will remain so, in my opinion.

When I was an ambitious career type I did a lot of career research based around the Charlotte skyline, only to find out they are all banks, government, apartments, law, and shady financial projects like discreet hedge fund management and empty head offices for foreign companies.. It hasn't changed..

Don't use them as economical indicators if you're looking for something positive..

Old 04-16-2014, 12:24 AM

1,445 posts, read 2,305,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJT View Post
121 West Trade is probably the nicest and will remain so, in my opinion.

When I was an ambitious career type I did a lot of career research based around the Charlotte skyline, only to find out they are all banks, government, apartments, law, and shady financial projects like discreet hedge fund management and empty head offices for foreign companies.. It hasn't changed..

Don't use them as economical indicators if you're looking for something positive..
I fail to see the problem.

Old 04-16-2014, 01:04 AM

834 posts, read 1,002,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austincool View Post
I fail to see the problem.
You don't see how most of the region not producing anything and having such buildings mostly uninhabited is a problem?

Old 04-16-2014, 07:02 AM

56 posts, read 105,935 times
Sony's HQ is in NY, and BofA's will be in a matter of time.

This thread is absurd. Charlotte will never see a 1,000' tower. Very few cities have them.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:40 AM

125 posts, read 241,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGrantham View Post
Sony's HQ is in NY, and BofA's will be in a matter of time.

This thread is absurd. Charlotte will never see a 1,000' tower. Very few cities have them.
BofA has been "moving" since 2009. That year was the last real threat of a move for their hq. Obama even met with the CEO in 2011 to reassure that they were going to maintain their presence in Charlotte. With Wells Fargo adding trading floors in Charlotte and talks of Bank of America moving theirs from NYC down, they're not going anywhere anytime soon. Oh and Sony headquarters is in Tokyo not New York.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:00 AM

56 posts, read 105,935 times
BofA's HQ location was not its chief concern during the financial crisis -- dealing with Countrywide and other messes was. As that subsides, it will move its HQ in the future. NY is the financial capital of the world and that's where top bankers are and where they want to be. Has Moynihan moved to Charlotte yet?

Sony's US HQ is in NY, genius.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:32 AM

125 posts, read 241,658 times
Wow being harsh over a message board, how fierce. A non-primary headquarters would not condone a 1,000 ft skyscraper is what I was getting at. The only place Sony would build one is in Japan, not the US.

I guess we will just have to see, in time. Besides, Moynihan still has kids in high school back in Boston, uprooting them would be pointless. You do not need to live in the city your company is headquartered in. My company is in San Francisco but I live in Charlotte, I don't need to live there to run it.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:16 AM

21 posts, read 62,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJT View Post
You don't see how most of the region not producing anything and having such buildings mostly uninhabited is a problem?
7% vacancy with no contiguous spaces over 100k sq feet is TOTALLY uninhabited. Let me tell you..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte