Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 01:59 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,644,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
I moved from Charlotte to Phoenix and for me Charlotte is definitely more expensive. I find in Phoenix that groceries/gas/rent are definitely cheaper. I definitely see the savings.
You sure about that? I think it's pretty close and one of the great things about Charlotte is the proximity to SC. You can drive down to SC and save on some items if you plan accordingly

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 05-08-2014 at 06:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 02:01 PM

Here is the COL comparison for Boston vs Charlotte

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

It's definitely cheaper... I know groceries are expensive here but overall it's not even close.

Last edited by Yac; 05-08-2014 at 06:02 AM..

Old 04-24-2014, 02:38 PM

398 posts, read 746,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
if you would pay 2.5x's that amount a month for a place in Boston that should be your proof. Sure gas is expenses and I have no idea why but that rent/mortgage and taxes are where the real savings are in Charlotte.
Again, from my other post, that's NOT to say you can't find places to live in Boston for $650. I was comparing how I get the modern luxury down here for $650/month (with roommates) and if it was up North, it would cost me 2.5x's. But if I paid $650 up North, I'd just be living in an average apartment.. no frills, no pool, no gym.
I'm a single young prof, living with roommates and plan to until I get married/purchase a house. If I was working up North, paying $650/month for an 'average' apt but saving on groceries, gas, etc. then living cost isn't all that diff.

Now buying a house with a family, MAYBE that's a different story.

Old 04-24-2014, 02:53 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,339,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Uni View Post
Again, from my other post, that's NOT to say you can't find places to live in Boston for $650. I was comparing how I get the modern luxury down here for $650/month (with roommates) and if it was up North, it would cost me 2.5x's. But if I paid $650 up North, I'd just be living in an average apartment.. no frills, no pool, no gym.
I'm a single young prof, living with roommates and plan to until I get married/purchase a house. If I was working up North, paying $650/month for an 'average' apt but saving on groceries, gas, etc. then living cost isn't all that diff.

But you admittedly aren't comparing apples to apples. The same "average" apt in Boston that you can pay $650/month for with roommates is still probably 1.5-2x more than a similar "average" apartment with roommates in Charlotte.

Old 04-24-2014, 03:52 PM

870 posts, read 3,528,010 times
NC is one of the highest taxed states.
That cost of living chart is nothing but crap. I haven't seen any of those prices in years.
Housing is cheaper. Auto insurance used to be but has gone up every year and now I am paying more here than in PA. Utilities are not much cheaper plus Duke and Piedmont Gas keep jacking the costs up. Now we are about to pay for their problems as well. Internet and cable are about the same as the NE.
Food is not cheaper and restaurants are very expensive here for the quality of food you get. No difference in movies or entertainment.

Old 04-24-2014, 05:23 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,276,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmdpanc View Post
NC is one of the highest taxed states.
That cost of living chart is nothing but crap. I haven't seen any of those prices in years.
Housing is cheaper. Auto insurance used to be but has gone up every year and now I am paying more here than in PA. Utilities are not much cheaper plus Duke and Piedmont Gas keep jacking the costs up. Now we are about to pay for their problems as well. Internet and cable are about the same as the NE.
Food is not cheaper and restaurants are very expensive here for the quality of food you get. No difference in movies or entertainment.
The COLA depends on where you live in PA or anywhere for that matter (urban vs rural). Everybody clamors for certain amenities to be like back "home"....guess what comes with that? - back home prices. Charlotte has grown leaps and bounds in 20 years and so have many other sleepy little southern metros. Pick any large or urban metro in the northeastern corridor and everything up there is more expensive....not to mention the traffic woes to get to anything....restaurants, entertainment, etc.

The south is still a much better bang for the buck....Northern VA has it all...great restaurants, shopping, close to DC, etc...but it's one big parking lot.

Old 04-24-2014, 05:38 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,276,438 times
Quote:

It's definitely easier to get ahead financially in the south and the serious young professional can amass much more wealth in a shorter amount of time (all things being equal). It all depends on what a person values or opt to do in their leisure time. If the south is a good fit, I say go for it and don't look back.

For me, privacy (no roommates) was a priority once I reached 25+ and wish I had done it sooner, schools out, time to grow up.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:50 PM

Quote:

You keep changing the story...

Luxury vs average apt.

You could get an average apt with 1 roommate for $425 in University

Old 04-25-2014, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
But you admittedly aren't comparing apples to apples. The same "average" apt in Boston that you can pay $650/month for with roommates is still probably 1.5-2x more than a similar "average" apartment with roommates in Charlotte.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
You keep changing the story...

Luxury vs average apt.

You could get an average apt with 1 roommate for $425 in University
Well, if you want to compare 'apples' to 'apples' then it really isn't that much cheaper, that is comparing the luxury directly in DT Charlotte and the luxury in DT Boston. I really lucked out with my apartment because I got the Specials, having 2 roommates, and while it is close to Uptown and in a 'gated' complex, it's not exactly in the greatest areas of Charlotte (28208).

And I know you can pay cheaper rent in the University area but who would want to live out there, especially if you are young and new to the city lol. All the young prof I know who relocated all either live in/close to Uptown or in the South End. Anyways, what one of the previous poster said just makes sense with the uprising cost of apartments in the area. They jack up the prices because they can, with all the influx of people from other areas who are used to paying higher rent.

I'm just really surprised at the cost of everything else- sales tax, gas, etc. I'm not sure what the prices of gas is back up North now but when I first arrived, I noticed gas down here was at least 10 cents more.

Old 04-25-2014, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
It's definitely easier to get ahead financially in the south and the serious young professional can amass much more wealth in a shorter amount of time (all things being equal). It all depends on what a person values or opt to do in their leisure time. If the south is a good fit, I say go for it and don't look back.

For me, privacy (no roommates) was a priority once I reached 25+ and wish I had done it sooner, schools out, time to grow up.
Haha, I like Charlotte but I just don't think it's for me. I'm only down here for a year or 2 so it's nothing permanent. I really miss the variety of ethnic food choices where some is not even heard of here.. although, those choices are available in the bigger Southern cities which I haven't been to (Houston, Atlanta). Maybe I should move there instead before I pass judgement on the whole Southern part
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte