Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 07:44 AM

3 posts, read 27,676 times

Advertisements

I am looking to relocate to the Charlotte area and would like to get some "inside" information to better plan my trip. What are some of the better suburbs around Charlotte? Good schools, safe area, etc. I also enjoy several outdoor activities - biking, hiking, kayaking, running and horseback riding - are activities like these available?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2007, 01:08 PM

435 posts, read 1,814,596 times
Where will you be working? How do you feel in regards to commuting (time wise)?
I would stick with either the southern or northern parts of the city IMO. Those are the "newer" areas & are safe, clean, affordable (for the most part). If you can afford more you might want to look into some of the older established areas of Charlotte like Meyer's Park or Dilworth. You can still find horse stables in the outer lying areas of Charlotte (like down in SC or Union County- not sure about the northern part of the city). Charlotte is only a few hours drive to the mountains so if you want to go hiking or biking you can always take a trip up there. You are close enough that you can make it a day trip if you really want to.

Old 12-09-2007, 02:26 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,421,248 times
There's a lot of outdoor stuff to do around Charlotte. greenways, parks, a whitewater center, a couple of lakes, some small state parks. I live in Ft Mill, a suburb right next to Charlotte but in SC and like it a lot.

Old 12-10-2007, 02:48 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,550,237 times
I live right in Uptown Charlotte. But if you are looking for good school districts the 2 best in the whole Metro area are Mooresville, NC (city schools only) or Fort Mill, SC.

Commute into Charlotte from Mooresville would be 45min to 1hr normally and if it rains 1hr plus. Fort Mill commute on average is probably 30min but allow 45 if it rains.

If you stay in Mecklenburg County I personally think that Huntersville is great. And your commute would be about 30 minutes. Huntersville has boomed like crazy. And if you have 2 people in your car, they have HOV lanes coming from the North.

Good luck.

Old 12-10-2007, 02:55 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
I concur on the Huntersville. Best subdivisions to meet what you are looking for is Wynfield Forest and Cedarfield both of them have greenways for hiking or biking or running also Huntersville Park across from Rosedale is very popular for biking and runners; Huntersville has low crime.

You can horseback ride and Kayak at Latta Plantation within 4 minutes of those neighborhoods. Horseback (http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Park+and+Rec/Activities/Outdoors/Horseback.htm - broken link)

Old 12-10-2007, 09:07 PM

316 posts, read 394,779 times
Don't forget about Macaulay in Huntersville as well - easy commute to Uptown.

Old 12-11-2007, 02:16 AM

8 posts, read 37,960 times
Is the Matthews area any good? That's where my new job is, and I'm wanting to stay close to work. Here in Mississippi, I had a 5 minute drive to work (and I lived in the burbs just outside the city of Jackson), so I've become accustomed to a quick jaunt back and forth. Saves money on lunch, too.

Old 12-11-2007, 06:48 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,421,248 times
Matthews is nice, but the only thing I know about the schools are they are part of CMS (Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools).

Old 12-11-2007, 07:04 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,550,237 times
Matthews is very nice...however your options to get into the city (Uptown) are limited and VERY clogged during rush hour. You are looking at 1hr easy with no rain (PLEASE PLEASE rain) or wrecks, but if you don't work Uptown then that is not an issue.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:35 AM

221 posts, read 724,271 times
matthews is a very nice area. If you work and live in matthews your commute will not be bad. Go online to NC School Report Cards and look at schools in that area. There are tons of outdoor activities to do all around the city.....

Near matthews is also mint hill, waxhaw and pineville just to name a few other places you may want to look in to. Good luck!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte