U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 06:13 AM

17 posts, read 40,199 times

Advertisements

What is recommended age to bring children to Nascar Race? Is 3 too young? What about 6? If race starts at 6pm, what time should we arrive & how long does it last? Is traffic a nightmare? Sorry for all the questions - contemplating going to the Coca-Cola 600 w/4 kids but have never been. Not sure what to expect. Did see there was a "Family Section" though. Thoughts from anyone whose attended.......thnx
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2014, 06:25 AM

3,774 posts, read 7,525,467 times
the 600 is a looong race.

I've never been with kids, but you're talking 4 hours and possibly much longer.

3 is too young, IMHO. 6 is pushing it, but they MUST wear ear protection the ENTIRE TIME... so are they too young to keep their plugs in for 4+ hours? that's the question.

personally, I wouldn't consider taking a kid younger than 13 or so. There's lots of beer. It's long. It can be uncomfortable with the weather. Most adults I know fight boredom with mass quantities of beer, I'm sure young kids would be bored out of their minds. And since you're having to ask how long a 600 mile race is, I'm assuming that you and your kids aren't what I'd term "big fans". It takes an element of "big fandom" to make it tolerable. Either that or beer... lots of beer.

Old 05-03-2014, 06:35 AM

17 posts, read 40,199 times
Thanks for the response Native_Son. Correct, not "big fans" at all. Plus if we sat in family section, it said alchohol-free (LOL)!!! All my kids are under 10 so I am guessing they would be bored like you suggested. Thanks again for response.

Old 05-03-2014, 06:37 AM

22,974 posts, read 61,599,016 times
There isnt a age limit but do you really think a kid of young age will stay seated in one spot for average of five hours with all kinds of alcohol induce behaviors. Then the constant potty breaks Definitely get ear plugs for everyone.

Sky boxes would be ideal spot with kids that age.

Old 05-03-2014, 06:43 AM

3,774 posts, read 7,525,467 times
Sunny's suggestion is good too. If you can get an indoor viewing area with some noise protection that may be more doable.

The races are very, very loud. I think it always surprises people the first time they hear those engines fire up... you can feel the sound. Because it literally jiggles all your internal organs, lol.

Old 05-03-2014, 06:45 AM

2,152 posts, read 6,359,032 times
I absolutely would not take a kid to the Coca Cola 600. It is the longest race and most adults get bored there. The All Star Race would probably be a better bet since it's shorter and more action packed. There are also Dirt Track and Dragstrip races that would probably be better suited for a kid. Like Sunny said earplugs are a must. If you go to the speedway I would pay a little extra for the higher up seats rather than down low....

Old 05-03-2014, 07:00 AM

539 posts, read 1,396,159 times
I would suggest going to the truck race first. I believe they do the All-star qualifying the same night. It is an exciting race and is much shorter. Traffic is no problem as only a small section of the stands are open. we have gone to the truck race the last 3 years because I don't think my son could last for the full race and I don't want to deal with the traffic. There is no smoking anywhere and there are alcohol free zones. You can bring a small cooler with drinks and snacks to help keep the cost down if that is an issue. The truck race is also free for kids under 13. This would give you a good idea if you like it and also let you see how your child handles it. As others have said, hearing protection is a MUST.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:00 AM

395 posts, read 893,184 times
Unless your kids are "into" Nascar, I wouldn't take them. We are fans - not huge fans, but do follow it. We took out boys when the youngest 2 were about 7 and 9. It was a long race but they were fine. We did bring plenty of snacks and we allowed them to bring their handheld games to keep them occupied when they got bored. We are going this year and they are now 11 and 13 and I will probably still let them bring their games to keep them busy and we are sitting in the family section again to avoid the drunks LOL!

Old 05-03-2014, 08:06 AM

378 posts, read 642,121 times
Go to the allstar race, or a qualifying race. Those two are shorter.

The 600 is the longest race. I went once and will never go again.

Old 05-03-2014, 09:06 AM

8,402 posts, read 22,125,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
the 600 is a looong race.

I've never been with kids, but you're talking 4 hours and possibly much longer.

3 is too young, IMHO. 6 is pushing it, but they MUST wear ear protection the ENTIRE TIME... so are they too young to keep their plugs in for 4+ hours? that's the question.

personally, I wouldn't consider taking a kid younger than 13 or so. There's lots of beer. It's long. It can be uncomfortable with the weather. Most adults I know fight boredom with mass quantities of beer, I'm sure young kids would be bored out of their minds. And since you're having to ask how long a 600 mile race is, I'm assuming that you and your kids aren't what I'd term "big fans". It takes an element of "big fandom" to make it tolerable. Either that or beer... lots of beer.
That sums it up!

Not only have I been to ~150 races, but I know people who have kids that went also. I've never heard of a caring parent staying for an entire full length race, because their kid couldn't handle it. Noise, heat, boredom, etc.

OTOH, I worked a race in Atlanta where the white trash parents drank and smoked the whole time while their little kid screamed. Well, they did this until the police removed them. I wonder how the cops found out about the poor kid being neglected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: