Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 07:23 PM

39 posts, read 47,933 times

Advertisements

Just moving here from Atlanta, I can vouch that gas prices are about 20 cents more per gallon. I filled up at $3.41 before I left on Sunday morning and just filled up again this morning at $3.62. As far as groceries, Harris Teeter does seem to be a bit on the high side. I for one welcome competition to the area and hope the recent acquisition by Kroger will help lower prices as well. Other food choices like restaurants seem to be about the same, if not cheaper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 07:57 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,807,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye75 View Post
Just moving here from Atlanta, I can vouch that gas prices are about 20 cents more per gallon. I filled up at $3.41 before I left on Sunday morning and just filled up again this morning at $3.62.
I'll quote GasBuddy again...they don't have a dog in the fight and prices are reported by local consumers

The cheapest gas in ATL today (not Sunday) is $3.52 at a CostCo in NW ATL; the 2nd cheapest was a full $.10 higher at $3.62 at a Sam's Club in NE ATL. The average n ATL is reported as $3.72 and the Georgia state average is $3.69.

How does that compare with Charlotte? Today's average is $3.63.....$.09 cheaper than ATL.
There's a $.40/gallon swing between the highest and lowest priced gas stations in the SAME market, so I think it's only fair to compare apples to apples.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:26 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,339,296 times
Since we're back on the topic of gas prices, I just realized...

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Uni View Post
I'm comparing it to all the towns/cities I stopped in to rest before reaching Charlotte and overall from the prices I have gathered, it's more expensive no matter where I went.
Coming from MA, I'm going to guess that you stopped for gas in NJ and VA? Those 2 states do actually have cheaper gas than NC. But I'm still not buying that it's more expensive here than in MA (and especially not "at least 10 cents more" as you had claimed at one point).

Old 04-30-2014, 05:50 AM

93 posts, read 184,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post

Coming from MA, I'm going to guess that you stopped for gas in NJ and VA? Those 2 states do actually have cheaper gas than NC. But I'm still not buying that it's more expensive here than in MA (and especially not "at least 10 cents more" as you had claimed at one point).
To be fair, NC gas tax is the highest in the region.
Theoretically, if shipping costs are equal, one would pay approx $0.14 a gallon less in MA than NC and $0.09/gallon less in GA. I'm sure this doesn't translate to actual savings as distance from refineries adds substantial increases to regional costs. However the perception of gas prices being higher than "home" is exaggerated when one travels 10 minutes to the state border gas station in SC and realizes they can save $0.30/gallon (my perceived savings, I could be way off).

Btw... I'm from originally from Florida, so negligible difference in fuel prices from my perspective.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:03 AM

1,166 posts, read 1,379,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinzone View Post
To be fair, NC gas tax is the highest in the region.
Theoretically, if shipping costs are equal, one would pay approx $0.14 a gallon less in MA than NC and $0.09/gallon less in GA. I'm sure this doesn't translate to actual savings as distance from refineries adds substantial increases to regional costs. However the perception of gas prices being higher than "home" is exaggerated when one travels 10 minutes to the state border gas station in SC and realizes they can save $0.30/gallon (my perceived savings, I could be way off).

Btw... I'm from originally from Florida, so negligible difference in fuel prices from my perspective.
I don't really understand the mindset that people complain about gas in other states being more expensive than 'home,' when at home, they know all the gas stations in the immediate vicinity and which ones are cheapest, and most often when they're traveling they're filling up at gas stations along the highway, or the first one they come across which as a general rule, are always more expensive no matter what state or town you're in.

As I said earlier in this thread, I don't even have to leave my own town, or travel more than 10 minutes before I'm looking at gas prices anywhere between 10-30 cents more per gallon than the cheapest gas station I know of that's most convenient to me.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:34 AM

398 posts, read 746,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisancbound View Post
I live in LA area. If youre concerned about high costs of living then you better start researching again. Gas is $4.29 a gallon. Milk is almost the same. A one bedroom average apt is about $1700/month. Tax on clothes in LA county is 9-10%. FYI
I'M NOT CONCERNED?!?!!??!
OMG!!!
people on this forum, hahahahahah.
I just mentioned how I'm surprised things are not as cheap as claim and people are assuming this or that. LOLLLLLLLLLLLLL.
And yes, I'm very aware of LA prices because 1. I've lived in OC 2. I have family all over SoCal 3. I go there twice a year.
I'm one of those ppl that loves California, from the bay to LA.
I. LOVE. CALI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Charlotte is a good place to be for young people but no city will fit everybody, plus there are plenty of ethnic food choices in Charlotte so using that as a reason to move is kind of over the top. I can understand relocating to a larger metro for a number of reasons but ethnic food? Sounds a bit high maintenance and out of touch with reality but to each their own. Actually, Charlotte does quite well in many areas for not being a major city and of course lacks in others.

I like LA, but prefer San Fran, go for it....no city/metro is "all things great"...pros and cons everywhere...there are uhauls loaded with people who can't wait to get the hell out of LA, Houston, Atlanta, Phoenix, etc. for all kinds of reasons.
Again, I never said I'm moving because of ethnic food!!!!!!!!!!
I think I mentioned that I am only here temporarily, a year or so, because my job requires me to. So a year's time I think I will be OK. I never intended CLT to be my perm home, I just said when I do move (and that being LA), I will get to enjoy the foods I missed as I wish. Again, Houston and ATL are just examples since people keep preaching how great and profitable it is to live in the South. So if I was ever stuck in the South, Houston/ATL could be the next best thing for me.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:44 AM

625 posts, read 488,374 times
If you're moving from here soon and are so eager to get out what's the point of your original post???

You wonder why people got defensive, but I see why if the original reason for your post was to put down Charlotte which some people love just as much as you love "Cali". Putting down one place to fluff up another is well...

I've visited California a few times -- can't stand it. Pretentious people, tons of traffic, smoggy (LA), expensive for what you actually get, and more homeless people than any other place I've been to (except for Honolulu which also has a huge homeless population). I did have a killer creme brulee-cheesecake desert at a Japanese restaurant in Santa Monica though, one plus from my visits. To each his own.

Let me guess, you're a recent college graduate? If so, that would explain a lot.

Last edited by SCCoqui; 04-30-2014 at 09:48 AM..

Old 04-30-2014, 09:50 AM

398 posts, read 746,242 times
Lol. I write one post, people get defensive and **** saying this and that. I didn't even bring up ANY OTHER places to 'fluff' them up until people started crying how I'm dissing Charlotte so bad when I wasn't even dissing. Dissing is what you just said about LA right there, am I crying and being defensive? No. People diss my hometown Boston alll the time, saying how we're arrogant *******s that has wicked accents and drive like Mass holes. Am I crying? Maybe it's my Boston attitude that gives me the skin to not give a ****.

This is how the whole thread went in 10 seconds, using ANOTHER city as an example before everyone start going off again:

Me: "I just moved to Seattle, it's so gloomy here. Rent is so much more expensive than what I was paying before I moved from Phoenix? And I noticed groceries so expensive beside the Seafood?"
Posters: "What?!?!? Are you serious!?!?! OH MY GODD!!!!! Did you not research groceries before you came???? How much more expensive can it be?? According to these sources, a box of cereal is about 0.2 cents less!!! Honestly, the wise and young should expect the Northwest region to be one of the better places to live! Specifically, Seattle!"
Me: "Um, ok???"

Lol, you are right. To each their own. Take it as me dissing Charlotte all you want. I'm done.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:29 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,644,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post

A better question is "when" did the OP gas up in Boston? Did they compare prices with Charlotte when they were in Boston filling up? I seriously doubt it....

Old 04-30-2014, 10:31 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,644,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Uni View Post
Lol. I write one post, people get defensive and **** saying this and that. I didn't even bring up ANY OTHER places to 'fluff' them up until people started crying how I'm dissing Charlotte so bad when I wasn't even dissing. Dissing is what you just said about LA right there, am I crying and being defensive? No. People diss my hometown Boston alll the time, saying how we're arrogant *******s that has wicked accents and drive like Mass holes. Am I crying? Maybe it's my Boston attitude that gives me the skin to not give a ****.
well.... you sound a little emotional because people challenged your opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte