Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2007, 10:00 AM

35 posts, read 82,013 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
My family and I are considering relocation to the Charlotte area from Southern California for a job opportunity through my current employer. I'd be working uptown on E. Morehead (Exit 9 off the 77). We have two children ages 5 and 2 1/2. We're looking for a lease at first so we can try out a particular area before making the commitment to buy. We're looking for good schools and a commute (regular rush hour) of 45 min or less. We'd like to rent (lease) first but would like to do so in the area and school assignmnt we intend to buy in. We're looking to spend $300-400K (or less if we found something we like in the 6-12 months after we make the move in Jan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 10:33 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,867,431 times
FOr that price range, you can move to most areas of Charlotte and be in good shape.

If you have the opportunity, I would come out here before relocating and take a look around and see what each area offers. South Charlotte is not a bad option. I lived in Raintree for years and went to school while there. Looking back, there are definately worse places to be.

I'm sure there will be many people who can tell you more about that area than I can since I haven't lived in that area in amost 10 years.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:36 AM

74 posts, read 101,296 times
Huntersville is very nice (suburb to the North)...but DON'T go any further North...or your commute will be hell...Ballantyne & South Charlotte are also great...but you are looking at an easy 45min - 1hr commute in traffic...I-485 in South Charlotte...usually starts crawling by 3pm...and doesn't ease until almost 7pm....Huntersville commute would be about 30 min...and have HOV car pool lanes (from the North only)...if you have 2 in the car also helps.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:46 AM

1,895 posts, read 6,183,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine73 View Post
Hi everyone,
My family and I are considering relocation to the Charlotte area from Southern California for a job opportunity through my current employer. I'd be working uptown on E. Morehead (Exit 9 off the 77). We have two children ages 5 and 2 1/2. We're looking for a lease at first so we can try out a particular area before making the commitment to buy. We're looking for good schools and a commute (regular rush hour) of 45 min or less. We'd like to rent (lease) first but would like to do so in the area and school assignmnt we intend to buy in. We're looking to spend $300-400K (or less if we found something we like in the 6-12 months after we make the move in Jan.
You will be able to find something in your price point in South Charlotte -- inside 51 would probably be a shorter commute than outside.

Did you want to lease a house or an apartment?

Old 12-10-2007, 10:50 AM

I'm interested in renting a house as I'd like a yard for the kids. I'm also looking to stay away from the Mecklenburg schools as I've heard there are some issues. I've heard some good things about Fort Mill or Tega Cay, SC... any thoughts on that? I'm looking for a commute that's no longer than 45 min at peak traffic if it's possible.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:54 AM

You could make it from Tega Cay to Uptown in 45 min...but there are gonna be those days (rain & wrecks)...that add alot of time to your commute...I had a friend that lived in Regent Park in Fort Mill off of Carowinds Blvd...he worked Uptown...he was 13 miles door to door and he could make it in 25 minutes...

Old 12-10-2007, 11:08 AM

Does Regent Park use the Fort Mills school system and is it a safe and family friendly area? It seems like I may have heard some negative things about Regent Park but I've done a lot of reading so I may have it confused with something else.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:17 AM

Only negative thin I can think of is the roads in Regent Park need repaving...other than that...you are 15 minutes from Uptown (non rush hour)...go out the back entrance of Regent Park and you are 2 miles from Pineville (5 minutes from Carolina Place Mall)...and YES...they go to the NEW high School in Fort Mill called "Nation Ford High School"

Golf course in Regent Park is GREAT...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte