Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 10:56 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,489,202 times

Advertisements

We moved here from SoCal and honestly, there were MANY things that were as expensive or more in NC. And there were so many free things to do in LA.

Real Estate was the most significant difference as it was much, much lower. Taxes were a bit lower, but not much.

The thing that hit us the hardest was that my husband's salary went down when we moved here. He is now almost back up to what he made in LA in 2006, but not yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 11:06 AM

398 posts, read 746,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozgal View Post
A few minutes of searching online and I found places that have mayo shrimp and soup dumplings on their menus in Charlotte. First page, first few hits google searches, too, so I am not exactly confident that you've really searched all that hard.

Unfortunately, a lot of eateries and restaurants don't have menus online which means that unless someone mentions a dish specifically in a review, it won't show up in an online search. You may have more success looking for restaurants by the specific and regional cuisines and then calling or actually visiting the restaurant to see if they have those dishes on their menu. Some dishes go by different names or variations in spelling that won't show up in a search either, and I doubt that it's a problem specific to Charlotte alone.
Where do you see mayo shrimp? Everything I'm pulling up is 'mayo shrimp' in 'sushi'.
As for soup dumplings, I'm not finding it either except for the dim sum restaurant which I am very wary- people are saying they are called that but it's not the actual dish, and I'm not talking about dumplings served in broth either. Guess I'm going to have to try.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
We moved here from SoCal and honestly, there were MANY things that were as expensive or more in NC. And there were so many free things to do in LA.

Real Estate was the most significant difference as it was much, much lower. Taxes were a bit lower, but not much.

The thing that hit us the hardest was that my husband's salary went down when we moved here. He is now almost back up to what he made in LA in 2006, but not yet.
Did he get a new job or was his job transferred from LA?

Old 05-01-2014, 11:29 AM

1,166 posts, read 1,380,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Uni View Post
Where do you see mayo shrimp? Everything I'm pulling up is 'mayo shrimp' in 'sushi'.
As for soup dumplings, I'm not finding it either except for the dim sum restaurant which I am very wary- people are saying they are called that but it's not the actual dish, and I'm not talking about dumplings served in broth either. Guess I'm going to have to try.
I think the Dynasty was the one I remember for the soup dumplings, along with the Dim Sum restaurant. I'm on my phone now and looked on my laptop last night so don't recall exactly.

As for the mayo shrimp, I don't remember where I saw that either. It's not something I've ever had!

I still think your best bet to find what's out there is to call around or network with foodies in the area. even if you don't find exactly what you're looking for, you might find and try something new along the way!

Old 05-01-2014, 12:39 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,808,135 times
Quote:
Dude. I DROVE from Boston to Charlotte, and the whole 16 hour ride, I filled the tank up 3 times.
Once in Boston.
Once in Virginia.
Once in Charlotte (next day).

I'm not comparing the prices "then" and "now". I don't live in Bos anymore, I don't know the prices. I was comparing the prices the FIRST day I arrived- are you saying I'm wrong too or the price change in 24 hours apart from filling my tank in Bos to Clt that drastic?
I thought I was quite clear. In your opening post you claimed that gas was more expensive in CLT than BOS. I disagreed and provided you a source that illustrated why you were incorrect. Just because you found a gas station in Charlotte that was higher than what you paid in Boston doesn't permit you to make sweeping statements about prices across the whole market. All it proves is that gas station A was more expensive than gas station B. Nothing more, nothing less.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:54 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,489,202 times
He got a new job in the same field. We almost didn't take it it was so low. But he wanted to leave LA (I did not, but that is a whole different post!) And, since we were able to walk away with nice chunk from the sale of our house, we went ahead and took the offer.

Dawn

Quote:
Did he get a new job or was his job transferred from LA?

Old 05-02-2014, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megax View Post
I thought I was quite clear. In your opening post you claimed that gas was more expensive in CLT than BOS. I disagreed and provided you a source that illustrated why you were incorrect. Just because you found a gas station in Charlotte that was higher than what you paid in Boston doesn't permit you to make sweeping statements about prices across the whole market. All it proves is that gas station A was more expensive than gas station B. Nothing more, nothing less.
And I did say that I collectively found multiple gas stations that were more expensive. So I pumped it from 1 gas station, does that mean I couldn't have drove around running errands to not see gas prices at other stations as I try to settle in?

Old 08-20-2014, 04:38 PM

3 posts, read 4,559 times
You are absolutely correct...That is why I moved back to Long Island things are closer less driving, less traffic here cus people know how to get around and drive here..Supermarkets here are cheaper
dinning is cheaper food is much better her in Long island and There is more to do here.. I lived in Charlotte for 12 yrs and came back to my hometown. I a women found a job in NY quick because Charlotte hires there own first unless you get transferred or a dumb job. And bought my own home in Long Island now coming to retire age U still will stay on Long Island because I know live in a beautiful 55+ community brand new and love it..I also know the electric and the water is very very expensive in NC.. Also one cable provider, Time Warner ..Hello were in the Millennium Technology Years... they need more cable companies !!! Hair dressers are out of there mind very very expensive..Anything with service is very expensive. Like Yoga Accupunture way less on Long Island I price everything thinking of retiring there but nope will not!!!

Old 08-21-2014, 10:40 AM

180 posts, read 344,839 times
We're coming to Charlotte for 4 days to consider relocating there - my husband's company will maintain his current salary, but not sure if he'd get much, if any raise. We have sort of concluded that we'll have to pay equal or more for a house in NC (south Charlotte) for it to be comparable to the house we have in NJ - but the taxes maybe $3-4K less per year then we're paying in NJ. But for 1/2 acre in a really good school district in a desirable area where everyone else wants to be -- I think we won't even be able to afford what we have in NJ. So if we do move to NC it won't be b/c its more affordable!!! I think the deciding factor will be the benefit of being in a family neighborhood with lots of kids for our children to play and go to school with - but guess it could be more affordable when it comes time to pay for college!! Our neighborhood in NJ doesn't really have lots of kids running around - just ours

I looked at the Catholic School tuition prices and they are more in NC then they are here!!!!!!! So that was a surprise too.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:17 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,341,353 times
NJ Person, unless your husband will lose his job if he doesn't move to Charlotte, it sounds like you're better off staying in NJ. Sounds like you're going to be constantly comparing everything to NJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte