Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 04:00 PM

4 posts, read 26,444 times

Advertisements

I've called all around, and, thanks to my other topic, found out that the max occupancy in Charlotte is two people per room, no set max on apartment. So, therefore, the single limit per room is created by the apartment complexes policy.

I was curious if anyone knows of an apartment within a close distance (within biking distance preferably, but at least within 5 miles) to UNCC that allows for 5 people to live in a 4-bedroom apartment. I've called most of all the "University" apartments, and it seems they are overheaded by a company, because I got the same response almost everywhere "One heartbeat per room policy."

Just curious if anyone knows of a place that allows five to six people to live in a four-bedroom apartment.

Thanks,

xazraelx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 04:03 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,663,379 times
How are they supposed to know you are cohabitating with your girlfriend anyway?

Old 11-27-2007, 04:24 PM

4 posts, read 26,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
How are they supposed to know you are cohabitating with your girlfriend anyway?
Well, they don't, technically. However, the only thing would be is if a maintenance person came in, the routine inspections happen, and they see female clothing in my closet, feminine products in the bathroom, etc. Other than that - they wouldn't know, but the thing is - if they find out, then I can get evicted, which means her nor I have anywhere to stay, seeing as how we live an hour away.

Old 11-27-2007, 04:52 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
tell them you do performances on sunday nights at Scorpios

Old 11-28-2007, 07:32 AM

674 posts, read 803,926 times
HAHAHAHAHA I have actually been to those shows, I have to admit.....good times

Old 11-28-2007, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xazraelx View Post
Well, they don't, technically. However, the only thing would be is if a maintenance person came in, the routine inspections happen, and they see female clothing in my closet, feminine products in the bathroom, etc. Other than that - they wouldn't know, but the thing is - if they find out, then I can get evicted, which means her nor I have anywhere to stay, seeing as how we live an hour away.
#1 They must inform you prior to inspections.

#2 9/10 you will be inviting maintenance to your apartment.

#3 9/10 maintenance people could care less what you have going on in your own apartment.

It is VERY unlikely you will have any issues. Think about how many people have apartments, meet a person, and that person moves in without letting management know. I'm sure it's more than you think.

Having said all that, that's a lot of people in a 4BR apartment. How much money are you actually going to save by cramming 2 additional people in there?

Old 11-28-2007, 09:22 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times
Naming everyone in the apt. as a lease holder or occupant isn't for convince it's mostly for safety. Who wants folks living beside them that didn't pass the criteria they had to? That means people that are wanted...questionable records...drug dealers.....people with no income....Most people that live in a apt. want to obey the rules set by the complex.... I'd like to think.

Second is if you have a person that is not an occupant or lease holder. They will not be able to get keys from the office on lock outs. They should not take their rent check. If they cause damages the lease holder is still the one responsible.

If they have a policy of 1 person per room then it is probably there for a reason. I can think of several off the top of my head. I would imagine 6 college kids in a 4 room apt would pretty much lend itself to problems just thinking back in my younger days. I eventually found out I don't really like living with roommates especially ones that end up sleeping on the couch every night that you eventually have to kick out to make leave. Someone needing to study and get up @ 6 a.m. while the other roommate is off the next day so they want to party till 2 a.m. then bring everyone home and blast the radio till 6 when your suppose to be up.....Opps sorry I went into to much detail......BF and GF spouts where it just goes on for hours....your not even in the relationship but have to go through all the bad crap that comes with roommates.

Having somewhere you can go to "get away" like your own room is greatly appreciated when you live with that many. I lived 5 in a 3 bedroom 2 bath...it started out as 3 moved to 5......

Just my .02 cent.

Last edited by BigJon3475; 11-28-2007 at 09:31 AM..

Old 11-28-2007, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
I would imagine 6 college kids in a 4 room apt would pretty much lend itself to problems just thinking back in my younger days. I eventually found out I don't really like living with roommates especially ones that end up sleeping on the couch every night that you eventually have to kick out to make leave. Someone needing to study and get up @ 6 a.m. while the other roommate is off the next day so they want to party till 2 a.m. then bring everyone home and blast the radio till 6 when your suppose to be up.....Opps sorry I went into to much detail......BF and GF spouts where it just goes on for hours....your not even in the relationship but have to go through all the bad crap that comes with roommates.

Having somewhere you can go to "get away" like your own room is greatly appreciated when you live with that many. I lived 5 in a 3 bedroom 2 bath...it started out as 3 moved to 5......

Just my .02 cent.
My sentiments exactly John. To not have a place of asylum would drive me crazy!!! To each his own I guess, but your detailed post may have given the OP some insight he may have not thought of before.

Old 11-28-2007, 12:35 PM

1,852 posts, read 5,218,076 times
Interesting.. I guess just keep calling around. But ultimatly, I had a 3 bedroom apt with 4 people at one point, there was no issue. She wasn't on the lease, so it was just a risk we took if she went crazy. It's a risk we took. Though, you may want to try a townhouse/home might be cheaper. In addition, there is a way to avoid putting everyone on a lease. You sign an agreement between the occuponts. Its a little more risky, but provides a little more coverage and works well in private engagements. Bob and Jenny sign the lease for the house. Tammi, Bill and Lisa move in and sign an agreement with Bob and Jenny saying they would be liable for XYZ, this could cover utilities, cable, phone, furniture etc. This helps because the lease only covers the apt/house.

Old 11-28-2007, 04:24 PM

273 posts, read 1,338,418 times
you should be able to have 5 people in a 4 bedroom no problem at all. How else are a couple with kids supposed to move into an apt? the dad sleeps in the living room, mom in the bedroom and kid in the 2nd bedroom? Also I'll second that maintenance coming in will be announced beforehand, and even when they do come in, its not like they know who is on the lease and who's not. They are just looking at a paper that says do "so and so job" They've been in my apt multiple times and seen my cat which is not registered with the apts, and they just assume that I've already registered and pet it and say its cute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: